Type of computer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
youngblood

Type of computer?

Postby youngblood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I currently have an Acer One as my primary computer. I was wondering if size would be an issue. (no "that's what she said jokes please")

Opinions on computer requirements?

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Type of computer?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 pm

There are already a thousand threads on recommended comps for law school. Do a search and reap their combined wisdom.

Also, check your school's admitted student page or tech services page. At least three of the schools I've been accepted to have required specs that my Acer Aspire One doesn't meet.

youngblood

Postby youngblood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:58 pm

I did do a search but figure newer technology might come into play as well. Thanks

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Would you be comfortable typing a 3+ hour exam on it?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:There are already a thousand threads on recommended comps for law school. Do a search and reap their combined wisdom.

Also, check your school's admitted student page or tech services page. At least three of the schools I've been accepted to have required specs that my Acer Aspire One doesn't meet.

What the hell kind of specs does law school require that any computer from the last 10 years doesn't meet?

FWIW, my school seems to be 75%+ MacBook Pros.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 am

i wrote all my exams on a dinky little netbook, doesn't really make any difference once you're used to the smaller keyboard, since you already have one i'm sure it isn't a problem

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

you need to be able to take notes and type quickly for tests on a very light program. You have no other needs. Use whatever the hell you want. I replaced my netbook with a mac before law school, and it was a waste of money

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

More than 50% have some type of Mac at my school.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm

The main consideration should be the keyboard. Can you type quickly on the keyboard. For me, keyboard size matters, so I would not invest in a netbook or any compact laptop. I type faster on a desktop keyboard than a laptop keyboard, and I type much slower on a netbook keyboard than a laptop keyboard.

Some exams are basically "race-horse" exams where your typing speed can have an impact on your grade. Far as computer specs go, any computer bought in the last 3-5 years should be more than sufficient. Just make sure you buy one with an OS that is supported by the exam software used by your school.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I know a few students w/ netbooks who just bring in a keyboard for finals

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 pm

I agree that the keyboard is a pretty big deal. That's one reason why I strongly favor macbooks. After switching from a viao, which had keys that butted up to each other, to a macbook, which has separated "chiclet" keys, my typing accuracy improved significantly.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm

youngblood wrote:I currently have an Acer One as my primary computer. I was wondering if size would be an issue. (no "that's what she said jokes please")

I love my acer one.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Cupidity wrote:
youngblood wrote:I currently have an Acer One as my primary computer. I was wondering if size would be an issue. (no "that's what she said jokes please")

I love my acer one.

How much RAM do you have? My Acer One doesn't meet RAM specs at two different places, and it is slow if you have more than one thing open.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm

If you don't mind being worrying about your computer during exams more than you otherwise would with a normally powered computer, I'm sure the netbook will be just fine.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Asus = Best Notebook.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 am

sundance95 wrote:If you don't mind being worrying about your computer during exams more than you otherwise would with a normally powered computer, I'm sure the netbook will be just fine.

You do realize that netbooks have power cords that plug into outlets too, right?

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I know a few students w/ netbooks who just bring in a keyboard for finals

Using a separate keyboard with a laptop or netbook just pushes the screen further from you. I would never use a separate keyboard with a laptop other than when I connect it to a docking station.

Anyways, the key issue is basically what I stated before. Find a computer setup that works for you. If a netbook has a large enough keyboard or you are willing to deal with an external keyboard (and thus have your tiny netbook screen even further away), then a netbook can be a decent choice. Just bear in mind that your legal education is expensive, and it is not worth being cheap about a few hundred dollar laptop. How effectively you type can have a significant impact on your grades; therefore, spend the money to buy a laptop you are comfortable using.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Baylan wrote:
sundance95 wrote:If you don't mind being worrying about your computer during exams more than you otherwise would with a normally powered computer, I'm sure the netbook will be just fine.

You do realize that netbooks have power cords that plug into outlets too, right?

I think he's referring to the higher rate of failure among netbooks than laptops.

jkay

Postby jkay » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm

$450 Asus. It will do everything you need and comes with a free one year damage warranty (i.e. you run it over, they send you a new one) as long as you don't buy it at Best Buy. You can't game on it, but lol school has enough nerds even without computer games.

Back up all of your Word and Onenote (+ chrome = the only programs you'll ever need) files on a cloud (dropbox, live, whatever).

You could have one stolen each year and still come out ahead of the Mac fanboys.

jhawk4life

Postby jhawk4life » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 am

I got an HP elitebook 14" and it has been perfect. I did also get a three year warranty that way I know it will last all through law school. Upgrading the warranty on whatever computer you get is something I would highly recommend. I just got a new battery a week ago because mine wasn't holding a charge.

youngblood

Postby youngblood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:58 pm

I checked with the school and the acer has the correct specs. Speed has never been an issue and I am fine with the keyboard. Worse case I will purchase a usb keyboard and if proves an issue I will buy a new one and pass the acer to my dad. I am sure he will love the purple. ;-)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”