Torts Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Torts Question

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Is there any substantial difference in the Torts E&E 4th edition and 3rd edition when it comes to negligence and causation?

I have the 3rd and I know the 4th is better for intentional torts, but is it worth it for negligence alone, which is our focus this semester?

ogurty

Re: Torts Question

Postby ogurty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Now, I don't know for sure, but someone I studied with bought the 3rd edition, while I had the 4th. The only differences we came up with were some different problems, and several things were reworded. There were no substantive differences we came across.

On a more general note, Tort law hasn't changed radically in the last 10 years. A general movement away from contributory negligence and toward comparative fault, but even that was true 30 years ago.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Nope. I used the 2nd edition and did very well in my class (and the professor specifically recommended Glannon and made many of the points from the book). In the basic areas of tort doctrine, the older editions will be just fine. no need to shell out too much for a new copy.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Cool. Thanks. I don't the stuff on intentional torts anymore, so I'll stick with the 3rd.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”