TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people.


This, and also my own look at what has been associated with the higher grades that I've gotten have told me that my higher grades are related to:
[*] personal interest in the subject matter,
[*] using supplements extensively,
[*] having a take home exam, and most of all
[*] being able to take notes on my computer

I've known plenty of folks who were the complete opposite, and plenty who were similar to me. It's really personal preference.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 am

vanwinkle wrote:Also, it's ironic that you're posting advice to 0Ls in the forum for law students. 0Ls don't belong in here.

How could you not know/understand that 0Ls read this particular forum all the time? Why wouldn't they? It's by far the most beneficial for them (us).

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

something that isn't mentioned enough, i think, is the prior educational background of current law students.

applied/pure science and math (except biology) people are used to struggling through problems and refining skills through practice.. that's really the only way to learn those things. the brute force approach.

people in humanities/social sciences developed different methods of learning and probably are more likely to seek additional materials because teachers seem to preach "the more sources the better" in writing research papers.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 pm

rejectmaster wrote:something that isn't mentioned enough, i think, is the prior educational background of current law students.

applied/pure science and math (except biology) people are used to struggling through problems and refining skills through practice.. that's really the only way to learn those things. the brute force approach.


rejectmaster wrote:people in humanities/social sciences developed different methods of learning and probably are more likely to seek additional materials because teachers seem to preach "the more sources the better" in writing research papers.


I kind of think you have to use both brute force and see other sources to get a full picture of what's going on, but - at the underlined - lolwut?

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:43 pm

i dunno in UG our professors would always like to see research papers with tons of citations

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:49 pm

rejectmaster wrote:i dunno in UG our professors would always like to see research papers with tons of citations


Interesting. I feel like that would lead me to citing ridiculous sources to see where their limit was.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:12 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i dunno in UG our professors would always like to see research papers with tons of citations


:lol: :lol:

Interesting. I feel like that would lead me to citing ridiculous sources to see where their limit was.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:14 pm

A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i dunno in UG our professors would always like to see research papers with tons of citations


:lol: :lol:

Interesting. I feel like that would lead me to citing ridiculous sources to see where their limit was.


I actually cited a pretty odd source in my "note" about the Snyder v. Phelps case. Remember when Phelps protested at Comic Con and the nerds counter protested? Yup, I found an article about that. With pictures.

Edit:
Image

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby seespotrun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Wow. One grade on one side and two grades on the other. That's an awesome statistical sample you have there.


+1

Given that one short paragraph could potentially be the difference between a B+ and an A, it's nothing less than silly to think that you've debunked anything. OP, if you wanted to pat yourself on the back in public, TLS would have enjoyed it more if you just titled this thread, "SUCK IT 90% OF CLS, FOR I AM YOUR GOD," or "I KNEW YOU'D REGRET DINGING ME, HARVARD!"

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 pm

seespotrun wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Wow. One grade on one side and two grades on the other. That's an awesome statistical sample you have there.


+1

Given that one short paragraph could potentially be the difference between a B+ and an A, it's nothing less than silly to think that you've debunked anything. OP, if you wanted to pat yourself on the back in public, TLS would have enjoyed it more if you just titled this thread, "SUCK IT 90% OF CLS, FOR I AM YOUR GOD," or "I KNEW YOU'D REGRET DINGING ME, HARVARD!"


Mods, plz change thread title ookay thx.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 pm

seespotrun wrote:OP, if you wanted to pat yourself on the back in public, TLS would have enjoyed it more if you just titled this thread, "SUCK IT 90% OF CLS, FOR I AM YOUR GOD," or "I KNEW YOU'D REGRET DINGING ME, HARVARD!"

Lol

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i dunno in UG our professors would always like to see research papers with tons of citations


:lol: :lol:

Interesting. I feel like that would lead me to citing ridiculous sources to see where their limit was.


I actually cited a pretty odd source in my "note" about the Snyder v. Phelps case. Remember when Phelps protested at Comic Con and the nerds counter protested? Yup, I found an article about that. With pictures.

Edit:
Image


Awesome.

User avatar
Upton Sinclair
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:55 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


Go fuck yourself. Seriously.

xyzbca
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby xyzbca » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


Can somebody from CLS or another elitist scool understand battery 4 me? I $pent all of ZeroL summerz & FiRst semester learning it, but I just can't educate meself on it. I even spent like two hundrad dollar$ on extra learning bokss at the store where they sell me coloring textbokks. Me favorites are da ones with the #'s that tell you what colorz to uze. Me still confused.

TYIA,
Lowly T1 guy

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm

xyzbca wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


Can somebody from CLS or another elitist scool understand battery 4 me? I $pent all of ZeroL summerz & FiRst semester learning it, but I just can't educate meself on it. I even spent like two hundrad dollar$ on extra learning bokss at the store where they sell me coloring textbokks. Me favorites are da ones with the #'s that tell you what colorz to uze. Me still confused.

