Closet gays in LS

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
td6624

Re: Closet gays in LS

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 am

ogurty wrote: coming out is a seriously complicated process for people who have actively pretended to be straight. It undoubtedly shuts you out of certain social groups - generally hyper-aggro types and just about any "fundamentalist" religious group - and it sounds like OP's "masculine, straight-acting" self might have some of those types as friends.

yeah this would have resonated with me a lot three years ago.

if my present self could go back in time and talk to my old self though i'd slap myself in the face and convince myself to JUST FUCKING DO IT ALREADY because it won't ever get any easier and being comfortable with oneself and one's friends (none of whom i lost... not even the occasionally-douchey super-hetero ones) is pretty awesome.

edit: i don't mean to imply that everyone's outcomes will be as smooth as mine were. but i think at 22 or over there's enough in your own control to overcome whatever bumps may present themselves.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

Juff wrote:
TommyK wrote:
kkklick wrote:I'm of the philosophy that I don't care if you're gay, just stay away from me lmao

I'm of the philosophy that you sound like a douchebag.

Affirmed.

Taken on writ of cert by the supreme court where the holding of the lower court is AFFIRMED. Douche.

BlueDevil2007

Postby BlueDevil2007 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:09 am

Do any current students feel like their school is NOT accepting of LGBT people? I am interested to know. For example, I've applied to Wake and W&L which are in the south and in, what I assume to be, conservative areas. However, I really don't know what the atmosphere is like.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

BlueDevil2007 wrote:Do any current students feel like their school is NOT accepting of LGBT people? I am interested to know. For example, I've applied to Wake and W&L which are in the south and in, what I assume to be, conservative areas. However, I really don't know what the atmosphere is like.

I'm in Texas, at SMU, and no.

No one cares.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 am

Is it wrong to secretly want a gay/lesbian friend when one is straight?

Thoughts?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 am

ogurty wrote:
SBL wrote:Wtf? Why? Just come out, no one in law school cares unless you're at Regent or something.

I know this is what most straight west-coasters think, and in reality it's true almost everywhere, but coming out is a seriously complicated process for people who have actively pretended to be straight. It undoubtedly shuts you out of certain social groups - generally hyper-aggro types and just about any "fundamentalist" religious group - and it sounds like OP's "masculine, straight-acting" self might have some of those types as friends.

I don't know what "hyper-aggro types" are, but they (and fundamentalists) don't really sound like they're worth chilling with anyhow.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 am

SBL wrote:
ogurty wrote:
SBL wrote:Wtf? Why? Just come out, no one in law school cares unless you're at Regent or something.

I know this is what most straight west-coasters think, and in reality it's true almost everywhere, but coming out is a seriously complicated process for people who have actively pretended to be straight. It undoubtedly shuts you out of certain social groups - generally hyper-aggro types and just about any "fundamentalist" religious group - and it sounds like OP's "masculine, straight-acting" self might have some of those types as friends.

I don't know what "hyper-aggro types" are, but they (and fundamentalists) don't really sound like they're worth chilling with anyhow.

hyper-aggro = hyper agressive???
if so, i agree, they dont seem like fun people to hang out with- seems to be too much drama

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Is it wrong to secretly want a gay/lesbian friend when one is straight?

Thoughts?

as long as you're not plotting on molesting them when they're unconscious or anything then no i don't think so

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 am

See, here's the thing with closet LGBT in my book:

You rub your chin for approximately 3-4 minutes trying to find any instances in your mind that would have hinted at it. You then say something along the lines of either "cool" or "ew." and that's pretty much it.

Now, closet straights are a lot more interesting.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 am

td6624 wrote:
BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Is it wrong to secretly want a gay/lesbian friend when one is straight?

Thoughts?

as long as you're not plotting on molesting them when they're unconscious or anything then no i don't think so

I think it might indicate something is wrong that its a secret wish, yes.

You sound like a serial killer.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 am

I actually don't think (unless the poster has a long history of such nonsense) that that poster should have been banned for a week without letting him explain. He might have just been acting like an immature college aged dude that was making a "I don't want you trying to get into my pants gay guy" kind of statement that you see on t.v. constantly and appears to be culturally acceptable in pop culture. He might not have actually been saying that he hates gays.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am

ok.....IBTL

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 am

A'nold wrote:I actually don't think (unless the poster has a long history of such nonsense) that that poster should have been banned for a week without letting him explain. He might have just been acting like an immature college aged dude that was making a "I don't want you trying to get into my pants gay guy" kind of statement that you see on t.v. constantly and appears to be culturally acceptable in pop culture. He might not have actually been saying that he hates gays.

ugh really

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:28 am

td6624 wrote:
A'nold wrote:I actually don't think (unless the poster has a long history of such nonsense) that that poster should have been banned for a week without letting him explain. He might have just been acting like an immature college aged dude that was making a "I don't want you trying to get into my pants gay guy" kind of statement that you see on t.v. constantly and appears to be culturally acceptable in pop culture. He might not have actually been saying that he hates gays.

ugh really

:?: Are you really going to take what I said as agreeing with what he said? Please re-read my post and get back to me.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:29 am

A'nold wrote:
td6624 wrote:

ugh really

:?: Are you really going to take what I said as agreeing with what he said? Please re-read my post and get back to me.

that's not how i took it

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

td6624 wrote:

Thoughts?

And, IBTL.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

td6624 wrote:

ugh really

Really. It was a terrible thing to say, but it was an innocent one. To inform the OP that even passive intolerance is offensive to the vast majority of us on this board would be one thing, but the mods around here have gotten pretty suspect with how the wield authority.

Grades must be out.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

It was in poor taste and not in the Lounge. They've been pretty clear that all bullshit is to be constrained as much as possible to the Lounge.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

The real question is, which school is it worse to be gay at, BYU or Notre Dame?

....Or New York Law School?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

0L, but, a gay guy hit on me when I was out with some friends a few weeks back. I was actually kind of flattered and even though I am strictly into the ladies.

Seriously, it is 2011. If you have a problem than go join Fred Phelps and his band.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 am

Thoughts?

I'm a straight dude and I actually have a lesbian friend, shes annoying as shit sometimes but shes cool overall. When I see her she gives me a pound/kiss on the cheek combo, I actually find it pretty hilarious.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 am

SupraVln180 wrote:The real question is, which school is it worse to be gay at, BYU or Notre Dame?

....Or New York Law School?

I think you can get kicked out of BYU for being gay theres something in their honor code about it

edit wait nevermind you can't, but it sure doesnt sound very welcoming if you are gay

Homosexual Behavior

Brigham Young University will respond to homosexual behavior rather than to feelings or attraction and welcomes as full members of the university community all whose behavior meets university standards. Members of the university community can remain in good Honor Code standing if they conduct their lives in a manner consistent with gospel principles and the Honor Code.

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity. Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.
Last edited by dr123 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

getitdone

Postby getitdone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 am

I mean the idea of taking it in the butt is quite disturbing to me!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 am

getitdone wrote:I mean the idea of taking it in the butt is quite disturbing to me!

i love that you put an exclamation point there

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 am

If moderators have reason to believe someone is being a racist/homophobe, you're going to get some time off, even if we've just horribly misunderstood you. That's just the way we run things here. If you don't like it, there's always stormfront.org.

Meanwhile, this thread... is on thin ice. Being in the closet in LS is a legitimate topic of conversation, but the letters-to-Penthouse-style OP and lack of worthwhile discussion have me beginning a mental IBTL countdown, so participants, ye all be warned to be on good behavior.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”