Early Semester Burnout Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blerg

Bronze

Early Semester Burnout

Post by blerg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:35 pm

I managed to make it through last semester & finals without major burnout, but all of a sudden it's hitting me hard.

Tips? Tricks?

Motivate me please!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Early Semester Burnout

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Take a day entirely off. Do something fun, waste time with video games and movies. Make sure you're not going too hard for the next 2-4 weeks. There is a point where studying becomes counter-productive, I almost hit it last semester and thankfully held back. I think everyone needs a cut off time (mine is 9 p.m.), no matter what I stop working at 9 p.m. (unless a writing assignment is due the next day). It seems to work well and still gives me a couple of hours to relax before bed.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

The above posters comments (about taking a day off) is likely a good one. Don't study/work too hard this early in the semester. The bulk of the useful studying consists of multiple choice and essay practice problems/tests. You really cannot achieve much by studying a lot this early in the semester (in most classes).

Do your reading, outline if you need to, but avoid spending hours on studying unless you need to (ex. trouble understanding a concept). You want to be fresh and ready to kick your studying into high gear in about 1-1.5 months and you will have to maintain that place through finals. Going into the pre-finals study period (the 1-1.5 months before finals) burnt out will kill your grades. Not studying now will have minimal impact on your grades.

For perspective, I spend 2-4 hours a day, 5 days a week reading / studying right now. I spend some additional time on job search/interview/networking related activities. I make sure I spend some time every week watching tv or socializing. Cramming this early in the semester is counter-productive.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

I am sticking with that same game plan I had last semester. I like to front load my studying so that I have time in the middle of the semester (around spring break) to review my outlines and see the big picture. This allows me to 1) focus on my weaknesses, 2) create a game plan for attacking each final, and 3) have extra time at the end of the semester to focus strictly on finals prep.

Many of my peers struggle to get their outlines done until a day or 2 before finals. Many will also not complete all of the assigned readings until the last day of class. I prefer to push through the syllabus on my own. Skim the required cases and read ahead in the supplements. I took Arrow's advice to heart when he said that he had almost all of his required readings done 1 month prior to the end of the semester.

I know getting back into the swing of things sucks after a long break, but I think now is the perfect time to get ahead! You will not burn out at the end of the semester, especially because of spring break, and all of the do or die energy running through your body around finals, IMHO.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 pm

uzpakalis wrote:You will not burn out at the end of the semester, especially because of spring break, and all of the do or die energy running through your body around finals, IMHO.
This.

I'm totally burning out, too. I think it's because I worked hard last semester and now I know that the real learning happens in the second half of the semester in self-study. So it feels pointless right now... When finals come up, I don't have the urge to slack because my work feels directly tied to finals and grades. Right now, it doesn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm finding myself in op's situation. Great advice.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 pm

uzpakalis wrote:I am sticking with that same game plan I had last semester. I like to front load my studying so that I have time in the middle of the semester (around spring break) to review my outlines and see the big picture. This allows me to 1) focus on my weaknesses, 2) create a game plan for attacking each final, and 3) have extra time at the end of the semester to focus strictly on finals prep.

Many of my peers struggle to get their outlines done until a day or 2 before finals. Many will also not complete all of the assigned readings until the last day of class. I prefer to push through the syllabus on my own. Skim the required cases and read ahead in the supplements. I took Arrow's advice to heart when he said that he had almost all of his required readings done 1 month prior to the end of the semester.

I know getting back into the swing of things sucks after a long break, but I think now is the perfect time to get ahead! You will not burn out at the end of the semester, especially because of spring break, and all of the do or die energy running through your body around finals, IMHO.
Geez that sounds depressing. I really hope you're well within the top 5% for all that effort to be worth it.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:03 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:I am sticking with that same game plan I had last semester. I like to front load my studying so that I have time in the middle of the semester (around spring break) to review my outlines and see the big picture. This allows me to 1) focus on my weaknesses, 2) create a game plan for attacking each final, and 3) have extra time at the end of the semester to focus strictly on finals prep.

Geez that sounds depressing. I really hope you're well within the top 5% for all that effort to be worth it.
No joke. I'm lucky to read approximately 1/3rd of the assignments at all anymore, much less all of them a month before finals. Of course, I'm a single dad working full time and already have SA gigs lined up, so my head's not much in it anyway.

Good on you, though. Sounds like you could probably afford to ease up on your strategy a bit. Sometimes it's better to work smarter, not harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”