Dressy Casual? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bobthe

New

Dressy Casual?

Post by bobthe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Dressy Casual?

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

bobthe wrote:I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)
Use the search function. You will get all the info you need.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

bobthe wrote:I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)
If I were you, I would show up in a suit, minus the tie. Probably best to go with a darker color, think charcoal or navy. The fact that they threw in "dressy" would make me default to the suit, "casual" probably means lose the tie.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I'd wear loafers, slacks, and a nice sweater. I think a suit is too much, but a sportcoat would be appropriate (w/o a tie).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

I'd go slacks and a button down, and maybe a blazer. No need for a tie, but even at business casual events I've been too, people invariably wear suits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I would guess you'll see people there in everything from dark jeans + loafers + shirt-sweater combo to people in suit and tie. I would go somewhere in between, but on the higher end. Loafers + suit without tie or loafers + suit pants + shirt-sweater combo is probably FTW.

Edit: if the only loafers you have are driving shoes or moccasins, I would go with regular dress shoes.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:38 am

Don't do loafers, just err on the side of classy, regular dress shoes.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 am

--ImageRemoved--

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 am

quakeroats wrote:--ImageRemoved--
i literally laughed out loud, caught me unprepared. made me log in just to comment

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”