Con Law: Read Casebook?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschooliseasy

Con Law: Read Casebook?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 pm

I have the Chemerinsky casebook and have been reading the treatise as well. It turns out to be tons of reading. It also seems like all important aspects of the cases are articulated in the hornbook. Any insight on whether it would be prudent to just quit reading the casebook in favor reading the treatise more carefully?

Renzo

Re: Con Law: Read Casebook?

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:59 pm

It depends on the prof. It would have been ruinous in my Con Law class, but I had the best Con Law professor on the planet, so I never cracked a supplement.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Renzo wrote:It depends on the prof. It would have been ruinous in my Con Law class, but I had the best Con Law professor on the planet, so I never cracked a supplement.

I have an absolutely terrible, rambling old man for a professor. He hasn't taught in years. Why would it have been ruinous in your class?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Having the same issue, I can't bring myself to not read something that is actually assigned, though.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:16 pm

traehekat wrote:Having the same issue, I can't bring myself to not read something that is actually assigned, though.

Exactly. It seems so wrong, but I consistently find myself getting nothing out of reading the casebook. And it takes forever.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Just read chemerinsky. Pay attention in class and add to your outline if the prof actually says something you find valuable that was not covered in chem's book. At least that is what I'm doing. Additionally, it seems like my prof always discusses the gray areas that chem covers really well. I can almost predict the kind of questions/nuances we are going to be discussing in class that day.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Renzo wrote:It depends on the prof. It would have been ruinous in my Con Law class, but I had the best Con Law professor on the planet, so I never cracked a supplement.

Who is the best con law prof on the planet?

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Quick question... Should I purchase Chem's or the E&E for conlaw?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Veyron wrote:

John Yoo.

And TCR seems to always been Chem over E&E.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
Veyron wrote:

John Yoo.

Nice.

I guess I had the second-best: Kenji Yoshino.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
Veyron wrote:

John Yoo.

But Chem doesn't have any practice problems. How have people managed to get around the lack of practice questions?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

huckabees wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
Veyron wrote:

John Yoo.

But Chem doesn't have any practice problems. How have people managed to get around the lack of practice questions?

Practice Exams

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 am

Renzo wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
Veyron wrote:

John Yoo.

Nice.

I guess I had the second-best: Kenji Yoshino.

Oh yah, he moved from Yale.

Damn, I didn't love NYU law when I visited but there is no doubt that all the best professors are migrating there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”