What are the K's that students mention?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

What are the K's that students mention?

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Just trying to understand the lexicon, so what are K's?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm

K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

a K is shorthand for a contract

defendant breached the K

i find it too embarrassing to say that out loud

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

dakatz wrote:K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution


i thought it was superstition over grades

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
dakatz wrote:K's = Contracts. They don't use C because C stands for Constitution


i thought it was superstition over grades


C also has multiple sounds, whereas K is one hard sound

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. Thought it was a particular supplement or something research wise.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby Heartford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 am

My understanding was that it comes from the law school tradition of using the Greek alphabet as shorthand. Pi=plaintiff, delta=defendant, kappa=contract (because there is no suitable Greek "C"). But all of the reasons already listed are probably also correct.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 am

Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby missinglink » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 am

dakatz wrote:Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

It's also acceptable shorthand on an exam answer. Likewise, using P and D instead of rewriting plaintiff and defendant.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What are the K's that students mention?

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

dakatz wrote:Lol, OP, guess there seems to be some disagreement as to why the abbreviations are what they are. However K undoubtedly stands for contract. But its just shorthand to avoid writing the word "contract" out over and over. Its not the kind of thing you say out loud, sorta like "lol" (though I know one kid who says "lol" all the time and it pisses me off)

I'm with you on this one; I don't think it would exist if not for 1Ls needing an abbreviation. Think about all the 1L doctrinal classes: Con Law, Crim, Torts (already short), Civ pro, and K's. There's property too, but studying "P" sounds bad, and "pro" sounds too much like procedure.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests