Kindle or Nook for law school books?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bergg007

Kindle or Nook for law school books?

Postby bergg007 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

OK, so this may be a stupid question but...

I know that you can find some Undergrad books on kindle and nook (though it's pretty limited). does anyone know whether or not you can find Law school books on these devices? I think it'd be great to carry one of these bad boys around than a huge sack of books.

Any knowledge/opinions?

Also what do Law students think of Netbooks? I just don't like carrying a bunch of stuff around.

rebexness

Re: Kindle of Nook for law school books.

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Re: Kindle or Nook for law school books?

Postby bergg007 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks.

Do any current students have or use these devices?

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm

bergg007 wrote:OK, so this may be a stupid question but...

I know that you can find some Undergrad books on kindle and nook (though it's pretty limited). does anyone know whether or not you can find Law school books on these devices? I think it'd be great to carry one of these bad boys around than a huge sack of books.

Any knowledge/opinions?

Also what do Law students think of Netbooks? I just don't like carrying a bunch of stuff around.

I carry around a laptop... it isn't too cumbersome.

Regarding the eReaders, I use the Kindle, but for law school books, I'd have to say hands down the Nook wins. Many books these days come with a free copy, and they only work in Adobe Digital Editions (they're a special type of PDF). That function works with the Nook, but not the Kindle.

That said, I love my Kindle.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I would personally never be able to read my casebooks/ supplements without being able to highlight and write in the margins.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:46 pm

I'd vote neither. You're going to need to be highlighting, writing in margins, and flipping around a lot, which isn't really conducive to an E-reader. I think you really should just get the hard copies.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:47 pm

mbusch22 wrote:I would personally never be able to read my casebooks/ supplements without being able to highlight and write in the margins.

This. Buy an ebook reader if you want an ebook reader, but let's not go pretending it's a necessary item for the average law student, or even a particularly helpful one.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:51 pm

SBL wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:I would personally never be able to read my casebooks/ supplements without being able to highlight and write in the margins.

This. Buy an ebook reader if you want an ebook reader, but let's not go pretending it's a necessary item for the average law student, or even a particularly helpful one.

I didn't think it was necessary, I just wondered if it was helpful, I guess not so much thanks guys

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:26 pm

i have a netbook, desktop, nook, and books
i originally had a laptop but it got stolen last term (sucked mad weiner)

all of my textbooks this term came with digital editions, but I'll read them out of the actual book at home. i never highlight or take notes in the book so i generally will just leave it at home and use the digital copy on the netbook in class.. i tried using the nook a couple of times but it takes too long to go between pages and one textbook page is the equivalent of like 5 nook pages.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”