Help me drop out of law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath

Re: Help me drop out of law school

Postby flcath » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 am

Veyron wrote:
flcath wrote:
Veyron wrote:If you finish, even with 75% tuition, you will still have 100k of debt after COA expenses. PBPM + Med school will give you another 350k at minimum. Just saying, JD --> MD is probably not the credited idea.

Average med school debt was $139K as of 2007 (according to AMA). And I'll have less debt after LS than many folks have from college. Not that this justifies staying, of course.

I have decision paralysis. At least I have the rest of this semester (and summer, I guess) to think about it.

1/4 million dollars then, not nearly as bad.

WELL WHEN YOU FUCKING PHRASE IT THAT WAY...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 am

flcath wrote:
Veyron wrote:
flcath wrote:
Veyron wrote:If you finish, even with 75% tuition, you will still have 100k of debt after COA expenses. PBPM + Med school will give you another 350k at minimum. Just saying, JD --> MD is probably not the credited idea.

Average med school debt was $139K as of 2007 (according to AMA). And I'll have less debt after LS than many folks have from college. Not that this justifies staying, of course.

I have decision paralysis. At least I have the rest of this semester (and summer, I guess) to think about it.

Just SAYING. Anyway, 1/4 mil might not have been that bad for doctors in the past, but with obamacare coming, who can say?

perspective

Postby perspective » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 am

For what it is worth:

I have been accepted into numerous top 10 law schools; however, I might forfeit these options in lieu taking one to two years off preparing for medical school. I have not taken the MCATs, but my science GPA is 3.9.

I will be able to find a job after law school but I believe that, with proper planning, a health professional can enjoy a much better livelihood. There are definitely negatives involved with a health-oriented career choice, but in my situation and with my values a doctor is ideal. I enjoy my free time: many doctors who open their own practices work around 40/week. The security will eliminate a lot of worry from my life. Women dig doctors. And yes, I do legitimately enjoy learning about health and using my knowledge to perform miracles.

Insurance sucks and the path is long, but if the OP believes his life will be best lived by focusing on medicine then forgoing law school is the obvious choice. Make the hard decision because no one else can make it from you.

PS- Doctors still make bank and Obamacare increased the compensation for many primary care physicians. Also, there are many specialties that are not dependent on insurance to function.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:44 am

perspective wrote:For what it is worth:

I have been accepted into numerous top 10 law schools; however, I might forfeit these options in lieu taking one to two years off preparing for medical school. I have not taken the MCATs, but my science GPA is 3.9.

I will be able to find a job after law school but I believe that, with proper planning, a health professional can enjoy a much better livelihood. There are definitely negatives involved with a health-oriented career choice, but in my situation and with my values a doctor is ideal. I enjoy my free time: many doctors who open their own practices work around 40/week. The security will eliminate a lot of worry from my life. Women dig doctors. And yes, I do legitimately enjoy learning about health and using my knowledge to perform miracles.

Insurance sucks and the path is long, but if the OP believes his life will be best lived by focusing on medicine then forgoing law school is the obvious choice. Make the hard decision because no one else can make it from you.

PS- Doctors still make bank and Obamacare increased the compensation for many primary care physicians. Also, there are many specialties that are not dependent on insurance to function.

I'm assuming OP doesn't want to do primary care (as most students don't and in which case more educational expenses are in order).

Yes, medicine pays better on average. What I was saying is that OP should drop out NOW unless he actually wants to be a lawyer and not a doctor. I can't possibly understand how anyone could be confused by this choice, its not like law and medicine are anything alike - whats next, people being confused about whether they want to be a model or a competitive eater?

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 am

In the words of a college prof...."being a dr can make you rich, but being a lawyer can make you wealthy"

Dude, just go to med school if that is what you want to do with your life. Get an MS, study for the MCAT, rock it, and have a good life.

Aside....being an associate is like being a resident, only associates are better compensated

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 am

from the op's posts its pretty clear( at least to me) that he/she wants to give medical school a shot, but is worried about it. Give it a shot, do what you have to do to become a doctor, and if it doesnt work out, then decide what you want to do. Yes you are talking about a lot of money here, but if you want to be a doctor, you have to go to medical school.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 am

Veyron wrote:
flcath wrote:
Veyron wrote:
flcath wrote:Average med school debt was $139K as of 2007 (according to AMA). And I'll have less debt after LS than many folks have from college. Not that this justifies staying, of course.

Just SAYING. Anyway, 1/4 mil might not have been that bad for doctors in the past, but with obamacare coming, who can say?

Woo! CHANGE!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm

flcath wrote:
jdhakert wrote:Both of my parents are physicians (one works at the best med school in texas, and the other is on the board of trustees) and I can guaran-damn-tee that you get into a med school with >3.0 in biochem and a 34 on the MCAT. And the best part is for med school: it does not matter at all where you go... at all. You could even go to a caribbean school and do well and get residency spots at the super competitive programs (oncology, gastroenterology, etc.). Go apply to the medical schools instate and if you want to be a doctor, I wouldn't waste your time with a JD. I think if anything medical schools would think that you were flaky and unsure about your career goals, further hindering you.

