Best Civ Pro Supp for FRCP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

Best Civ Pro Supp for FRCP

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 pm

So at my school Civ Pro is split into two semesters, first being jurisdiction, and the second being FRCP. I used the E&E and the Glannon Guide for the first semester and they were great. I feel though for FRCP they're not as good. Glannon only touches upon some of the FRCP and a few we're not even doing in class. Then my prof does some, that Glannon does not cover. I have the Friedenthal casebook if that helps at all. Any further suggestions.

missinglink

Re: Best Civ Pro Supp for FRCP

Postby missinglink » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

For the the non-jurisdictional stuff, I found "The Glannon Guide" to Civil Procedure to be pure gold. My school similarly splits up CivPro into two parts, leaving jurisdiction for CivPro II.

Just take note that the FRCP was recently updated, and some of the time periods with respect to amending complaints, and response times were changed. Those changes aren't reflected in the book.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I had FRCP last semester and GlannonGuide and the EE worked fine for me, but I heard a few people in the other section using this for this semester.

http://www.amazon.com/Students-Federal- ... 0314904727

Never used it before so I can't offer any insight myself.

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Gensler for free on westlaw

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 pm

My class is split into two as well. Glannon Guide and the E&E worked fine for the FRCP section. He doesn't lay it out rule by rule, he incorporates it into the larger picture.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 am

kalvano wrote:My class is split into two as well. Glannon Guide and the E&E worked fine for the FRCP section. He doesn't lay it out rule by rule, he incorporates it into the larger picture.

It seems to me like he does not cover every important rule thought, and some like Rule 8 he really only has a sentence on, withoutb going into the nuisances. While my prof spent like in hour in class going over Rule 8 and Rule applicable cases. Maybe i should read the commentary in the actual FRCP supp, that I'm sure all civ pro classes get assigned.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:04 am

I seem to remember the Glannon Guide covering Rule 8. There really isn't that much nuance to that rule. Half the battle is just memorizing the FRCP anyways.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My class is split into two as well. Glannon Guide and the E&E worked fine for the FRCP section. He doesn't lay it out rule by rule, he incorporates it into the larger picture.

It seems to me like he does not cover every important rule thought, and some like Rule 8 he really only has a sentence on, withoutb going into the nuisances. While my prof spent like in hour in class going over Rule 8 and Rule applicable cases. Maybe i should read the commentary in the actual FRCP supp, that I'm sure all civ pro classes get assigned.

You're misreading the E&E. It's chapter 15, I believe. It covers a lot of Rule 8, it just doesn't explicitly say "This is Rule 8(a)(2)" or whatever. If you want a good overview of how the rules work and what they do, then the Glannon Guide / E&E is for you. If you a guide that says "This is Rule 8(B) - here is what it is. This is Rule 8(b)(2), here is what it is....), then look elsewhere.

I liked having the overview of the rule explained, because the rules themselves are pretty easy to read. Once you understand what each rule section is supposed to do, then explaining it on an exam is easy.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Has anyone heard of Sum & Substance Quick Review on Civil Procedure? Its by the authors of my casebook, thought it might be worth buying, only 15 bucks, but wanted some other input if anyone knows.

adude

Postby adude » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Glannon is best!

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:

You're misreading the E&E. It's chapter 15, I believe. It covers a lot of Rule 8, it just doesn't explicitly say "This is Rule 8(a)(2)" or whatever. If you want a good overview of how the rules work and what they do, then the Glannon Guide / E&E is for you. If you a guide that says "This is Rule 8(B) - here is what it is. This is Rule 8(b)(2), here is what it is....), then look elsewhere.

I liked having the overview of the rule explained, because the rules themselves are pretty easy to read. Once you understand what each rule section is supposed to do, then explaining it on an exam is easy.

Ok, I 'll take another look at the Glannon books. How did your prof test FRCP on your exam, my prof is new and has no old exams. He also said that for FRCP the majority of the questions will be multiple choice, but I am not sure how he will incorporate them into MC.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Also chapter 15 in my E&E is joinder not rule 8

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Glannon's MC guide

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Also chapter 15 in my E&E is joinder not rule 8

Pleadings starts in Part IV of the E&E, 6th edition. Chapter 18, I think. If you don't have the 6th edition, upgrade.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Ok, I 'll take another look at the Glannon books. How did your prof test FRCP on your exam, my prof is new and has no old exams. He also said that for FRCP the majority of the questions will be multiple choice, but I am not sure how he will incorporate them into MC.

A fact pattern about discovery and then applying certain rules to it.

Ginsburg, J.

Postby Ginsburg, J. » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 pm

rupert.pupkin wrote:Gensler for free on westlaw

This.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Ginsburg, J. wrote:

This.

link?

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:56 am

I liked Erichson's Inside Civ Pro personally. Recommended by the professor so obviously it was good for my purposes.

E&E is also pretty decent

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 am

I had this same issue my first year. The E&E is great for civ pro generally, but there are a TON of rules from the FRCP that are either not covered or not covered sufficiently. I found emanuels pretty helpful, but it was incredibly dry reading (unlike the E&E). Emanuels covers all the important parts (i.e. parts you might be tested on) of pretty much all the FRCP rules.

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:
Ginsburg, J. wrote:

This.

link?

FRCP RC database. Go to the rule you're working on and you will get the rule text and a detailed explanation of how it works, interacts with other rules, may be applied differently etc.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”