Dressy Casual?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bobthe

Dressy Casual?

Postby bobthe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)

dextermorgan

Re: Dressy Casual?

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

bobthe wrote:I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)

Use the search function. You will get all the info you need.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

bobthe wrote:I recently received an invitation to a law firms cocktail party this weekend. The dress is "Dressy Casual" and I have no clue what that means. Could anyone help me out? (I am a guy and dumb when it comes to this stuff)

If I were you, I would show up in a suit, minus the tie. Probably best to go with a darker color, think charcoal or navy. The fact that they threw in "dressy" would make me default to the suit, "casual" probably means lose the tie.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I'd wear loafers, slacks, and a nice sweater. I think a suit is too much, but a sportcoat would be appropriate (w/o a tie).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

I'd go slacks and a button down, and maybe a blazer. No need for a tie, but even at business casual events I've been too, people invariably wear suits.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I would guess you'll see people there in everything from dark jeans + loafers + shirt-sweater combo to people in suit and tie. I would go somewhere in between, but on the higher end. Loafers + suit without tie or loafers + suit pants + shirt-sweater combo is probably FTW.

Edit: if the only loafers you have are driving shoes or moccasins, I would go with regular dress shoes.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:38 am

Don't do loafers, just err on the side of classy, regular dress shoes.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 am

--ImageRemoved--

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 am

quakeroats wrote:--ImageRemoved--

i literally laughed out loud, caught me unprepared. made me log in just to comment

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”