Reading in 2L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DiscoveryDeadline

Reading in 2L?

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 am

I know this is touched on a little in a thread about whether 2L is easier than 1L, but I came here to specifically start this topic.

I have been really trying to pound the books and read with as much dedication as I did in 1L. I'm starting to feel like it is a waste of precious time that could be better spent, even as relates to the class itself (outlining, starting to peruse practice tests, etc., etc.).

Particularly in non-Socratic classes, how have some of you done when you finally decided to either: (1) Completely blow off reading, at least on occasion; (2) Skim; (3) Rely totally on class discussion, lectures, supplements, etc.

I'm very curious, because like a lot of us, I'm trained to think that if I miss one sentence in the reading, then I'll be at the bottom of the curve. We're just so trained to read every word assigned to us. But I'm starting to suspect that sometimes I do myself more harm by reading diligently than if I used the time in other ways. The opportunity cost of dissecting sentences I'm never going to be expected to be grilled on seems high.

Oh, and for whatever it is worth, I'm at a T6 with a biglaw job next summer, so theoretically I'm positioned pretty well (though we all know that there are no guarantees). I'm not bragging at all. I really, really mean that. I only bring it up because it might play into whether you think it is worth it to approach 2L (and 3L) classes in one way or another. I will gladly take that information out of the post if anybody thinks it is offensive or potentially distracts from the rest of the post (i.e. people will be less apt to offer input if they think I'm a douche).

Just curious for some real discussion on how people approach second and third year reading.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Re: Reading in 2L?

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:26 am

3L here (with a job lined up, fwiw). I always read/go to class. I may not do anything else for the first 12 weeks of the semester, but I make sure to do that. I've stopped briefing cases (I did this 1L year and thought it was helpful to have blurbs about cases from cases I read early in the semester when I wanted to refresh myself later in the semester) and now modify old outlines instead of making new. Still, I think reading/going to class is vital, at least for me.

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 am

FWIW, I never miss a class. Probably an average of one a semester since I started.

Maybe someone thinks even that is a waste of time in 2L and 3L. You don't and I don't, but that might be someone's suggestion (ex. "I stopped going to class and instead used that time to take old exams.")

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:FWIW, I never miss a class. Probably an average of one a semester since I started.

Maybe someone thinks even that is a waste of time in 2L and 3L. You don't and I don't, but that might be someone's suggestion (ex. "I stopped going to class and instead used that time to take old exams.")

In my experience, no one misses class because they actually think their time is better spent studying or taking old exams. It's usually because they aren't prepared, would rather nap, or think they can catch up on the reading later.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
DiscoveryDeadline wrote:FWIW, I never miss a class. Probably an average of one a semester since I started.

In my experience, no one misses class because they actually think their time is better spent studying or taking old exams. It's usually because they aren't prepared, would rather nap, or think they can catch up on the reading later.

Are you spying on me? :shock:

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:

QFT.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”