anyone else?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

anyone else?

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:11 pm

this semester has gone from 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds flat.

we just got our legal writing assignment [worth 50%], theres a ton of internship app deadlines,etc....so much more stuff going on. I so wish I hadnt wasted break and had at least written my cover letter.

SeymourShowz

Re: anyone else?

Postby SeymourShowz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm on the verge of completely losing it.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

goosey wrote:this semester has gone from 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds flat.

we just got our legal writing assignment [worth 50%], theres a ton of internship app deadlines,etc....so much more stuff going on. I so wish I hadnt wasted break and had at least written my cover letter.

The school load is not too bad. I mean the readings are heavy, but we don't have any studying to do yet. But the internship applications are taking tons of time.

And what do you mean by "cover letter." I have written like 30+ cover letters and still have more to draft. Portions of them cover letter can be reused, but each letter takes time and effort :(

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm

No, I have learned enough by now to have some idea which things I don't actually have to care about.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm definitely feeling like time is slipping away...quickly.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 pm

my course load is so much lighter. I really don't know what to do with myself. My reading load is about 1/2 of what it was last semester (and based on the syllabuses, that will continue). I haven't done any reading since yesterday at 10 am and I'm still 3 full days ahead.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Geist13 wrote:my course load is so much lighter. I really don't know what to do with myself. My reading load is about 1/2 of what it was last semester (and based on the syllabuses, that will continue). I haven't done any reading since yesterday at 10 am and I'm still 3 full days ahead.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

are you a 1L??

my reading load is like, burying me. its mostly just con law, the other two classes arent that bad

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 pm

yup 1L. my con law is pretty light, been averaging 20-30 pages a week.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Geist13 wrote:my course load is so much lighter. I really don't know what to do with myself. My reading load is about 1/2 of what it was last semester (and based on the syllabuses, that will continue). I haven't done any reading since yesterday at 10 am and I'm still 3 full days ahead.

Do you have a summer job lined up? Other plans?

I mean the reading is not bad. I am much faster at reading/taking notes/etc. But, the applications are taking up every free moment I have.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I blew an ulcer open this time last year. I feel for you guys. I can't say for certain it gets better, but at least my stress this year has been my own doing. :(

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 pm

random5483 wrote:

Do you have a summer job lined up? Other plans?

I mean the reading is not bad. I am much faster at reading/taking notes/etc. But, the applications are taking up every free moment I have.

Nothing lined up, but I've sent out about 75 applications (most mostly to judges but some other things I really want also). I'm not applying anywhere right now because I get grades next week and it would be foolish to apply now and then send a grade update six days later. But really the applications don't take that much time once you have a few stock cover letters. I have one I use for judges, one I use for firms with practice specialties matching my interests, one I use for USAO/DA offices and the like I'll need to write a couple more for fed. agencies I guess. After that its just a matter of changing a couple lines to establish my connections to the location of the office (home state, state i attended college, whatever). The applications took up a lot of time up front (mostly perfecting my writing sample) but I did most of that work over break.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 pm

goosey wrote:this semester has gone from 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds flat.

i'm pretty sure we go to the same school. i am with you. it's a strong possibility I may jump out the window!

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:58 pm

The course load is doable; so doable that I was kind of excited. Getting the legal writing assignment brought me back down to Earth. I wanted to crawl under the desk in the fetal position. //_-

I know they say don't focus so much on legal writing class, but my section has a high median which I've been below. Eff that. I refuse to be pwned by a C+ when I was doing B/B- work all because the curve is too high. Now I have to work for a solid B+ to account for the median.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Amy wineBerry wrote:

The course load is doable; so doable that I was kind of excited. Getting the legal writing assignment brought me back down to Earth. I wanted to crawl under the desk in the fetal position. //_-

I know they say don't focus so much on legal writing class, but my section has a high median which I've been below. Eff that. I refuse to be pwned by a C+ when I was doing B/B- work all because the curve is too high. Now I have to work for a solid B+ to account for the median.

