Interview @ firm... cancel judge interview? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
phonepro

Bronze

Interview @ firm... cancel judge interview?

Post by phonepro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

I have an interview early next week with a judge (ny appellate). I just scored an interview at a firm in nyc. I woudlnt say its "big law".. but its a large mid sized firm (200+ attorneys) w/ very good pay.

I obviously prefer the firm job (money and practical experience). But I don't know my chances (as a 1L i didnt think id even get an interview) with the firm.

WHAT TO DO!?!?!?

DCDuck

Bronze

Re: Interview @ firm... cancel judge interview?

Post by DCDuck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Since you don't have an offer for either job, I would do both interviews.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm

everyone tells me you cant say no to a judge though. which i think is ... well, dumb.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Almost all 1L summer internship offers are exploding, meaning they're very limited in the amount of time you have to decide. However, judges have given my friends 24 hours to give them an answer. You won't have to say yes or no immediately (and they shouldn't try to make you since no schools fund judicial internships).

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Do both interviews. Firm interview does not equal job. It varies how judges do 1L hiring, some give you a few days, some 24 hours, and some literally give you months. I know people w/ all experiences. If you explain to the judge your situation when interviewing he/she will probably understand and give you some time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”