TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby TTH » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am

NEWS FLASH: SEEKRIT TO LAWL SKOOL SUCCESS FOUND!

READY?

FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY FOR YOU TO LEARN THE MATERIAL, THEN DO THAT.

WARNING: THIS COULD BE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE! ZOMG!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 pm

TTH wrote:NEWS FLASH: SEEKRIT TO LAWL SKOOL SUCCESS FOUND!

READY?

FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY FOR YOU TO LEARN THE MATERIAL, THEN DO THAT.

WARNING: THIS COULD BE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE! ZOMG!



I can tell by your grammar and diction that you go to a worthless toilet school like Penn or Michigan. How dare you pollute this thread with your plebeian trappings.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 pm

So 0L's DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!


This is an interesting way to conclude a post in the "Forum for Law School Students".

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
TTH wrote:NEWS FLASH: SEEKRIT TO LAWL SKOOL SUCCESS FOUND!

READY?

FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY FOR YOU TO LEARN THE MATERIAL, THEN DO THAT.

WARNING: THIS COULD BE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE! ZOMG!



I can tell by your grammar and diction that you go to a worthless toilet school like Penn or Michigan. How dare you pollute this thread with your plebeian trappings.

Lol.

MTC87
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby MTC87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:07 am

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:0L's out there don't waste your time with all the crazy advice people on this site suggest to succeed in law school

I'm right now top 10% at CLS after the first semester.

To determine what strategy would be best I tried to experiment in my classes this first semester. So for one of my classes I took the classic TLS advice. I read commercial outlines, hornbooks, E&E's, etc. Ended up with a B+ in that class. Not bad but I truly felt I wasted alot of time in those extra material than just focusing on the casebook and the professor. Ended up with a decent 20 page outline at the end of the semester.

In my other two classes, I didn't do any of the crazy stuff people here go on about. No commercial outlines, no hornbooks, no E&E's, nothing. Simply put I was all casebook and class notes. I didn't even make outlines for them. Got A's in both classes.

So 0L's DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

These people here wanna lead you on the wrong path. Listen to every word your professor says and try to comprehend it in class instead of turning into a scribe copying everything they say. Outlines aren't even necessary cause you'll have no time to use it.


I'll ignore the rest of this thread and just say that i agree with this post entirely. Also top 10% at CLS. The only supplement I used was Glannon for Civ Pro. I looked at some Torts and Ks hornbooks briefly and just didn't think they'd be very useful, so I just didn't use them and I did fine.

For second semester, I intend to do the same. I've checked out a few of the popular supplements (Chemerinsky, Dressler), and I realized that they either (1) don't add anything I'm not getting out of the case book and lectures; or (2) distract from the prof's particular take on the law.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:47 am

MTC87 wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:0L's out there don't waste your time with all the crazy advice people on this site suggest to succeed in law school

I'm right now top 10% at CLS after the first semester.

To determine what strategy would be best I tried to experiment in my classes this first semester. So for one of my classes I took the classic TLS advice. I read commercial outlines, hornbooks, E&E's, etc. Ended up with a B+ in that class. Not bad but I truly felt I wasted alot of time in those extra material than just focusing on the casebook and the professor. Ended up with a decent 20 page outline at the end of the semester.

In my other two classes, I didn't do any of the crazy stuff people here go on about. No commercial outlines, no hornbooks, no E&E's, nothing. Simply put I was all casebook and class notes. I didn't even make outlines for them. Got A's in both classes.

So 0L's DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

These people here wanna lead you on the wrong path. Listen to every word your professor says and try to comprehend it in class instead of turning into a scribe copying everything they say. Outlines aren't even necessary cause you'll have no time to use it.


I'll ignore the rest of this thread and just say that i agree with this post entirely. Also top 10% at CLS. The only supplement I used was Glannon for Civ Pro. I looked at some Torts and Ks hornbooks briefly and just didn't think they'd be very useful, so I just didn't use them and I did fine.

For second semester, I intend to do the same. I've checked out a few of the popular supplements (Chemerinsky, Dressler), and I realized that they either (1) don't add anything I'm not getting out of the case book and lectures; or (2) distract from the prof's particular take on the law.


Well, you must have good casebooks and good professors. Not everybody is so lucky.

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: TLS Success in Law School Myths....DEBUNKED

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:06 pm

rejectmaster wrote:in our contracts exam the highest grade was a 63% or something (according to our professor)

after looking at the exam again with no time constraints and the benefit of a crib sheet it seems that you can accomplish that via breadth or depth, but there are certain details that the professor wanted to see and some that he didn't, regardless of their validity.

that makes the whole thing seem really screwy particularly if you're used to quantitative disciplines. exams are graded fairly, in that they're anonymous and judged by the same set of standards, but there are a lot of other variables that make performance very difficult to predict for a lot of people.

in one exam i mentioned some policy crap, (i hate writing about policy) maybe two sentences worth, and it made a huge difference even though it was a total afterthought and i didn't perceive it as enhancing my argument at all but someone ripped ass and it reminded me a class session in which i ripped ass during a large policy discussion.

:mrgreen:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests