Need Ideas for Sports law topic to write/research about

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trickydicky

Need Ideas for Sports law topic to write/research about

Postby trickydicky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 am

I have to write a big paper on any sports law topic under the sun.

Anyone in the TLS community have any great ideas?

Please chime in!

jas5076

Re: Need Ideas for Sports law topic to write/research about

Postby jas5076 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:07 am

trickydicky wrote:I have to write a big paper on any sports law topic under the sun.

Anyone in the TLS community have any great ideas?

Please chime in!

One that I think could be potentially interesting is a topic discussing fines against athletes by commissioners... Do they possibly violate any laws? Ex. NFL guy gets fined 25-50K for hitting another guy in a helmet to helmet shot, is this excessive?

Another, although I am sure this one has been beaten to death is whether or not the law belongs in sports? Guy destroy's another guys face with a hockey stick on purpose, should he be charged with assault as well, or just allow the league to punish him?

Maybe another you could talk about fan injuries at games, (getting drilled in head with hockey puck/golf ball) and discuss the effectiveness of the clauses on the tickets about not being liable etc.

Those are just some ideas of the top of the dome I personally like the fines one by the commissioners the best, I think that could prove interesting.

rm61

Postby rm61 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 am

You could talk about amateurism and the marketing problem facing agents: how they can get their name out there without "talking" to college athletes and breaking a billion of the NCAA's 200 trillion rules. Could use current case studies like SC football...

Orrrr, you could talk about sports law and its role in putting together the Olympics, focusing on London 2012...

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:29 am

- Stephon Johnson's suit against USC (interesting tort case related to school/athletic department's duty to students; illustrated by an gruesome weightlifting injury)

- The coach/AD's depth of involvement in keeping their players within the law (especially during the off-season). This would be great b/c you could use the Florida Gators football team for all of your research

- I've always been interested by the fact that players frequently engage in criminal activity (i.e. fighting) with 50k witnesses in the stands and millions watching on TV, yet you never/rarely hear about criminal charges

- Or a paper about Blake Griffin's insanely illegal numbers this year

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 am

I can't think of any that haven't been said already off the top of my head, but when I had to write a paper last semester on "anything in criminal law," someone on here suggested that I check out some blogs about crim law and it really worked. Idk any sports law blogs (I have never looked) but I am sure some exist so try checking those out if you haven't already chosen a topic. Good luck!

trickydicky

Postby trickydicky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm

thanks everyone, I wan to write about something contemporary and relevant. I thought that I had a couple of great topics. Unfortunately, people had already written about them. :(

CLS2011

Postby CLS2011 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 am

Perhaps something to do with drug test arbitration and the NFL Starcaps case?

It's mentioned in passing in a few broader sports law articles (primarily regarding league labor disputes) and there are a few short decision notes about it, but the only full article dealing with it seems to be 33 Hamline L. Rev. 327. Assuming you can provide a different treatment of it I don't think that's a terribly preemptive article.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”