study hours per week

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am

study hours per week

Postby adude » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 am

ITT, estimate how much you studied each week outside of class for last semester and this semester and how successful it has been for you - you can post gpa or just indicate whether you were satisfied with the results. Mainly, I'm wondering if studying for 10+hrs per day outside of class is necessary for top grades (as many posts on TLS seem to indicate). Also, I'm curious if ppl are slacking more or gearing up.

Last semester: about 35hrs/week, satisfied w/ results but I hear things get harder this semester
This semester: about 20hrs/week (applications and interviews are taking up a lot of time)
Last edited by adude on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 am

adude wrote: studying for 10+hrs per day outside of class is necessary for top grades (as many posts on TLS seem to indicate)


I've never seen this number for hours during the course of the semester...maybe during finals, but 10+ hours a day seems excessive and would definitely burn me out.

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: study hours per week

Postby jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 am

adude wrote:I'm wondering if studying for 10+hrs per day outside of class is necessary for top grades

Last semester: about 35hrs/week, 3.88


Well...you studied <<10 hrs/day and got top grades (you mentioned in another of your threads, top 1%)

So you answered your own question --> I guess it is not necessary for top grades.


bit of a self-aggrandizing post?
Last edited by jeremysen on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:04 am

adude wrote:ITT, estimate how much you studied each week outside of class for last semester and this semester and how successful it has been for you - you can post gpa or just indicate whether you were satisfied with the results. Mainly, I'm wondering if studying for 10+hrs per day outside of class is necessary for top grades (as many posts on TLS seem to indicate). Also, I'm curious if ppl are slacking more or gearing up.

Last semester: about 35hrs/week, 3.88
This semester: about 20hrs/week (applications and interviews are taking up a lot of time)

No is the answer to that.

from kids who finished top 10% I've heard 45 minutes a day to 6 hours a day for the first half of the semester.

November IMO is what really separates the boys from the men.

adude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am

Re: study hours per week

Postby adude » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 pm

jeremysen wrote: bit of a self-aggrandizing post?

I was worried ppl would view it this way. I assumed posting gpa was not a big deal since ppl post it on here all the time. But if it is offensive, I'll edit it. And no, I don't know the answer to my own question. Last semester I had a bit of an advantage over some of the class b/c of a summer study program. I recognize that's not fair, but the playing field is level now. So I'm wondering if I'm putting in enough study time this semester.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 pm

last semester= crazy

this semester= about 4 hrs a day [if that] reading..and I try to fit in outlining on the weekends but have been a huge fail at this and barely even finish my reading.

My thoughts: our brief for legal writing is due on the 14th--after that, my main objective for the end of February is to be up to date with all my outlines and to be up to date with pre-written answers for my property exam up to the point I am at in my outline. Will start K's practice tests March 1, will do 2 short answer questions a week from con law and meet with the TAs to discuss, and then start property practice questions starting in mid march.

so basically..point right now is to keep my head above water--which is proving quite difficult. Come March 1, I will start putting in at least 7-8 hours a day.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:42 pm

goosey wrote:last semester= crazy

this semester= about 4 hrs a day [if that] reading..and I try to fit in outlining on the weekends but have been a huge fail at this and barely even finish my reading.

My thoughts: our brief for legal writing is due on the 14th--after that, my main objective for the end of February is to be up to date with all my outlines and to be up to date with pre-written answers for my property exam up to the point I am at in my outline. Will start K's practice tests March 1, will do 2 short answer questions a week from con law and meet with the TAs to discuss, and then start property practice questions starting in mid march.

so basically..point right now is to keep my head above water--which is proving quite difficult. Come March 1, I will start putting in at least 7-8 hours a day.

When do your finals start???

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
goosey wrote:last semester= crazy

this semester= about 4 hrs a day [if that] reading..and I try to fit in outlining on the weekends but have been a huge fail at this and barely even finish my reading.

My thoughts: our brief for legal writing is due on the 14th--after that, my main objective for the end of February is to be up to date with all my outlines and to be up to date with pre-written answers for my property exam up to the point I am at in my outline. Will start K's practice tests March 1, will do 2 short answer questions a week from con law and meet with the TAs to discuss, and then start property practice questions starting in mid march.

so basically..point right now is to keep my head above water--which is proving quite difficult. Come March 1, I will start putting in at least 7-8 hours a day.

When do your finals start???


reading period starts april 29..first exam is may 3rd

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 pm

I hope im not the only one, but I've been really frontloading this semester. Trying to get pretty far ahead because having an extra class this semester will mean less time studying for each final unless you get ahead. Maybe im an outside of the class gunner, but I don't care. 1l is make it or break it.

adude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am

Re: study hours per week

Postby adude » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm

uzpakalis wrote:I hope im not the only one, but I've been really frontloading this semester. Trying to get pretty far ahead because having an extra class this semester will mean less time studying for each final unless you get ahead. Maybe im an outside of the class gunner, but I don't care. 1l is make it or break it.


