Is being on a journal necessary?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mrm2083

Is being on a journal necessary?

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:20 pm

For big law in a secondary market is being on a journal (assuming you can't make law review) at the T14 a necessity? Obviously it is a good thing to put on your resume but will employers see it's missing and auto ding you?

Renzo

Re: Is being on a journal necessary?

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 pm

No. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it helps in all cases. It can be a good thing to talk about if your resume is pretty light, but that's about it.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:34 pm

No, not necessary at all. I didn't do the writing competition at my school because I didn't want to be on a journal. It was never brought up in any interviews during OCI. It can certainly give you something to talk about if you don't have any interesting work experience, but other than that, meh.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Who knows how I got what I got with what was on my resume. Can't say that I would go back and NOT do journal and take my chances.

I had plenty of friends who got the jobs they wanted with no journal, no moot court, or neither, but once I saw moot court wasn't happening before OCI I figured journal was the way to go. Plus it came up constantly in interviews.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:27 pm

If you guys aren't doing journal, are you doing some other extracurricular to put on your resume? I'm curious if many people were able to land offers with no EC of any kind. I had always thought that journal or an equivalent during 2L was a de facto requirement no matter what you're trying to do with your JD.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

No to journal. ECs definitely help.

Did a bunch of ECs and I'm co-authoring an article with a prof I had. Not having journal (I never applied) never came up in an interview.

(ECs, in case you're wondering, consisted of helping develop urban revitalization plans, teaching inner-city youth, Big Brother program, RA for 2 profs after 1L)

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Not necessary. Grades and work experience are more important than secondary journal work. Plenty of people I know with good grades and NO journal work (or ECs) for that matter got multiple offers. I think ECs/journal work may help, albeit not much, if your grades are borderline. If your grades are bad, nothing will help except military/other unique work experience or an IP background.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 am

cornellbeez wrote:Not necessary. Grades and work experience are more important than secondary journal work. Plenty of people I know with good grades and NO journal work (or ECs) for that matter got multiple offers. I think ECs/journal work may help, albeit not much, if your grades are borderline. If your grades are bad, nothing will help except military/other unique work experience or an IP background.

this.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 am

If you have grades/EC's/WE and a secondary journal, then it's better than just having grades/EC's/WE. But it's not going to singlehandedly mean autoding.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

things like mock trial and moot court (if you do well) can help too.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

are there certain kinds of jobs vs certain other kinds of jobs where journals matter decisively more/less? like public interest vs biglaw for example?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 pm

imisscollege wrote:are there certain kinds of jobs vs certain other kinds of jobs where journals matter decisively more/less? like public interest vs biglaw for example?

clerkships/ academia are where it matters.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
imisscollege wrote:are there certain kinds of jobs vs certain other kinds of jobs where journals matter decisively more/less? like public interest vs biglaw for example?

clerkships/ academia are where it matters.

The journal may not get the job for you, but the skills you learn (advanced research, writing, interpersonal (working with an editor, meeting deadlines, and planning and organizing a symposium) will help you keep it.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 pm

If your grades are great, all of the other stuff doesn't matter. Unless maybe you are trying for like a SCOTUS clerkship or something, but biglaw in a secondary market (the OPs goal) can be cracked simply with a Top 5% or Top 10% class standing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”