What are the K's that students mention?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mpj_3050

What are the K's that students mention?

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Just trying to understand the lexicon, so what are K's?

dakatz

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm

K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

a K is shorthand for a contract

defendant breached the K

i find it too embarrassing to say that out loud

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

dakatz wrote:K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution

i thought it was superstition over grades

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
dakatz wrote:K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution

i thought it was superstition over grades

C also has multiple sounds, whereas K is one hard sound

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. Thought it was a particular supplement or something research wise.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 am

My understanding was that it comes from the law school tradition of using the Greek alphabet as shorthand. Pi=plaintiff, delta=defendant, kappa=contract (because there is no suitable Greek "C"). But all of the reasons already listed are probably also correct.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 am

Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 am

dakatz wrote:Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

It's also acceptable shorthand on an exam answer. Likewise, using P and D instead of rewriting plaintiff and defendant.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

dakatz wrote:Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

I'm with you on this one; I don't think it would exist if not for 1Ls needing an abbreviation. Think about all the 1L doctrinal classes: Con Law, Crim, Torts (already short), Civ pro, and K's. There's property too, but studying "P" sounds bad, and "pro" sounds too much like procedure.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”