3L credit for being on law review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

At your school, who gets credit for law review?

2Ls and 3Ls
38%
2Ls only
9%
3Ls only
18%
No one
35%

Total votes: 34

stonepeep

3L credit for being on law review?

Postby stonepeep » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:02 am

At my school, only the 2Ls get academic credit. Curious if this is standard practice everywhere.

JazzOne

Re: 3L credit for being on law review?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:33 am

We don't get any academic credit at UT. In fact, our law review isn't even an official UT organization. We are ranked #7 by Vault though, so I thought that was pretty cool.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 pm

At my school there are two openings for 2L's to write on in the Spring. How many students do you think will submit? Will most just be like "no way, too much work" or do you think there will be a big showing?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm

A'nold wrote:At my school there are two openings for 2L's to write on in the Spring. How many students do you think will submit? Will most just be like "no way, too much work" or do you think there will be a big showing?

The competition will be stiff IMO. I know a 3L who wrote onto our law review this year. He's the editor in chief of one the secondary journals. Last chance.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:
A'nold wrote:At my school there are two openings for 2L's to write on in the Spring. How many students do you think will submit? Will most just be like "no way, too much work" or do you think there will be a big showing?

The competition will be stiff IMO. I know a 3L who wrote onto our law review this year. He's the editor in chief of one the secondary journals. Last chance.

Hmmm......do you have any pointers? I started a thread about this in this forum. Thanks.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Only get credit as a 3L at my school, not as a 2L. That's how they get you to stay.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Renzo wrote:Only get credit as a 3L at my school, not as a 2L. That's how they get you to stay.

That's pretty cool. If we quit after 2L, our law review contacts every employer you submitted a resume to and notifies them that the resume is inaccurate with respect to law review. We're not allowed to put law review on our resumes unless we commit to both years.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 pm

A'nold wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Hmmm......do you have any pointers? I started a thread about this in this forum. Thanks.

What kind of write on competition is it? One essay?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:Only get credit as a 3L at my school, not as a 2L. That's how they get you to stay.

That's pretty cool. If we quit after 2L, our law review contacts every employer you submitted a resume to and notifies them that the resume is inaccurate with respect to law review. We're not allowed to put law review on our resumes unless we commit to both years.

They're not as explicitly threatening about this, but you're not supposed to claim membership unless you commit to both years here either. But mostly they use carrot, not stick. The work is harder your 2L year for no credit, so there's a good incentive to stick it out--less work and academic credit.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”