Using Prosser & Keaton, Farnsworth? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adude

New

Using Prosser & Keaton, Farnsworth?

Post by adude » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 am

I saw Arrow's guide to succeeding in law school and implemented most of his strategies last semester. I had good results, but wanted to include a few more of his suggestions in my studies. Recently I bought Farnsworth and Prosser & Keaton, but found these books disappointing after skimming through several sections. The historical information and BLL is hard to dissect. It doesn't seem to point out the types of issues that we would be faced with in an exam setting. Instead it seems more focused on the evolution of the law, which really won't help on the types of issue spotters my profs like.

Still, I'm not quite ready to give up on them yet. Any suggestions? Am I approaching these books in the wrong way? Any tips on how to use them effectively?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Re: Using Prosser & Keaton, Farnsworth?

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 am

I'll try to answer your question, but remember this is what just worked for me. I never used Prosser and Keaton except for trying to wrap my head around proximate cause, but I never used to to do anything else. Atleast for me, I just used the Torts E & E and read the casebook, the E & E corresponded with how my prof taught the class and I read it throughout the semester (doing the Q's as I went). I picked up Farnsworth at the law lib and read through it about UCC 2-207, but I found it not to be that helpful at all. I just stuck with the E & E for K's, as well as, Chirelsteins "concepts" book.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am

Did you say Farnsworth?
--ImageRemoved--

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am

prosser and keeton was fatter and longer than my casebook, i cracked it once and sold it on craigslist

also i'm pretty sure it is on lexis or westlaw in searchable form so you can get in and out instead of lugging that trash around

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Did you say Farnsworth?
--ImageRemoved--
He beat the living hell out of Paul Wilson. Classic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 pm

They're treatises, Brohemian, they're not really supposed to help you issue spot exams. FWIW I used both of these treatises and did pretty well in the classes involved. Just remember that the information on products liability is pretty out of date in P&K.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Anything from Professor Farnsworth is pure gold.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:07 pm

I preferred Calamari and Perillo for K's.

Prosser and Keaton was a bit out of date for torts. I liked Dobbs better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”