TYIA,
Lowly T1 guy


155

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


I agree with your earlier post advocating against the indiscriminate use of supplements. But, this post suggests that you're being a jerk:

(1) You're making blanket statements based on 1 semester's worth of grades that are very good, but not incredible,

(2) You're using your thread as an opportunity to put down other schools. Yeah, we all know that Columbia's a great law school, but that doesn't mean that other schools are bad.

(3) I challenge your presumption that all students at top schools know the law by the end of the semester. I think a large portion might know the basics, but a good number do not understand the gray areas. Also, the line between black letter law and policy is a lot murkier than you suggest.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShakeDemHatersOff
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


I agree with your earlier post advocating against the indiscriminate use of supplements. But, this post suggests that you're being a jerk:

(1) You're making blanket statements based on 1 semester's worth of grades that are very good, but not incredible,

(2) You're using your thread as an opportunity to put down other schools. Yeah, we all know that Columbia's a great law school, but that doesn't mean that other schools are bad.

(3) I challenge your presumption that all students at top schools know the law by the end of the semester. I think a large portion might know the basics, but a good number do not understand the gray areas. Also, the line between black letter law and policy is a lot murkier than you suggest.


policy is meaningless

I didn't mention it once in any of my tests

the points come from analysis of the facts

knowing the law cold allows you to pick out all the nuanced facts the prof hides in the exam and whoever can make the most creative arguments using those facts get the top grades

savagecheater
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby savagecheater » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Seems like you misread the conventional wisdom. You should've taken away that different things work for different people. I used supplements and I'm in the top 5% so you really didn't debunk anything


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most people don't even get the simple black letter law by the end of the semester, then supplements can prove beneficial.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause everyone will know the law by exam time.

To distinguish yourself takes having an in-depth comprehension of the course and the professors particular method of analysis. Those two things can't be found in supplements. It pretty much takes just close listening and reading of the class materials.


I agree with your earlier post advocating against the indiscriminate use of supplements. But, this post suggests that you're being a jerk:

(1) You're making blanket statements based on 1 semester's worth of grades that are very good, but not incredible,

(2) You're using your thread as an opportunity to put down other schools. Yeah, we all know that Columbia's a great law school, but that doesn't mean that other schools are bad.

(3) I challenge your presumption that all students at top schools know the law by the end of the semester. I think a large portion might know the basics, but a good number do not understand the gray areas. Also, the line between black letter law and policy is a lot murkier than you suggest.


policy is meaningless

I didn't mention it once in any of my tests

the points come from analysis of the facts

knowing the law cold allows you to pick out all the nuanced facts the prof hides in the exam and whoever can make the most creative arguments using those facts get the top grades


Until you get pwned by a professor that cares about policy as it applies to the facts.

INB4 "won't happen bro". This must be the new treydeuce

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

+1 for a reverse relation to amount of work done and grades.

Though I find a very strong relation to amount of work done in the 3 days preceding the final and grades.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby Unemployed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Last time I checked, you were full of crap.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=141064&p=3950975#p3950975

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
whats your GPA since you think your hot

3.76 for me :shock:

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

savagecheater wrote:Until you get pwned by a professor that cares about policy as it applies to the facts.

INB4 "won't happen bro". This must be the new treydeuce


what school do you go to?

I think in lower ranked schools where most professors don't even get the simple black letter law, they may want to know about policy applications.

However at places like CLS and other elite schools, it makes less of a difference cause the professors can actually understand the law, and don't need it explained in watered down policy examples.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:10 pm

My theory: law school grades come down to luck. Weather through paying attention in class and reading the casebook or reading the E&E's or some combo thereof, we all know the material. Ultimately it comes down to how you write it, what kind of writing your teacher likes, and a smattering of other things that don't necessarily correlate with study time or any particular method.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:My theory: law school grades come down to luck. Weather through paying attention in class and reading the casebook or reading the E&E's or some combo thereof, we all know the material. Ultimately it comes down to how you write it, what kind of writing your teacher likes, and a smattering of other things that don't necessarily correlate with study time or any particular method.


I'm sorry but I HATE when people say the bolded. I was at the top of my class at my old school and have an even higher rank at my new school (transfer). How on earth could that be straight luck?

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 pm

A'nold wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:My theory: law school grades come down to luck. Weather through paying attention in class and reading the casebook or reading the E&E's or some combo thereof, we all know the material. Ultimately it comes down to how you write it, what kind of writing your teacher likes, and a smattering of other things that don't necessarily correlate with study time or any particular method.


I'm sorry but I HATE when people say the bolded. I was at the top of my class at my old school and have an even higher rank at my new school (transfer). How on earth could that be straight luck?

I

wait

huh?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, cdemps3, Pomegranate27 and 18 guests