What is a reasonable length of time for judicial externship?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
saladfiend

What is a reasonable length of time for judicial externship?

Postby saladfiend » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm

8 weeks? 9? 10?

lawloser22

Re: What is a reasonable length of time for judicial externship?

Postby lawloser22 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:52 pm

8 weeks or full summer seems typical

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I hate the idea of working an entire summer for free, full time. I know many people do it but ouch. It's almost like I'd rather do nothing and just risk it (I know that that is not smart, but still).

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 pm

This is perhaps bad luck, and definitely putting the cart before the horse, but I committed to 8 weeks.

Mostly because if my transfer app is successful, I'll need time to (a) move and (b) prepare for OCI. And like others, working full time without compensation for the *entire* summer somehow seems wrong.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I've heard (from clerks themselves) that 10 weeks is normal.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm

most people in my chambers were there for 8 last summer. i was splitting with a firm so i did 6. i didnt miss much, plus i was there every day while most of the others basically split within the week and worked something like M-W at the court and Th-F at a firm or a PI job or something like that. one girl just didn't want to work on Fridays. These things are pretty flexible.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

missinglink wrote:This is perhaps bad luck, and definitely putting the cart before the horse, but I committed to 8 weeks.

Mostly because if my transfer app is successful, I'll need time to (a) move and (b) prepare for OCI. And like others, working full time without compensation for the *entire* summer somehow seems wrong.

Which is why I'm going to get some type of waitress/hostess/promotions job this summer to make at least a little bit of spending money. I'll sacrifice my Friday/Saturday nights for any money at this point. My internship is supposed to contact me at some point over the next few months to set my weeks, but I really don't care about the length at this point.

I also have transfer hopes, but most of the schools that I'm applying to wouldn't require a significant move.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”