Help me drop out of law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath

Help me drop out of law school

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Last edited by flcath on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help me drop out of law school

Postby 174 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm

>T22

I'd ask auto admit, they talk about this a lot. You'll probably get better advice.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm

174 wrote:>T22

I'd ask auto admit, they talk about this a lot. You'll probably get better advice.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm a little leery about opening an account over there tho... if the ND conduct code doesn't allow sex, they certainly frown upon Poasting.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

OP, you need to take some time to do a little bit of 'soul searching.' If you want to be a doctor, then you shouldn't be in law school. You need to figure out what you want to do, but you also need to realize that life is not a binary decision - there are professions outside of law and medicine.

Couple side notes:

(1) MCAT of 34 won't get you into Harvard, but it will get you into plenty of allopathic medicine programs - even with a 3.2.

(2) Carefully research your postbac options - a lot of postbacs are designed for people without hard science backgrounds rather than just low GPA's.

(3) Consider applying to osteopathic medicine programs. DO's are still licensed physicians, and while you might not get as prestigious of residencies, I know plenty of DO's who are anesthesiologists, radiologists, and (though a non ROAD specialty) a couple of DO cardiac surgeons.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:21 pm

vamedic03 wrote:OP, you need to take some time to do a little bit of 'soul searching.' If you want to be a doctor, then you shouldn't be in law school. You need to figure out what you want to do, but you also need to realize that life is not a binary decision - there are professions outside of law and medicine.

Couple side notes:

(1) MCAT of 34 won't get you into Harvard, but it will get you into plenty of allopathic medicine programs - even with a 3.2.

(2) Carefully research your postbac options - a lot of postbacs are designed for people without hard science backgrounds rather than just low GPA's.

(3) Consider applying to osteopathic medicine programs. DO's are still licensed physicians, and while you might not get as prestigious of residencies, I know plenty of DO's who are anesthesiologists, radiologists, and (though a non ROAD specialty) a couple of DO cardiac surgeons.

Right. JH for instance, doesn't usually accept people who completed over half of the premed reqs.

But yes,

Definitely look into DO's.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:21 pm

If you want to be a doctor, why are you in law school at all? And why didn't you try to find a way to get into med school with your grades earlier than this? I don't know if I trust this post-Bacc thing because I know a High MCAT/low GPA med friend who couldn't get into US MD programs (however, she is from another country with well-respected med programs, i.e. NOT the islands, and was able to do that). If she could have just done a post-BACC to get her GPA up and acceptances to US schools, I'm sure she would have. (She was a BME major at Hopkins, so it's not like she didn't have the pedigree minus the GPA).

Med/Law are totally different professions. I don't get the overlap or how going to one school would "help" one get into another in any way.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm

keg411 wrote:If you want to be a doctor, why are you in law school at all? And why didn't you try to find a way to get into med school with your grades earlier than this? I don't know if I trust this post-Bacc thing because I know a High MCAT/low GPA med friend who couldn't get into US MD programs (however, she is from another country with well-respected med programs, i.e. NOT the islands, and was able to do that). If she could have just done a post-BACC to get her GPA up and acceptances to US schools, I'm sure she would have. (She was a BME major at Hopkins, so it's not like she didn't have the pedigree minus the GPA).

Med/Law are totally different professions. I don't get the overlap or how going to one school would "help" one get into another in any way.

Some people just want to switch professions. There are several lawyers over studentdoctor.com who are either in MS or have their MD's already.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Why the fuck would you finish law school? I mean do you have any reason whatsoever to spend your time and other people's money? Best to cut your (minor) losses as soon as possible.
Last edited by Borhas on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Last edited by flcath on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Both of my parents are physicians (one works at the best med school in texas, and the other is on the board of trustees) and I can guaran-damn-tee that you get into a med school with >3.0 in biochem and a 34 on the MCAT. And the best part is for med school: it does not matter at all where you go... at all. You could even go to a caribbean school and do well and get residency spots at the super competitive programs (oncology, gastroenterology, etc.). Go apply to the medical schools instate and if you want to be a doctor, I wouldn't waste your time with a JD. I think if anything medical schools would think that you were flaky and unsure about your career goals, further hindering you.

