Nick Name on a Law Student Business Card?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
random5483

Nick Name on a Law Student Business Card?

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 am

I plan on getting some business cards in the near future. I know outside of the legal profession, a business card can include a nick name (ex. John "Johnny" Smith - not my name). Is that considered acceptable in the legal field?

I plan on contacting my school's career office as well, but I was just filling out an order for business cards when I ran into this question. I guess the order will have to wait a day or two.

What do you guys think?

Grizz

Re: Nick Name on a Law Student Business Card?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 am

Don't get a business card unless you want to out yourself as a douche, bro. That's just how it is.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:39 am

rad law wrote:Don't get a business card unless you want to out yourself as a douche, bro. That's just how it is.

Your advice is contrary to everything I have heard at school. Why would getting a business card make me look like a douche?

I do not intend to give it to every person I meet, just to have one in case someone gives me a card.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:44 am

I think you could pull it off if you're older and have been in the professional world for awhile before law school.

Otherwise, don't do it. It'd come off as a Peter Campbell-type douchey.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 am

Jackson Pollock wrote:I think you could pull it off if you're older and have been in the professional world for awhile before law school.

I have about 3 years of work experience after my undergrad, and I have had business cards prior to law school. But, based on both your comments maybe I should avoid getting one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 am

The search function is a wonderful thing: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=124623

Personal note: I think the nickname looks tacky and unprofessional, though I'm no hiring partner.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 am

random5483 wrote:
Jackson Pollock wrote:I think you could pull it off if you're older and have been in the professional world for awhile before law school.

I have about 3 years of work experience after my undergrad, and I have had business cards prior to law school. But, based on both your comments maybe I should avoid getting one.

I mean, I think I was a little harsh, but I'd limit them pretty much solely to networking type situations, like if someone gives you theirs first. I've never had a situation like this come up.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU6SQ_e6VCo

I assume you are planning on giving your business cards to prospective employers. Not many employers are going to take a business card from a law student and do anything with it other than throwing it away. You are better off getting their card. Think of it this way, you wouldn't give your number to a hot girl and actually expect her to call, you are better off getting her number.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:06 am

rad law wrote:I mean, I think I was a little harsh, but I'd limit them pretty much solely to networking type situations, like if someone gives you theirs first. I've never had a situation like this come up.

I would rather email or write down my contact information the way I have the last time I was asked for it than deal with coming off as a douche.

RickyRoe wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU6SQ_e6VCo

I assume you are planning on giving your business cards to prospective employers. Not many employers are going to take a business card from a law student and do anything with it other than throwing it away. You are better off getting their card. Think of it this way, you wouldn't give your number to a hot girl and actually expect her to call, you are better off getting her number.

I guess the general consensus here is to not get a business card. I guess that settles the issue. Thanks.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 am

random5483 wrote:I guess the general consensus here is to not get a business card. I guess that settles the issue. Thanks.

Wow. Usually, a person just gets mad and goes into a rant when their idea gets shot down on TLS.

You seem like a reasonable person and I wish you the best of luck.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 am

I've heard things from my career services office about getting them too. They did suggest, however, that you get them from one of those sites that will do them for free so that way if you don't ever use them you didn't waste money on them. But, like everyone else has been saying, I'm not sure that you really need them.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Do you have a business? Business cards are for people who are employed in some capacity.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Setting aside the issue of whether a business card is douchey for a law student (by the way, I agree that it is) I think that if you go by a nickname at all times, you're probably better off just printing that name on the card. So using your example, just print "Johnny Smith".

As long as your nickname is a common name (like Jim instead of James, Bill instead of William, etc.) and not something like "Chainsaw", it's not unprofessional to refer to yourself that way.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Heartford wrote:Setting aside the issue of whether a business card is douchey for a law student (by the way, I agree that it is) I think that if you go by a nickname at all times, you're probably better off just printing that name on the card. So using your example, just print "Johnny Smith".

