Exam Grade Change Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nylaw23

New

Exam Grade Change

Post by nylaw23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 am

Does anyone have experience getting their grade changed on their exam because their professor took off for something that is technically correct, but taught differently in class?

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Exam Grade Change

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 am

Since essentially every law school except Yale uses a forced curve, isn't this technically impossible? If they were to change one grade they'd have to change another.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

nylaw23 wrote:Does anyone have experience getting their grade changed on their exam because their professor took off for something that is technically correct, but taught differently in class?
Rule number 1: if your professor teaches something that conflicts with a hornbook, your professor's interpretation is the one you use.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 am

nylaw23 wrote:Does anyone have experience getting their grade changed on their exam because their professor took off for something that is technically correct, but taught differently in class?
Won't happen, but you could try.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:49 am

mistergoft wrote:
Rule number 1: if your professor teaches something that conflicts with a hornbook, your professor's interpretation is the one you use.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 am

uwb09 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
TITCR

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 am

The only time I've ever heard of anyone getting their grades change is when the professor added up the points on their exam incorrectly.

In other words, you will not be getting any subjective grade change on finals. Unless your school is a joke and allows that to happen.

nylaw23

New

Post by nylaw23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Figured this would be an uphill battle....

If anyone has any advice on how to approach the professor...

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:07 pm

nylaw23 wrote:Figured this would be an uphill battle....

It seems like you don't want to hear this tidbit below, but it is 100% accurate, and you would be well suited to adjust to it! Approaching a professor with the term "technically correct" is a bit of an oxymoron for the study of law anyway. I really think this would be more than just an uphill battle.
mistergoft wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm

nylaw23 wrote:Figured this would be an uphill battle....

don't do it

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 am

"Technically correct" is "incorrect" for law school exams.

If your professor was nice enough to give you the BLL (few of mine are that nice) then they expect you to use their version of the BLL. Using any other version of the BLL will tell them that you used an outside source to figure out the law.

My professor for crim law had a student raise an issue after midterms. He tried to challenge the minority position that the professor gave us in class and used a supplement to show he was right. The professor told him the supplement was wrong and that he was being tested on what she taught and not what the supplement said.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 am

One the assistant deans told my class that grade changes for anything other than computational reasons were not allowed by rule.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm

mistergoft wrote:
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ghostwhowalks

New

Post by ghostwhowalks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

No one is curious as to what OP's contention is? Perhaps the professor's error was amusingly egregious.

nylaw23

New

Post by nylaw23 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:56 pm

The error is not egregious but from my independent research there has been a different interpretation of the law that we were tested on. I know you are thinking that I probably do not know what I am talking and my interpretation isn't right, but interesting what we were taught was the same thing from 20 years ago that does not incorporate an important Supreme Court decision interpreting an earlier decision that is the basis of the law we were taught. (what we were taught was the implications of the earlier decision)

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm

nylaw23 wrote:The error is not egregious but from my independent research there has been a different interpretation of the law that we were tested on. I know you are thinking that I probably do not know what I am talking and my interpretation isn't right, but interesting what we were taught was the same thing from 20 years ago that does not incorporate an important Supreme Court decision interpreting an earlier decision that is the basis of the law we were taught. (what we were taught was the implications of the earlier decision)
You're tested on what you are taught in class, not what you glean from your "independent research". Your professor will not adjust your grade because what you said was technically correct - that would put all of your classmates who recited the information taught at a disadvantage.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

nylaw23 wrote:The error is not egregious but from my independent research there has been a different interpretation of the law that we were tested on. I know you are thinking that I probably do not know what I am talking and my interpretation isn't right, but interesting what we were taught was the same thing from 20 years ago that does not incorporate an important Supreme Court decision interpreting an earlier decision that is the basis of the law we were taught. (what we were taught was the implications of the earlier decision)
Why argue this? Unless the case was directly on-point, it'll take years for the law to reshape. For example, look at the rapidly evolving doctrine surrounding the Confrontation clause. This is likely why the prof chose to teach the existing doctrine.

Anyways, why would you incorporate outside materials into the exam? Even if you are right, you know that since the prof isn't teaching the doctrine then he'll probably not grade based on the new doctrine?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:14 pm

You are graded based on your casebook and what you are taught in class. You are not being graded on "current" law or law that is derived from supplements. Basically, if you wrote something that is technically right, you will lose points unless the law is from either: 1) Your casebook or other assigned material or 2) From class.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, based on the reason you have given for wanting a change, you have exactly zero chance of actually getting your grade changed and a 100% chance of pissing off your professor and making yourself look bad by asking.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 pm

I wouldn't ask to change your grade.

I would go talk with your professor about your test and discuss this with him. No harm with letting him know what you are thinking and getting his perspective. If nothing else it will help you on future exams. Not this one though, and again, I would not even ask unless the professor brings it up; but who knows maybe you can impress the hell out of him.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 am

This scenario is probably why so many professors say don't use outside supplements. I use them; they are quite helpful; but in the end your professor's take is the one that matters for the exam. The danger with supplements is remembering and using what was in the supplement over what was taught in class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:One the assistant deans told my class that grade changes for anything other than computational reasons were not allowed by rule.
We have this policy as well.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am

flcath wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:One the assistant deans told my class that grade changes for anything other than computational reasons were not allowed by rule.
We have this policy as well.
My school also has this policy.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 am

If your civil procedure professor teaches you that Pennoyer v. Neff and Swift v. Tyson are still the law of the land, you must apply that law on the exam. The professor is always right.
Last edited by Cavalier on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 am

Why not set up a appointment to review your exam? Review your exam with the professor and then ask him the question.

This will be helpful in many different ways and you won't be the idiot who comes in begging for a grade change when everyone knows that grade changes never happen unless there was a computational error.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”