anyone else have zero interest in being on a journal?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: anyone else have zero interest in being on a journal?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:To be honest, I'm really looking forward to being on a journal. Even if it's not law review (which it most certainty won't be), I think the idea of writing a comment by yourself is sweet, even if it's just for sake of personal satisfaction.

You are such a goddamn gunner.

The legal market isn't growing any vegetables bro. You gotta shoot a man every once in a while if you want dinner.

Okay Tom Dudley. :lol:

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

As to the "other," non-law review journals: I talked recently to an attorney in a particular field who reads a particular school's journal for that field and definitely endorsed the notion that work on such a journal has employment value.

hefferlump

Postby hefferlump » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 am

I agree with this. I think that being on the secondary journal for my specialized field helps give me credibility - it's one of the first things on my resume. I took advantage of the opportunity to write and publish short current development articles, which also go on there and make great writing samples. That's worth a few hours a month of source collecting and cite checking.

That being said, there's a slightly weird vibe: during orientation, loads of people kept asking, "so are you here because you just wanted to be on a journal or are you actually interested in our subject area?" I don't see how being on it helps that much if you have no interest in the area.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 am

No secondary journal at my school is associated with anything I remotely have any interest. Its LR or nothin'. *Battle cry*

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:No secondary journal at my school is associated with anything I remotely have any interest. Its LR or nothin'. *Battle cry*

Ditto. If I don't make LR, I'm most likely just going to do moot court.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
lawmantentwo wrote:There's nothing glamorous about being on a journal...especially if theres no one hiring.

Worst combination of things you can do - journal participation and not getting a job
Worse combination - 2 journals, no job

If the former is the "worst", then how can the latter be "worse"?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:46 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
lawmantentwo wrote:There's nothing glamorous about being on a journal...especially if theres no one hiring.

Worst combination of things you can do - journal participation and not getting a job

Because doing something like that is beyond the boundaries of logic.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Softball season......approaching! :shock: 8)

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:If the former is the "worst", then how can the latter be "worse"?

Softball season......approaching! :shock: 8)

hah

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:No secondary journal at my school is associated with anything I remotely have any interest. Its LR or nothin'. *Battle cry*

I'm not stoked about LR, but I'm going to do it if I grade on. Zero interest in moot court though. What about mock trial? I never really see it brought up here; any reason why? Is moot court really that much better to do than mock trial?

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Omerta wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'm not stoked about LR, but I'm going to do it if I grade on. Zero interest in moot court though. What about mock trial? I never really see it brought up here; any reason why? Is moot court really that much better to do than mock trial?

I know I'm going to out myself as a dumbass 0L, but: what's the difference between moot court and mock trial? I realize I can Google this, but I tried thinking it through, but they essentially sound like the same thing (in terms of name at least).

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:57 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
Omerta wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I know I'm going to out myself as a dumbass 0L, but: what's the difference between moot court and mock trial? I realize I can Google this, but I tried thinking it through, but they essentially sound like the same thing (in terms of name at least).

"I know I'm a dumbass for posting this, but I'm going to do it anyway because I'm a unique special snowflake of a 0L who is unwilling to expend the 1/2 a calorie and whopping two google searches necessary to answer this question myself."

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:16 am

<----- this guy

maybe Trial Ad.... MAYBE

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Being on a secondary journal isn't that much work, honestly. It's just sort of a pain in the ass a couple times a semester.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:15 pm

I am on two secondary journals for my first year. Feels good man.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”