Yeah, I really do not envy you folks with graded legal writing, that would be horrible. We have also not been given enough info to begin our writing assignment. When we do I'll be busting ass to get that finished as quickly as possible.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm

We got our legal writing assignment today but I wasn't listening. Love pass/fail 8)

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am

We have polished outlines due for our spring brief due sunday.

to rephrase that: We will be done researching for our brief for the semester before we get our fall grades back.

I am -(okay with this)

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 am

Amen, brother.

Quick turnaround required, including a memo worth half of our grade on top of job applications and normal LS study grind. The lack of bridges within walking distance helps. So does meditation.

Eco

Postby Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 am

In my opinion the only thing that got worse this semester is LRW. Readings are so light especially property, and for Con Law my professor is really old so we go through the syllabus realllllly slowly.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 am

Geist13 wrote:yup 1L. my con law is pretty light, been averaging 20-30 pages a week.

I normally have more than that per class. I had to go to con law unprepared today just because I couldn't physically stay awake last night to get the reading done.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:
Geist13 wrote:yup 1L. my con law is pretty light, been averaging 20-30 pages a week.

I normally have more than that per class. I had to go to con law unprepared today just because I couldn't physically stay awake last night to get the reading done.

same here..I finished con law reading in the morning because I could not stay awake last night...at the expense of doing K's properly--i had to do the K's reading in the 30 minutes we have between class. horrible.

we had 3 days of con law in a row this week, omg, I have never experienced such pain before in my life.

and as far as graded lwr, I am surprised so many see it as a detriment. I actually like that its graded--our lwr class is worth 4 credits total by the end of this semester..and I feel like that is the one class where you get what you put in guaranteed [ok, semi-guaranteed] and its a nice way to boost your gpa or at least even it out if you get below median for one class. Its really not hard to get median in legal writing, and if you can manage to get an A...at my school, two semesters of legal writing is worth the same as torts and more than crim was. I like that.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:00 pm

goosey wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:

same here..I finished con law reading in the morning because I could not stay awake last night...at the expense of doing K's properly--i had to do the K's reading in the 30 minutes we have between class. horrible.

we had 3 days of con law in a row this week, omg, I have never experienced such pain before in my life.

and as far as graded lwr, I am surprised so many see it as a detriment. I actually like that its graded--our lwr class is worth 4 credits total by the end of this semester..and I feel like that is the one class where you get what you put in guaranteed [ok, semi-guaranteed] and its a nice way to boost your gpa or at least even it out if you get below median for one class. Its really not hard to get median in legal writing, and if you can manage to get an A...at my school, two semesters of legal writing is worth the same as torts and more than crim was. I like that.

how after the epic rant you had in the other thread can you possibly say that "and as far as graded lwr, I am surprised so many see it as a detriment. I actually like that its graded--our lwr class is worth 4 credits total by the end of this semester..and I feel like that is the one class where you get what you put in guaranteed [ok, semi-guaranteed] and its a nice way to boost your gpa"?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 pm

wiseowl wrote:
goosey wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:

how after the epic rant you had in the other thread can you possibly say that "and as far as graded lwr, I am surprised so many see it as a detriment. I actually like that its graded--our lwr class is worth 4 credits total by the end of this semester..and I feel like that is the one class where you get what you put in guaranteed [ok, semi-guaranteed] and its a nice way to boost your gpa"?

lol. I know what youre saying, but what happened to me is an anomaly...and in general, I feel like anyone that puts the work in will benefit from it--again, unless some freak incident occurs like it did for me. But at the same time, while I was annoyed that my A was essentially just taken from me by the registrar, that B+ still helps me fight the B- in torts at least marginally..and hopefully nothing crazy happens in LWR this semester [this was the first grade I predicted, and out of superstition, i refuse to predict grades this semester after what happened] and it will be an A or at the least a B+, either of which will do some amount of damage control for torts. without a graded legal writing, id have just the substantive classes, which are reallly no guarantees of anything. no matter what happens with lwr, i know it will at least be a B+ [scared to even type this now] and its nice to have that to neutralize any below median grades.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:56 pm

I can't wait to get back to learning

blerg

Postby blerg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I am really just feeling totally crushed and under motivated between the con. law reading and the never ending snow.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”