Evidence Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Aqualibrium

Gold

Evidence Question

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 pm

I know that in a trial you can't ask one witness about the testimony of another witness. What case or rule says that?

StudentAthlete

New

Re: Evidence Question

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Hearsay. seriously?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I know that in a trial you can't ask one witness about the testimony of another witness. What case or rule says that?
I don't recall the specific rules; however, it falls outside the scope of a permissible opinion testimony as reliability is reserved for the trier of fact and it falls outside of permissible testimony for attacking the witness. You can ask about their character for truthfulness, but you can't ask for an evaluation of their actual testimony.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:33 pm

FRE 701 is the lay opinion rule.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I know that in a trial you can't ask one witness about the testimony of another witness. What case or rule says that?
Generally it can't be commented on because the witness should have been sequestered per 615. If you are asking for a witness to comment on the credibility of another, this would be allowed under 608 if it goes to character for truthfulness. But as far as inability to comment on claims raised by other witnesses-not sure what you talking about. 701 does not necessarily exclude such testimony.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Yeah, this confirms that I am not understanding anything in Evidence.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

traehekat wrote:Yeah, this confirms that I am not understanding anything in Evidence.
Semester's young, broheim. Give yourself time.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:But as far as inability to comment on claims raised by other witnesses-not sure what you talking about. 701 does not necessarily exclude such testimony.
I'm having a hard time imagining how that scenario is going to be anything but a lay opinion. Can you provide an example of a permissible question to the second witness?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
bjsesq wrote:But as far as inability to comment on claims raised by other witnesses-not sure what you talking about. 701 does not necessarily exclude such testimony.
I'm having a hard time imagining how that scenario is going to be anything but a lay opinion. Can you provide an example of a permissible question to the second witness?
I guess it would be. The scenario I was thinking about was a lay witness who hadn't been sequestered being used to impeach the testimony of another lay witness. Witness X said _____ on the stand, but that isn't what I saw, I saw _________. It's a rationally based perception helpful to a determination of fact at issue and not based on specialized knowledge. It is a commentary on the testimony of another witness. Perhaps I approached the question all wrong.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
I guess it would be. The scenario I was thinking about was a lay witness who hadn't been sequestered being used to impeach the testimony of another lay witness. Witness X said _____ on the stand, but that isn't what I saw, I saw _________. It's a rationally based perception helpful to a determination of fact at issue and not based on specialized knowledge. It is a commentary on the testimony of another witness. Perhaps I approached the question all wrong.
That's not going to be permissible. Each witness could testify as to what they witnessed, but the evaluation of credibility will be left to the finder of fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”