What should I do to prepare for law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thecilent

Gold

Re: What should I do to prepare for law school

Post by thecilent » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 am

Stringer6 wrote:Any suggestions or reading materials on "working a happy hour"? This sounds horrifying. I despise these types of social situations, although i guess i could buckle down if it really mattered. And when are these happy hours? 1L?
Lol Oh man.

I think it's awesome that firms do this. Happy hours are the best hours of the days.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 pm

Learn to type really really really fast.

Browse Facebook in class.

If you do both, guaranteed top 5%.

towkthi

New

Post by towkthi » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 pm

This thread has been very interesting. Like Judge Phillip Banks, I'm a 0L lurker and I've got questions about 1L summer employment. I've been looking through NALP to see who hire's summer 1Ls but the results for Chicago only list 15 organizations. Does that sound right? It just seemed like such a low number for a city like Chicago that I feel like I'm looking in the wrong place. What sort of other organizations do summer 1L hiring? I know there are judicial internships, etc.

thanks in advance

slacker

New

Post by slacker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:03 pm

What exactly is considered "fast" when it comes to typing? Anyone have an actual words per minute that you have in mind? Just wondering.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 pm

slacker wrote:What exactly is considered "fast" when it comes to typing? Anyone have an actual words per minute that you have in mind? Just wondering.
got this from NALP:

Code: Select all

A+: 200
A: 180
A-: 150
B+: 120
B: 100
B-: 80

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 pm

fatduck wrote:
slacker wrote:What exactly is considered "fast" when it comes to typing? Anyone have an actual words per minute that you have in mind? Just wondering.
got this from NALP:

Is this for real? How can you be expected to type that many wpm while trying to articulate a well written answer within 3 hours? Why do the amount of words/pages matter in terms of grading anyway? I had the notion that it was better to be concise and accurate rather than verbose. Or maybe I'm wrong and that many words is considered concise in law school...

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

Ha. Too true.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I know that the competition for LR starts almost immediately after finals are done here, but you're going to start doing some legal writing and bluebooking pretty early into your first semester. Eugene Volokh, in his book on legal writing and law review competitions, stresses that you should be extremely familiar with the bluebook and a general/legal style guide long before that time even rolls around. You'll save yourself some time and anxiety if you're already plugged into those guides. And unlike law courses for the most part, which can differ wildly from professor to professor, generally speaking, what's good bluebooking/writing at Harvard is good bluebooking/writing at Cornell which is good bluebooking/writing at UIUC.

Oh, and I forgot something else. This may sound ridiculously premature, but get some of your 1L summer job stuff done before you start LS. You're going to be overwhelmed as things get moving and around Dec. 1st, you're probably going to be feeling the walls of your first exams start to close in. This is really my biggest regret re: 0L prep. I wish to god that I had the foresight to take care of the bulk of all things 1L summer early on.
I've heard the bolded a couple times and def planned on working on that. Never heard about familiarizing with bluebooking though. Any recommendations on style guides? thanks btw
I would recommend Garner's Redbook for legal writing. You might as well pick up Volokh's "Academic Legal Writing" now (there shouldn't be a new edition for another 2-3 years, and you're going to buy it anyway, so why not). A lot of different guides will do for general grammar/usage. I liked Strunk & White.
Credited.

Strunk and White will benefit you in every aspect of your legal writing.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 pm

ogurty wrote:OP: As someone who did a bit of 0L prep and then did well first semester, here's my advice:

Read Getting to Maybe and the most well-respected articles on TLS on doing well in law school - xeoh, Arrow, etc. Everything else was pretty useless for me.
If you can't type fast, learn to.
Otherwise, just get as much of your life in order as you can so you have as much time as possible to focus on school. Have a pretty solid exercise regimen. Get an idea of how you'll eat healthfully while at school. If you're commuting, make sure your car is in good shape - something I wish I'd done.

Read a bit of E&Es if it relieves your anxiety - it can't hurt - but after going through a semester of school, I'm solidly in the camp that says it won't help. They'll only help once you have an idea of what your professor is looking for.
As another 1L who was quite satisfied with his first semester grades, this post gets a +1 from me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

adonai wrote:
fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

Is this for real? How can you be expected to type that many wpm while trying to articulate a well written answer within 3 hours? Why do the amount of words/pages matter in terms of grading anyway? I had the notion that it was better to be concise and accurate rather than verbose. Or maybe I'm wrong and that many words is considered concise in law school...
As hard as it is to believe (and trust me I'm still having a hard time grasping it) a lot of kids can type that fast and still come up with a well written answer. You really need to learn how to type rapidly before you get to law school. As far as the "it's better to be concise and accurate" thing, there's some truth to that, but here's the reality. Essentially everyone taking the exam will be writing accurate arguments. Consequently, if everyone's writing accurate arguments, but someone is writing less (quantity wise) accurate arguments than someone else, that means they are getting less points. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of 1L law exams are variations on the issue spotter style exam. On an issue spotter exam the name of the game is to write accurate well written answers about as many issues as possible.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
adonai wrote:
fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

