Kill me. 3.0 GPA at NYU Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SubwayBLT

New

Kill me. 3.0 GPA at NYU

Post by SubwayBLT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:22 am

B, B-, B+. How screwed am I?

Biglaw for 1L summer is obviously out. What about public interest or government (and if I get either, which of the two is more prestigious?)? Am I going to get a job ever or should I kill myself now?

I have no clue if I can turn this around in second semester. I worked my ass off all fall. What will happen if my grades stay the same?
Last edited by SubwayBLT on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophie316

Bronze

Re: Kill me. 3.0 GPA at NYU

Post by sophie316 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 am

SubwayBLT wrote:B, B, B-, B+. How screwed am I?

Biglaw for 1L summer is obviously out. What about public interest or government (and if I get either, which of the two is more prestigious?)? Am I going to get a job ever, or should I kill myself now?

I have no clue if I can turn this around in second semester. I worked my ass off all fall. What will happen if my grades stay the same?
How do you have four letter grades after one semester. There are only 3 graded classes.

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am

Lol, you are dumb. You can't secure anything good in either of those areas.

Have you got any idea how competitive good public interest jobs are? Unless of course you wanna be an UNPAID intern for somebody at the criminal court. And government anything is out for you bud, they're pretty competitive as well.

You should look into helping a professor over the summer or do something that isn't related to the law.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 am

sophie316 wrote:
SubwayBLT wrote:B, B, B-, B+. How screwed am I?

Biglaw for 1L summer is obviously out. What about public interest or government (and if I get either, which of the two is more prestigious?)? Am I going to get a job ever, or should I kill myself now?

How do you have four letter grades after one semester. There are only 3 graded classes.
boom goes the dynamite?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

Lokomani wrote:Lol, you are dumb. You can't secure anything good in either of those areas.

Have you got any idea how competitive good public interest jobs are? Unless of course you wanna be an UNPAID intern for somebody at the criminal court. And government anything is out for you bud, they're pretty competitive as well.

You should look into helping a professor over the summer or do something that isn't related to the law.
? Most 1L summer PI doesn't even consider grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:39 am

sophie316 wrote: How do you have four letter grades after one semester. There are only 3 graded classes.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 am

Lokomani wrote:Lol, you are dumb. You can't secure anything good in either of those areas.
Um, was he/she asserting that he/she COULD get something in either of those areas? Pretty sure it was a question, no need to be a douche.

OP, if you are not a flame (which I guess I have to suspect since apparently it is strange for an NYU 1L to have 4 graded courses...), I'm not sure what your job prospects are but if you have a volunteering background that may help for PI, as I understand that is something they really look for. Apply and see what happens. As for this semester, talk with your professors about your exams and find out what went wrong.

SubwayBLT

New

Post by SubwayBLT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 am

Oops that was a typo. B, B-, B+

I applied to a lot of places but no interviews yet. Now that grades are out, I think my chances are even less than before.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29 am

I have no idea whether this is actually true, but one of my professors was telling me that most 1L employers don't care about grades. Who knows. Good look this semester bro, or sis.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 am

You'll get something out of the PILC Fair for next summer.

As far as after that, I remember reading on here that median is about 3.2. If you're in the ballpark of median (don't get any more B minuses) you'll have a shot at EIW and if that fails, you should be able to nab some less-prestigious PI or maybe even local government work. But unless your grades change drastically 2nd semester prestige shouldn't be a priority.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”