Because the AMA>>>ABA, there is a demand for physicians; where you go to med school is nearly negligible

Everything you said about medicine: TRUE

What you said about AMA>ABA, and physician demand: TRUE, but not worded nearly strong enough. With the baby-boomers getting older, demand is about to (continue to) skyrocket.

What you said about me being able to get in w/ a 3.0 science GPA and a 34: FALSE

...US allopathic Medical schools are accredited by the AAMC, not the AMA. Sorry to single you guys out; I just see that error on here all the time.

Anyway, congrats on the great MCAT score. I definitely think you should drop out since you clearly don't want to be a lawyer. Make sure you really want to do medicine, though, before committing to it. It's a lot of time and money, way more than law.
I think going for your master's is a good idea; it will help give you legitimacy in the eyes of adcomms. And while it doesn't really matter where you go, a top 40 is ideal. Good luck!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm

1) If you want to be a doctor, you're on the wrong forum.

2) If you want to use your 'knowledge to perform miracles' then you're going to be one of those intolerable holier than thou interns who harm patients and piss off everyone around them.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

2) If you want to use your 'knowledge to perform miracles' then you're going to be one of those intolerable holier than thou interns who harm patients and piss off everyone around them.

How can you tell somebody in law school that he's on the wrong forum? That just defies all logic there. :lol:

I look forward to receiving a #2 intern. I need a malpractice suit.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

How can you tell somebody in law school that he's on the wrong forum? That just defies all logic there. :lol:

I was replying to 'perspective' who said "I have been accepted into numerous top 10 law schools" suggesting that he was not yet a law student; and the fact that he continued on to blab about how he wasn't going to go to any of them.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I was replying to 'perspective' who said "I have been accepted into numerous top 10 law schools" suggesting that he was not yet a law student; and the fact that he continued on to blab about how he wasn't going to go to any of them.

Not trying to be a smartass, but you do pose an interesting argument:

When are you considered "in"? How does it feel? (Alright, that last one was me trying to a stab. Couldn't be helped.)

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Amen. I love when the new residents start every july and the M&M rates skyrocket as the ER grinds to a total halt. The new ones look at me like something that crawled out from under their shoe... the look of disgust for my inability to get into med school and remain a paramedic is hilarious. By December they are begging me to give them report in the trauma room.

But that is neither here nor there... To the OP:

Here is my advice, and what I would do in your situation... my apologies if any of this has been covered before.

If you want to be a doc then finish your law school and make sure you make some of your electives MS Bio courses for your 2L and 3L years. Most places will count about 9 credit hours towards your law degree. If anyone asks, tell them you are thinking about patent law. Being a lawyer will impress committees during your interview, I bet, and it certainly wouldn't hurt. You also need to take and own the law thing... admit in your PS and your interview that you made a mistake going to law school, that you really want to be a physician, but that you wanted to complete what you started, because it is important to you to be committed and finished what you started.

Then apply to DO schools. First off, if you ever retook any classes, they will take the higher grade. Even if that doesn't help you, they cater to non-trads. And at the end of 7 to 12 years you will be a practicing physician. Basically no one anymore cares DO/MD anymore... your speciality is all they care about. Even the local MD training hospital has like 9 DOs on staff... training MDs.

With their (DO schools) average MCAT scores being in the 26-29 range, you will impress them with your score. Your 3.0 ain't great, but they have let in people with 2.8s last year (check the AACOM website). And your grad level science work will show them you have improved.

If that still doesn't work, then, and only then, would I bother with a one year special masters program. Finally, check out Student Doctor Network and ask them what they think. You will find they are, surprisingly, even bigger dicks than the people here on TLS, but the DO and Non-Trad forums are pretty nice.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 pm

I wonder if consumers prefer an attorney that hates law and is delivering the closing argument in their death penalty trial only b/c he wasn't able to find a post-bacc program to boost his lackluster science GPA or a doctor that is cutting open your heart because he didn't make it into the top 10% at a law school

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I wonder if consumers prefer an attorney that hates law and is delivering the closing argument in their death penalty trial only b/c he wasn't able to find a post-bacc program to boost his lackluster science GPA or a doctor that is cutting open your heart because he didn't make it into the top 10% at a law school

this is beautiful

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:41 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I wonder if consumers prefer an attorney that hates law and is delivering the closing argument in their death penalty trial only b/c he wasn't able to find a post-bacc program to boost his lackluster science GPA or a doctor that is cutting open your heart because he didn't make it into the top 10% at a law school

Lol, nice.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

I'd rather have the second than the first. I have talked to docs, and the majority admit that what they do, whether it be heart surgery or looking at tonsils, becomes rather routine after a while. Only the really kewl stuff even impresses them anymore. As long as their hands move the right way, I could care less why the surgeon is there, or if the surgeon is bored out of his mind. The defense lawyer still has to be not only smart but also passionate to do the job right.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”