Yes, another "should I drop out thread"...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DoubleChecks

Re: Yes, another "should I drop out thread"...

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Veyron wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Anon135 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: wait, so how did you feel about your exams themselves? did you start taking them and go...oh shit. or was it like, this is easysauce?

I felt pretty weird. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure.

Man, im sorry to hear it. I kinda know what you mean, because you've set off a cold chill inside of me as I wait for my grades...lol. felt good about them, but who knows for first semester right?!

No shit. Now I'm even MOAR terrified.

P.S. Shut yo' mouth pineapple - HYS has a shot at biglaw from anywhere in the class. What, are you worried about your V5 prospects or something?

as much as i would love for this to be true...your transcript is pretty marred (esp. now when LPs are discretionary) if you get 1-2 LPs during 1L yr.

downstream

Postby downstream » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

I am going to make the case for not dropping out.

First, I will assume that you have already paid for the spring semester. There is a reason that a good chunk of law schools do not rank until the end of the entire year and not just the first semester. The first semester is tough, there is quite a bit of noise and it may not represent the true abilities of a law student. Kagan got like a B and a B- her first semester and then totally righted the ship for the rest of her law school career. If you have paid for this semester then you owe it to yourself to give it another crack.

Second, if you are at CCN with a scholly then you are obviously very bright. I see no reason why you wouldnt be able to glean the changes that need to be made by meeting with your professors. You will learn what you need to learn and then you will apply it to this semester with success, I am convinced of this.

Third, I don't know your career ambitions but I also disagree with anyone that is writing you out of Art III or Biglaw right now. You have the chance to turn in a dynamo of a second semester and get this thing together. Biglaw firms will see that in OCI and, provided that you make the grade cutoff, may be willing to overlook the first semester if your interpersonal skills give them the desire to look past it. If you dont make the grade cutoff, I still wouldnt rule it out. You will have the chance to re-interview later, 2L classes are less likely to be as tough to do well in and you could really wind up surprising yourself. The economy continues to improve, keep that in mind.

You yourself have stated that you want to be a lawyer. I don't see a reason to abandon the hope of achieving that goal at this time. With some elbow grease and some strategic studying next semester, you may be able to turn your first semester grades into nothing more than a funny tidbit to one day talk about at cocktail parties.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 am

[/quote]

I felt pretty weird. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure.[/quote]

Man, im sorry to hear it. I kinda know what you mean, because you've set off a cold chill inside of me as I wait for my grades...lol. felt good about them, but who knows for first semester right?![/quote]

No shit. Now I'm even MOAR terrified.

P.S. Shut yo' mouth pineapple - HYS has a shot at biglaw from anywhere in the class. What, are you worried about your V5 prospects or something?[/quote]

as much as i would love for this to be true...your transcript is pretty marred (esp. now when LPs are discretionary) if you get 1-2 LPs during 1L yr.[/quote]

It may make life more difficult, but I know at least some firms treat all HY transcripts as meeting the grade cutoff. Mass mailing and networking FTW. You can still fuck it up, but it will be because of your interpersonal skills.

Now poor old me on the other hand. My only recourse is to prayer. Please G-d, I'm not asking for much. Not top 10% or CSM. Just land me around median and I can take it from there!

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:06 am

downstream wrote:I am going to make the case for not dropping out.

First, I will assume that you have already paid for the spring semester. There is a reason that a good chunk of law schools do not rank until the end of the entire year and not just the first semester. The first semester is tough, there is quite a bit of noise and it may not represent the true abilities of a law student. Kagan got like a B and a B- her first semester and then totally righted the ship for the rest of her law school career. If you have paid for this semester then you owe it to yourself to give it another crack.

Second, if you are at CCN with a scholly then you are obviously very bright. I see no reason why you wouldnt be able to glean the changes that need to be made by meeting with your professors. You will learn what you need to learn and then you will apply it to this semester with success, I am convinced of this.

Third, I don't know your career ambitions but I also disagree with anyone that is writing you out of Art III or Biglaw right now. You have the chance to turn in a dynamo of a second semester and get this thing together. Biglaw firms will see that in OCI and, provided that you make the grade cutoff, may be willing to overlook the first semester if your interpersonal skills give them the desire to look past it. If you dont make the grade cutoff, I still wouldnt rule it out. You will have the chance to re-interview later, 2L classes are less likely to be as tough to do well in and you could really wind up surprising yourself. The economy continues to improve, keep that in mind.

You yourself have stated that you want to be a lawyer. I don't see a reason to abandon the hope of achieving that goal at this time. With some elbow grease and some strategic studying next semester, you may be able to turn your first semester grades into nothing more than a funny tidbit to one day talk about at cocktail parties.

Point is not completely writing off Art III/Biglaw chances, just that given shoddy first sem grades it makes sense to realize that these prospects are looking slim in deciding to stay/leave.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 am

Do you want to be a lawyer? If yes, stick with it.

You go to a T6 on a good scholly. Biglaw isn't even out of the picture yet (if that's what you're into), although it is probably an uphill battle from here. Unlike all of the other "Should I drop out?" threads from people at TTTs or people who don't really want to be a lawyer, you're still in a pretty decent position, and one bad semester shouldn't keep you from being a lawyer, if that's what you want to do. Talk to your profs and figure out how you can improve next semester.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:33 am

romothesavior wrote:Do you want to be a lawyer? If yes, stick with it.

You go to a T6 on a good scholly. Biglaw isn't even out of the picture yet (if that's what you're into), although it is probably an uphill battle from here. Unlike all of the other "Should I drop out?" threads from people at TTTs or people who don't really want to be a lawyer, you're still in a pretty decent position, and one bad semester shouldn't keep you from being a lawyer, if that's what you want to do. Talk to your profs and figure out how you can improve next semester.

+1

If you're at CCN with a good scholly, at least give yourself an entire year.

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 am

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling a lot better today, and while I'm not sure on the specifics of my screw ups, I think I have a better handle on what I did wrong in general w/school. I'm going to give this semester my all and see how it goes. I really appreciate all of your advice, and it's helped bring me out of low-grade panic mode.

Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am

bass08

Postby bass08 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:04 am

Haha, that website is pretty funny.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”