Has anyone studied for patent bar using PatBar's materials?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
skippy1

Has anyone studied for patent bar using PatBar's materials?

Postby skippy1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I have PatBar's study guides for the patent bar. Has anyone used these and passed the exam? The course is organized into 92 lessons - each taking about 1 hour. Some of the lessons don't seem to cover everything in the MPEP - wondering if that's ok for the exam. Thanks!

BarCliff

Re: Has anyone studied for patent bar using PatBar's materials?

Postby BarCliff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Only a very small portion of the MPEP is actually tested on the exam.

Furthermore, the exam consists of around 30-50% repeat questions. There are free patent prep websites, that don't even require you to make an account, in which users post recurring questions and their answers.

To answer your question directly, I don't know anything about PatBar, but I do know that only a fraction of the MPEP is routinely tested.

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I used PLI, and it was shorter - 32 ~1 hour lectures... plus some study materials, and a good piece of software for taking practice tests. When I took it, it was after 1L, so I had not yet taken a patent law class. As such, i did not really know anything about patent law. The PLI course was a good intro to patent law, which is somewhat needed for the exam... the rest was all about the little tricky spots that they like to try to mess you up with on the test. Since I had no understanding of patent law going in, I think the prep materials were of great value. Even if I already had some knowledge of patent law going in, it still likely would have been of value, since actual patent law is not really he focus of the test. It is the little tricky procedural stuff that they test you on, and PLI was good at highlighting this stuff

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

haberbe wrote:I used PLI, and it was shorter - 32 ~1 hour lectures... plus some study materials, and a good piece of software for taking practice tests. When I took it, it was after 1L, so I had not yet taken a patent law class. As such, i did not really know anything about patent law. The PLI course was a good intro to patent law, which is somewhat needed for the exam... the rest was all about the little tricky spots that they like to try to mess you up with on the test. Since I had no understanding of patent law going in, I think the prep materials were of great value. Even if I already had some knowledge of patent law going in, it still likely would have been of value, since actual patent law is not really he focus of the test. It is the little tricky procedural stuff that they test you on, and PLI was good at highlighting this stuff

What were your results? Did you pass on your first go?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm

i have seen the Bullseye materials recommended fairly often, and they are cheap ($30 i think)

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Yes, I passed on the first try. If you pass they do not tell you how you did, just that you passed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”