Is biglaw out of the question? from CCN.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
paulinaporizkova

Re: Is biglaw out of the question? from CCN.

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

courtneylove wrote:I didn't fuck around and I got a really bad grade. I feel like garbage.

that sucks :( sawwy

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Word on the street is one of my profs last year(NYU) tried to give someone a C and was overruled by the school and had to change it to a B-. Not sure if its true that is but it's pretty hard to get a C. Hence it will look very bad to any employer with any familiarity with the school. B-s are required and someone has to get them, but a C....

retake

Postby retake » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
730 wrote:But some of the left over 40 percent didn't want biglaw, they got clerkships, PI, gov, or academia? I feel like I could be wrong on this, but it seems like over 60 percent of people have a shot? Id love to hear more from people on this topic.

If 60 percent got biglaw and another 10 percent or so did clerkships thats now 70 percent. Id say theres probably an additional 10 percent or so that dont want it.

So from these very rough calculations, top 80% or so should have a fair to good shot at biglaw. Bottom 20%, might be out of luck. Sorry

That sounds about right for Harvard, but for CCN, I think that number's closer to 60%, and that's being optimistic.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:02 am

730 wrote:Please read more carefully. I already stated that I am not claiming these are my grades. Also the question and the subsequent questions are not phrased in the first person.

I read more carefully. Your premise is still dumb.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:31 pm

retake wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:
730 wrote:But some of the left over 40 percent didn't want biglaw, they got clerkships, PI, gov, or academia? I feel like I could be wrong on this, but it seems like over 60 percent of people have a shot? Id love to hear more from people on this topic.

If 60 percent got biglaw and another 10 percent or so did clerkships thats now 70 percent. Id say theres probably an additional 10 percent or so that dont want it.

So from these very rough calculations, top 80% or so should have a fair to good shot at biglaw. Bottom 20%, might be out of luck. Sorry

That sounds about right for Harvard, but for CCN, I think that number's closer to 60%, and that's being optimistic.

Well, CCN placed about 60% in biglaw on the most recent NLJ250 list, but the data is from a 2 years ago, so ITE things may be different.

Postby 730 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 pm

JG Hall wrote:
730 wrote:Please read more carefully. I already stated that I am not claiming these are my grades. Also the question and the subsequent questions are not phrased in the first person.

I read more carefully. Your premise is still dumb.

It happened...just never said it happened to me.

retake

Postby retake » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:38 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
retake wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

Well, CCN placed about 60% in biglaw on the most recent NLJ250 list, but the data is from a 2 years ago, so ITE things may be different.

Yah, but that doesn't include clerkships, etc. I meant 60% could get it if they want to.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”