Our new CSO guy

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath

Our new CSO guy

Postby flcath » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 am

This happened a while ago, but I just read the email. Why is this guy working in a law school CSO? Is this normal?

(This is an email from the ND CSO; I've redacted the name for general propriety reasons, though you could obviously figure out who it is and there's nothing bad in it.) Begin email:

I am pleased to let you know that [name] will join our office next Monday, January 31 as Assistant Director for Public Interest.

[He] is a Yale Law grad and served on three law journals while at Yale. He earned his undergrad degree from Notre Dame and was Salutatorian for his class. He also has a Masters in Philosophy from the University of Cambridge, England.

[He] joined the Los Angeles office of Quinn, Emanuel, Urquhart, Oliver, Hedges after graduating from law school and after serving as a summer associate with the firm. In 2009, [he] returned home and focused on civil rights work with a small law firm in LeMars, Iowa. While pursuing degrees and a career, [he] found time to focus on community and public service activities. Americorps, Notre Dame’s Center for Social Concerns, the Pro Bono Network, the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center, and the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library are among his past activities.

Next Monday, please be sure to stop by Career Services, 1341 Biolchini Hall, and welcome [him] to our law school.

BeenDidThat

Re: Our new CSO guy

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 am

flcath wrote:This happened a while ago, but I just read the email. Why is this guy working in a law school CSO? Is this normal?

(This is an email from the ND CSO; I've redacted the name for general propriety reasons, though you could obviously figure out who it is and there's nothing bad in it.) Begin email:

I am pleased to let you know that [name] will join our office next Monday, January 31 as Assistant Director for Public Interest.

[He] is a Yale Law grad and served on three law journals while at Yale. He earned his undergrad degree from Notre Dame and was Salutatorian for his class. He also has a Masters in Philosophy from the University of Cambridge, England.

[He] joined the Los Angeles office of Quinn, Emanuel, Urquhart, Oliver, Hedges after graduating from law school and after serving as a summer associate with the firm. In 2009, [he] returned home and focused on civil rights work with a small law firm in LeMars, Iowa. While pursuing degrees and a career, [he] found time to focus on community and public service activities. Americorps, Notre Dame’s Center for Social Concerns, the Pro Bono Network, the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center, and the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library are among his past activities.

Next Monday, please be sure to stop by Career Services, 1341 Biolchini Hall, and welcome [him] to our law school.

Easy hours? Child to take care of? Doesn't like practicing law? Wants to chill the fuck out after being an overachiever for his whole life up 'til now?

But no, I don't think that's normal.

EDIT: He also could well be writing something for publication when he's not doing CSO work.

ShiftyPig

Re: Our new CSO guy

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 pm

How about you Google LeMars, Iowa and ask yourself if someone from there would be particularly excited about living in NYC or LA or Boston.

Dude obviously knows what he likes.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”