Because the AMA>>>ABA, there is a demand for physicians; where you go to med school is nearly negligible

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Borhas wrote:Why the fuck would you finish law school? I mean do you have any reason whatsoever to spend your time and other people's money? Best to cut your (minor) losses as soon as possible.

I am starting to feel like this is the logical answer. But don't act like you'd find this an easy decision either.

Honestly, I wish I'd worked my ass off last semester and still finished bottom 10%. Then I wouldn't have a 2d thought about leaving.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Some people just want to switch professions. There are several lawyers over studentdoctor.com who are either in MS or have their MD's already.

It's different to switch professions after you've been working for years... it's another to do it part way through 1L.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Where did you go for undergrad? In florida?

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Last edited by flcath on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 pm

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 pm

flcath wrote:and realized that, omg, I can get into prestigious schools w/o doing anything.

lol @ nd being prestigious. jk nd is cool.

I would drop out of law school if you dont want to be a lawyer..

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 pm

The DO is gaining popularity and respect, and you'd probably have better chances at getting into a DO program than an MD, but I can see how you'd rather have an MD. I think it comes down to how well you do in post-bacc, as well as what work experience you have. Have you volunteered at a hospital or community clinic? You should if you haven't already. Studentdoctor.net might be a better resource than TLS. There are people with less than a 3.2 get into MD programs after doing certain things, so there's no reason to think that you can't get in anywhere with your GPA.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 pm

flcath wrote:
jdhakert wrote:Both of my parents are physicians (one works at the best med school in texas, and the other is on the board of trustees) and I can guaran-damn-tee that you get into a med school with >3.0 in biochem and a 34 on the MCAT. And the best part is for med school: it does not matter at all where you go... at all. You could even go to a caribbean school and do well and get residency spots at the super competitive programs (oncology, gastroenterology, etc.). Go apply to the medical schools instate and if you want to be a doctor, I wouldn't waste your time with a JD. I think if anything medical schools would think that you were flaky and unsure about your career goals, further hindering you.

Because the AMA>>>ABA, there is a demand for physicians; where you go to med school is nearly negligible

Everything you said about medicine: TRUE

What you said about AMA>ABA, and physician demand: TRUE, but not worded nearly strong enough. With the baby-boomers getting older, demand is about to (continue to) skyrocket.

What you said about me being able to get in w/ a 3.0 science GPA and a 34: FALSE

There is a shortage of 20,000 doctors in the US as of 2010.. I didn't say you'd get into hopkins, I said you would get in. If you applied to the whole gammut (sp?) of schools, you'd get into >10 easy. I knew a guy who JUST got accepted with a 3.4/27. Why don't you just apply and see, as you work on your post-bacc. But definately stop taking class at ND law school. Med schools want people who want to be doctors with all their heart/mind/soul. Not people who change their mind after they can't get in. They want people who try, try, then try again. The younger you are, by far the better as well.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:40 pm

flcath wrote:
jdhakert wrote:Where did you go for undergrad? In florida?

Yes. But not to UF.

I was wondering bc I went to FSU, and I saw something on your profile about hot girls with is true mah dude

moneko

Postby moneko » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:40 pm

lol at this entire thread

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:45 pm

keg411 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Some people just want to switch professions. There are several lawyers over studentdoctor.com who are either in MS or have their MD's already.

It's different to switch professions after you've been working for years... it's another to do it part way through 1L.

I'd argue that for some people it takes 10 years into the profession and for other's.. well, much sooner than that. If law isn't going to make him happy - why continue?

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Looking at the title of the thread it seems like you've already made your decision, you just need some support in following through with it. If you want to be a doctor, seriously, leave law school and start doing everything you can to become a doctor. Maybe you feel like quitting is a mistake - but, staying with something that isn't the career you really want is simply setting yourself up for some kind of life filled with regret or depression.

I say drop out now and save your money and time and start doing things that will help you get into medical school. You may argue that law school will help you get into medical school, but even if that is true, there have to be better routes to your goal than law school.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:59 pm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:10 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I'd argue that for some people it takes 10 years into the profession and for other's.. well, much sooner than that. If law isn't going to make him happy - why continue?

I don't think OP should continue at all. That's why I didn't get his point of staying for the "prestige" of a ND law degree. If he wants to do med, he should drop out and do med. Staying 3 years of LS would be stupid.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”