Worth it to get student membership for bar associations?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
eastlawcali

Worth it to get student membership for bar associations?

Postby eastlawcali » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

1L here. One of our career counselers handed out some student membership applications for our local bar associations. I was wondering whether it's worth it to fork up the fees to get student membership at my state and city bar associations? And do law students list those types of memberships on their resumes (or would it be considered just fluff and resume-filler)?

Sorry for the dumb question. No one I've talked to in my class has bothered with it but maybe there's a TLS poster here who is a member of their local bar associations and has found it actually useful for networking, special events, etc. Thanks in advance.

traehekat

Re: Worth it to get student membership for bar associations?

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Some states have free memberships available for law students, I believe. I'm a member of two state bar associations, and yeah... it is kind of just resume filler but it helps when you don't really have other legal related stuff. It's a nice way to keep up on what is going on though, and shows that you kind of have a pulse on legal news.

Renzo

Re: Worth it to get student membership for bar associations?

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:06 am

the ABA is not worth it, but your local bar ass'n might be. I have gone to some really good presentations/networking opportunities sponsored by the local bar ass'n.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”