As long as your nickname is a common name (like Jim instead of James, Bill instead of William, etc.) and not something like "Chainsaw", it's not unprofessional to refer to yourself that way.

haha I was just about to post "as long as your nickname isnt Chainsaw." I knew a kid who introduced himself as that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:Do you have a business? Business cards are for people who are employed in some capacity.

Or for people who want to drop it in the bowl to be entered in the drawing for free burritos at Chipotle! Damn I love Chipotle.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Do you have a business? Business cards are for people who are employed in some capacity.

Or for people who want to drop it in the bowl to be entered in the drawing for free burritos at Chipotle! Damn I love Chipotle.

This is credited.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad law wrote:

This is credited.

In which case, they should definitely say "Chainsaw"

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 pm

I get it, no business cards for a 1L law student :)

The nick name is one I have always used. In the past my name at work/work emails/etc was always my nick name for my first name. However, since I am a law school student, and all my transcripts reflect my "real" name, I am not sure if using my nick name alone will be sufficient.

As an fyi, my nick name is a regular first name. Just a shorter version of my real first name.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm

rad law wrote:Don't get a business card unless you want to out yourself as a douche, bro. That's just how it is.

OR if u have a real jerb

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 pm

my friends in pharm school were provided business cards by their school.

however, their school seems to give them way more hand-holding in finding them a job, unlike my MVP which has been rather uncaring and useless in that regard. they'll also all be employed with 6 figures salaries upon graduating, with the only downside being that maybe in 10 years half their jobs will be obsolete (tbh i don't think it's as big a downside as it sounds)

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Honestly, getting a couple of business cards made doesn't make you a douche. Handing them out to anyone and everyone you meet does. If you go join your local bar association, attend meetings, and stay involved, practicing lawyers will ask for a card so they can contact you. In this situation I think it is fine to have a card that you can give to them when asked.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 am

random5483 wrote:I get it, no business cards for a 1L law student :)

The nick name is one I have always used. In the past my name at work/work emails/etc was always my nick name for my first name. However, since I am a law school student, and all my transcripts reflect my "real" name, I am not sure if using my nick name alone will be sufficient.

As an fyi, my nick name is a regular first name. Just a shorter version of my real first name.

If your nickname is a regular first name that's a variant of your real first name, I'd say just use your nickname rather than your real first name. People aren't that stupid in being able to connect the dots between your presented name and your transcript (if they see it at all).

If you chose otherwise, don't use John "Johnny" Smith. Instead, use John (Johnny) Smith. The first form is now usually only used for stage names, rather than personal nicknames.

Also, I agree that cards presenting yourself as a law student makes you look like a douche, but if you present yourself as something (i.e. not only a law student), then it's acceptable.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:07 am

Agree with beta. The best way to go about the whole business card situation is to just write a quick email in response. IMO, law students shouldn't have them. They are awkward and unnecessary, and can possibly come off as pretentious.

Also agree with rad. Only reason to maybe have them would be Chipotle.

smears

Postby smears » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 am

I can't believe that no one's asked, "what's the nickname?"

I can't think of one off the top of my head, but there's gotta be at least one nickname out there that was made for this kind of business card. If that's the one he's got, things might be totally different.

OP....what is it?

dan e g baby

Postby dan e g baby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm

random5483 wrote:I plan on getting some business cards in the near future. I know outside of the legal profession, a business card can include a nick name (ex. John "Johnny" Smith - not my name). Is that considered acceptable in the legal field?

I plan on contacting my school's career office as well, but I was just filling out an order for business cards when I ran into this question. I guess the order will have to wait a day or two.

What do you guys think?

Honestly i feel it could help you. Its definitely somewhat ridiculous and obnoxious but if it helps you out in one situation then why not?? i dont feel like it would be smart to go around and hand them out to every man with a dark suit and a briefcase, that might entail a "douche" labeling. But, if the time is right, in certain situations it could work to your advantage. Which in law is a very big deal, just getting one up on the next guy could be that stupid douchey business card. anyway, its just my thoughts. do as you like. and good luck

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”