Con Law Supplement Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Con Law Supplement Question

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:04 pm

I've read that Case Notes keyed to your casebook is the way to go, but unfortunately there is not Case Notes that's keyed to my casebook (Barnett).

I've also heard great things about Blond's supplements, and the Con Law one looked solid. Any thoughts?

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 pm

NYVA311 wrote:I've read that Case Notes keyed to your casebook is the way to go, but unfortunately there is not Case Notes that's keyed to my casebook (Barnett).

I've also heard great things about Blond's supplements, and the Con Law one looked solid. Any thoughts?

Chemerinsky<--OCR

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:I've read that Case Notes keyed to your casebook is the way to go, but unfortunately there is not Case Notes that's keyed to my casebook (Barnett).

I've also heard great things about Blond's supplements, and the Con Law one looked solid. Any thoughts?

Chemerinsky<--OCR


I actually have that supplement, but haven't opened it because it's almost as dense as my casebook. I know, not smart. Just looking for something to easily, quickly help me understand the cases.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby missinglink » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think Con Law lends itself to quick and easy comprehension. That said, the Emanuel Law Outline on the subject seems fairly well done so far. It's also recently updated, so it has some of the more recent Supreme Court decisions.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby uzpakalis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:

Chemerinsky<--OCR

User avatar
Amy wineBerry
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby Amy wineBerry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Chemerinsky is a pretty straight forward read, although it sucks to carry around. Don't wait until it's too late to crack it open; might kick yourself later.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

missinglink wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Con Law lends itself to quick and easy comprehension. That said, the Emanuel Law Outline on the subject seems fairly well done so far. It's also recently updated, so it has some of the more recent Supreme Court decisions.


+1 to Emanuel

If I was taking conlaw again, I would pick Emanuel over Chemerinsky any day of the week.

Really great book that helps you see what you need to be getting out of cases and how you might expect the court to rule on certain issues in the future. Also good exam pointers (e.g. "If you see X on an exam, immediately think Commerce Clause) and some questions in the back of each chapter that were moderately helpful. I also really liked the abbreviated outline in the front that was excellent to sit down and read approaching exam time to get a broad view of the subject.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 pm

I just bought Blonds Con Law. It's more like a Con Law road map...you still have to do readings and such, but it gives you a nice broad overview. Case summaries, flow charts, exam prep questions.

I like it. Simple and efficient.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
missinglink wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Con Law lends itself to quick and easy comprehension. That said, the Emanuel Law Outline on the subject seems fairly well done so far. It's also recently updated, so it has some of the more recent Supreme Court decisions.


+1 to Emanuel

If I was taking conlaw again, I would pick Emanuel over Chemerinsky any day of the week.

Really great book that helps you see what you need to be getting out of cases and how you might expect the court to rule on certain issues in the future. Also good exam pointers (e.g. "If you see X on an exam, immediately think Commerce Clause) and some questions in the back of each chapter that were moderately helpful. I also really liked the abbreviated outline in the front that was excellent to sit down and read approaching exam time to get a broad view of the subject.


I have the Emanuels (as well as Chemerinsky) and it's not helping :? . But our class is being taught chronologically so maybe that's why it's difficult to break things down by topic right now. Maybe as the semester goes on, the Emanuels will be more helpful.

Racer 10 Seconds
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Con Law Supplement Question

Postby Racer 10 Seconds » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 am

I used Chemerinsky to learn the material, and then Emmanuel's to set my outline up. Really for my Con Law you just need the first 200 pages of Chemerinsky. Don't know about elsewhere though.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests