Corp Veil? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

Corp Veil?

Post by jdubb990 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Is there a landmark case in the U.S. that established what the corp. veil is? Looking for a good rule. Note: I understand it, I just need authority.

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Corp Veil?

Post by MrKappus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I believe the short answer's "no" (no landmark case). Lexis shows only 17 SCOTUS cases have the phrase "corporate veil" in them, probably because most cases in which this is an issue sound in K or tort. Piercing standards also may vary slightly by state, so you'll probably have difficulty finding some monolithic authority that's frequently cited. But a good discussion of it all's at 524 U.S. 51.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Is there a landmark case in the U.S. that established what the corp. veil is? Looking for a good rule. Note: I understand it, I just need authority.
Earliest mention = United States v. Devereux (1809) in reference to corporate citizenship for diversity jurisdiction.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 am

I believe the big case I read in corporations was Checker Cabs. Not sure that name is right, but it involved a guy who made a separate corp. for every taxi in a taxi company and tried to use the separate corps to duck tort liability. Veil was pierced.

Edit: The name of the case is Black & White v. Love.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 am

Ask one of your idiot classmates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:Ask one of your idiot classmates.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

No. That shit goes back to before the common law began to properly develop, so it's like asking for the landmark case where "torts" were established.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 am

Renzo wrote:No. That shit goes back to before the common law began to properly develop, so it's like asking for the landmark case where "torts" were established.
It is completely 100% not like asking that. Torts is a broad area of the law. Veil-piercing is a specific (and relatively modern) doctrine. Until the 19th century (read: hilariously long after "the common law began to properly develop"), corporations were chartered by the state. No piercing doctrine would have been necessary because states did not set up "alias" or "dummy" entities (Cardozo in Berkey).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:25 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Renzo wrote:No. That shit goes back to before the common law began to properly develop, so it's like asking for the landmark case where "torts" were established.
It is completely 100% not like asking that. Torts is a broad area of the law. Veil-piercing is a specific (and relatively modern) doctrine. Until the 19th century (read: hilariously long after "the common law began to properly develop"), corporations were chartered by the state. No piercing doctrine would have been necessary because states did not set up "alias" or "dummy" entities (Cardozo in Berkey).
Naw, you got it all wrong. There were corporations in the Bible, after all, and that was at least 500 years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Renzo wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Naw, you got it all wrong. There were corporations in the Bible, after all, and that was at least 500 years ago.
Hahaha.

Also, thanks MrKappus.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Renzo wrote:Naw, you got it all wrong. There were corporations in the Bible, after all, and that was at least 500 years ago.
Try harder. Be more funny.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”