It would be nice to frontload. It's hard to feel you've mastered the material before class though, if you've already moved on to another topic. Could I ask how you are frontloading? Are you just reading through the casebook early, or are you outlining or using supplements at the same time?

Also, some ppl prefer to save certain types of preparation until a month before the exam i.e. saving hypos or the E&E's or outlining. I'm wondering if I should do the same.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

20 if you add in LRW.

Finals it's more like 70.

For most people law school is easier than a normal job during the school year.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

goosey wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
goosey wrote:last semester= crazy

this semester= about 4 hrs a day [if that] reading..and I try to fit in outlining on the weekends but have been a huge fail at this and barely even finish my reading.

My thoughts: our brief for legal writing is due on the 14th--after that, my main objective for the end of February is to be up to date with all my outlines and to be up to date with pre-written answers for my property exam up to the point I am at in my outline. Will start K's practice tests March 1, will do 2 short answer questions a week from con law and meet with the TAs to discuss, and then start property practice questions starting in mid march.

so basically..point right now is to keep my head above water--which is proving quite difficult. Come March 1, I will start putting in at least 7-8 hours a day.

When do your finals start???


reading period starts april 29..first exam is may 3rd

I can't possibly imagine a practice test that will be helpful for you 2 full months before your first final.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby uzpakalis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

adude wrote: Could I ask how you are frontloading? Are you just reading through the casebook early, or are you outlining or using supplements at the same time?


First, I get the case briefs online and read them. Second, I read a supplement (E&E, understanding, etc.) that corresponds with that section of the syllabus. Third, I outline as I go (using a prior student's outline as a guide). I like to only focus on one subject per day. This 'usually' allows me to see the big picture of a particular section of the syllabus.

You can get pretty far ahead if you use this approach. I should mention that I do attend every class, and I add anything important that I get out of class to my outline. Class sort of functions as review for the material you've already covered on your own, and it helps fill in any gaps that you may not have caught the first time around.

Hope this makes sense/helps.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby td6624 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 am

Probably 10-20 hours/week outside of class. With a good 2-4 hour chunk added to that if there's an LRW thing due. It's hard to measure accurately because I constantly distract myself with things and break up the reading. But at this point I literally read and highlight and that's it. It should definitely be more. I ended up with a 3.44 last semester. Which I'm not satisfied with, but at the same time, with the amount of work I did, it seems about right.

If you ask me why I can't motivate myself any more than I have, I won't be able to answer.

And the worst thing about it is that I really don't dislike the material or anything. I'm just not sure what to do with any more time I would use. I could take advice from here I guess but meh.

Actually the 10-20 might even be an overestimate. I jam all the reading into the beginning of the week.

I don't know.

Bottom line: NOT ENOUGH HOURS, PROBABLY.

StudentAthlete
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Re: study hours per week

Postby StudentAthlete » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Unless its finals week, like the poster before said, 10 hours a day is ridiculous and (I think) would ruin your autonomy.

I study about 4 hours outside of class each day during the year and thus far, its worked out quite well

User avatar
edcrane
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby edcrane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

We have 15 weeks of class and then 1-2 weeks of finals.

In addition to classes, during the first 10 weeks, I spend about 1.5-2 hrs per weekday studying. During the last 5 weeks of class, that shoots up to something like 6-7 hrs per weekday and 10-20 hrs per weekend. During finals, that goes up even higher--topping out at 12-14 hrs per day.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: study hours per week

Postby 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 pm

1L, I probably put in 5-10 hours a week outside of class, but significantly more in the 3-4 weeks before finals.

This year, I'm about the same, but closer to 15 hours if you count moot court prep.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: study hours per week

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

adude wrote:ITT, estimate how much you studied each week outside of class for last semester and this semester and how successful it has been for you - you can post gpa or just indicate whether you were satisfied with the results. Mainly, I'm wondering if studying for 10+hrs per day outside of class is necessary for top grades (as many posts on TLS seem to indicate). Also, I'm curious if ppl are slacking more or gearing up.

Last semester: about 35hrs/week, satisfied w/ results but I hear things get harder this semester
This semester: about 20hrs/week (applications and interviews are taking up a lot of time)


1L
Last semester: 15 hrs/week, top 10%.
This semester: 15 hrs/week, dunno yet.

With the exception of the week before finals. Then it was about 8 hrs/day.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LarryFlint and 2 guests