New device invented to speed up grading

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JCougar

New device invented to speed up grading

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGb ... page#t=41s

This should allow law professors to hand in grades in 3 weeks instead of 4. And it should save students a ton of wasted time studying the law and how it applies, which is not tested on law exams.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: New device invented to speed up grading

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 am

Won't work. I've heard law prof's can't count past 4.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:00 am

There are some fast and effective grading systems already in use today.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2006/12/a_guide_to_grad.html

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 am

vanwinkle wrote:There are some fast and effective grading systems already in use today.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2006/12/a_guide_to_grad.html

That requires too much work. First you have to lift up the entire stack of papers and carry them....ALL THE WAY to the stairs. The device I linked to only requires flipping of a switch, and you can get your assistant to do that.

Then you have to count each one individually and note its position. Your assistant or your TA will be too busy to do this, because they have to run and get you coffee. As you can see, the device I linked to is far superior. The positions of the dice are automatically loaded into a computer system, which can be hooked up to the school's server and fed straight into your grade report page, after a simple algorithm converts the raw dice roll into either a letter grade or into your school's numerical grading system.

Professors will still have to get those 2 weeks of vacation out of the way before they even start to focus on grading exams, so it will only speed up the grading process marginally, but any improvement is still improvement.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 am

Not a new device, but this one has been speeding up grading for a while now too:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:49 am

That process is too unwieldy. How many students are in a class? 100? Imagine having to shake that thing 100 times, and then manually enter the values into a spreadsheet.

Dice machine FTW.

nnnnnn-threadin'

Postby nnnnnn-threadin' » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

profs grade soooo slow!

and i think they just throw them down the stairs!!

ooh man this is funny!!!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 am

JCougar wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGbZbs&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s

This should allow law professors to hand in grades in 3 weeks instead of 4. And it should save students a ton of wasted time studying the law and how it applies, which is not tested on law exams.

As much as I would have faith in this grading method, I don't think it will necessarily lead to faster grades. This will only allow the professor to leave on his winter vacation 1 week earlier before returning back to submit his grades 2 days past the deadline per faculty custom.

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Won't work. I've heard law prof's can't count past 4.

They sure can at my school, where they have 5 weeks, or 6 if they taught two classes that had essay finals. This exception applied to one of my profs who gave us an early exam (November 12), and still hasn't turned in our grade. Per the rules, he has a week longer than everyone else, and his grades are not due until next Friday. It's unbelievable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”