As hard as it is to believe (and trust me I'm still having a hard time grasping it) a lot of kids can type that fast and still come up with a well written answer. You really need to learn how to type rapidly before you get to law school. As far as the "it's better to be concise and accurate" thing, there's some truth to that, but here's the reality. Essentially everyone taking the exam will be writing accurate arguments. Consequently, if everyone's writing accurate arguments, but someone is writing less (quantity wise) accurate arguments than someone else, that means they are getting less points. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of 1L law exams are variations on the issue spotter style exam. On an issue spotter exam the name of the game is to write accurate well written answers about as many issues as possible.
I really, really doubt anyone is typing essay responses at over 100 wpm (and I can break 200 on typing tests)

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
adonai wrote:
fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

0L here, but I also really doubt how true it is that one's typing speed is a key ingredient to success. Do the professors really give out exams that people who type at 65 wpm (like myself :oops: ) cannot get an A on? I know that exams are curved, but I have a hard time believing that just because I might be slower than average at typing that I will be unable to write an above average exam. Again, I doubt professors would be so dumb to make the exam a speed typing competition.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37 pm

I have found law school grading to be much more arbitrary than one would hope. Is it impossible for a slow typist to earn an A? No. Would it be easier if that person could type faster? Yes. That is because some professors use ridiculous hypos for the exam with more issues than anyone can address in the timeframe. Some profs admit that even they could not find all the issues in the allotted time. Plus, a lot of profs use a point system where they keep increasing your score for every issue that you analyze correctly. Fast typers can write about more issues. Even if you're not typing the entire time, getting your thoughts down quickly will give you more time to look over the hypo for more issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm

JazzOne wrote:I have found law school grading to be much more arbitrary than one would hope. Is it impossible for a slow typist to earn an A? No. Would it be easier if that person could type faster? Yes. That is because some professors use ridiculous hypos for the exam with more issues than anyone can address in the timeframe. Some profs admit that even they could not find all the issues in the allotted time. Plus, a lot of profs use a point system where they keep increasing your score for every issue that you analyze correctly. Fast typers can write about more issues. Even if you're not typing the entire time, getting your thoughts down quickly will give you more time to look over the hypo for more issues.

This post is an incredibly accurate summation of what I was trying to get across.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks for all the pro advice here JazzOne, incredibly helpful as always.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 am

missinglink wrote:
fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

Ha. Too true.

Guys, this is not real.

. . .

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:50 am

Really useful information overall, thanks :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 am

Ended up good. But don't cross Helmzy. He isn't a judicious use of power type guy.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:41 am

2011Law wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: As hard as it is to believe (and trust me I'm still having a hard time grasping it) a lot of kids can type that fast and still come up with a well written answer. You really need to learn how to type rapidly before you get to law school. As far as the "it's better to be concise and accurate" thing, there's some truth to that, but here's the reality. Essentially everyone taking the exam will be writing accurate arguments. Consequently, if everyone's writing accurate arguments, but someone is writing less (quantity wise) accurate arguments than someone else, that means they are getting less points. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of 1L law exams are variations on the issue spotter style exam. On an issue spotter exam the name of the game is to write accurate well written answers about as many issues as possible.
0L here, but I also really doubt how true it is that one's typing speed is a key ingredient to success. Do the professors really give out exams that people who type at 65 wpm (like myself :oops: ) cannot get an A on? I know that exams are curved, but I have a hard time believing that just because I might be slower than average at typing that I will be unable to write an above average exam. Again, I doubt professors would be so dumb to make the exam a speed typing competition.
I think it depends on what you're writing. I type about 65 wpm, and I spend a lot of time reading the prompt and outlining my answer during exams. This meant that all of my exams were shorter than most last semester. However, I apparently did well on all of them. I was talking to one of my profs about my exam the other day, and he said he liked that my essays were all very clear, organized, and had a good amount of analysis. Multiple profs have told me that said that a bunch of people always write several pages that don't earn them any points. It's not that what they write is inaccurate or wrong, it just doesn't help.

I'm not at all saying that writing a lot is a bad thing. I'm just trying to say that writing a shorter exam won't doom you. If you make every word count, are organized, and give each issue the attention it deserves, you can still have one of the top essays in the class.

vtoodler

Bronze

Post by vtoodler » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

What are E&E's?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

vtoodler wrote:What are E&E's?
It stands for ephedrine and egotheism- the two secrets to acing law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm

vtoodler wrote:What are E&E's?
Ecstasy and Eulogies

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:39 pm

fatduck wrote:you should buy all the E&Es and read them in page order

i.e. read every page 1, then every page 2, etc.

you'll absorb the info better this way, especially if you are drunk

Your picture is rowdy

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:42 pm

fatduck wrote:
got this from NALP:

:shock: :shock: Good Lord! Please tell me you're kidding! I'm at about 90wpm, and I thought I'd be doing good to crack 100... WTF?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Stringer6 wrote:Any suggestions or reading materials on "working a happy hour"? This sounds horrifying. I despise these types of social situations, although i guess i could buckle down if it really mattered. And when are these happy hours? 1L?
I hate that shit too. I wouldn't even waste my time if I were you. Networking is highly overrated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”