NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby jkay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:27 pm

As if TLS'ers needed them.

To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test

“The struggle helps you learn, but it makes you feel like you’re not learning,” said Nate Kornell, a psychologist at Williams College. “You feel like: ‘I don’t know it that well. This is hard and I’m having trouble coming up with this information.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/scien ... ml?_r=1&hp

The one change I am making next semester: more fully written, timed practice tests, and earlier.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

jkay wrote:As if TLS'ers needed them.

To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test

“The struggle helps you learn, but it makes you feel like you’re not learning,” said Nate Kornell, a psychologist at Williams College. “You feel like: ‘I don’t know it that well. This is hard and I’m having trouble coming up with this information.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/scien ... ml?_r=1&hp

The one change I am making next semester: more fully written, timed practice tests, and earlier.


Yes, but is law school a losing game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2789
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby forza » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm

There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
jkay wrote:As if TLS'ers needed them.

To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test

“The struggle helps you learn, but it makes you feel like you’re not learning,” said Nate Kornell, a psychologist at Williams College. “You feel like: ‘I don’t know it that well. This is hard and I’m having trouble coming up with this information.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/scien ... ml?_r=1&hp

The one change I am making next semester: more fully written, timed practice tests, and earlier.


Yes, but is law school a losing game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html


I c wut u did ther

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 pm

forza wrote:There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.



Agreed.

Just make sure you take some untimed practice tests with an outline to help you out initially. As the exams approach though, all your practice tests should be timed and possibly closed book (I take them closed book, but arguments can be made for either way).

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 pm

random5483 wrote:
forza wrote:There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.



Agreed.

Just make sure you take some untimed practice tests with an outline to help you out initially. As the exams approach though, all your practice tests should be timed and possibly closed book (I take them closed book, but arguments can be made for either way).


I think you should only take PT's closed book if your exam is closed book. If your outline is good, you can use it during the exam and there is seriously no need to memorize.

However taking PT's with your outline is extremely smart. I was able to tweak my outlines to the needs to the class because of it (i.e. add certain policy arguments, emphasize points, etc.)

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:13 am

The guy on that NYT article is from Thomas Jefferson Law School. The article isn't very accurate.

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby megadeth317 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 am

This makes me feel better about doing well this semester (and really stupid for not making time to do it last semester). I started practice tests the day before the exam. Stupid.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:56 am

Seems as if the Williams College study suggests that quarter and trimester systems might be better for learning than semester systems due to more frequent testing.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], ididntwantsalmon, Milksteak, OldArmy and 7 guests