Yes, another "should I drop out thread"...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Anon135

Yes, another "should I drop out thread"...

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 pm

So, got some grades back. Looks like it'll be straight B-'s for everything. At CCN w/a good scholly. Drop out?

I clearly did not "study smart". The major problem = not knowing what the problem was. I had a feeling I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure out what. Still don't really know.

Could use some advice.

lawschooliseasy

Re: Yes, another "should I drop out thread"...

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Smells a bit like flame. What does your school curve to? Credited response will almost invariably be not to drop out given your school's rank and the scholarship. CCN send people into biglaw at and below median. Did you lose the scholarship due to the grades?

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Did you read any of the how to do well in law school Advice?

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Smells a bit like flame. What does your school curve to? Credited response will almost invariably be not to drop out given your school's rank and the scholarship. CCN send people into biglaw at and below median. Did you lose the scholarship due to the grades?

I'm definitely not a flame, just outed under another name. Not sure about the curve, have an inkling that it's B though. Did not lose the scholarship, no minimum gpa, thank god.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Smells a bit like flame. What does your school curve to? Credited response will almost invariably be not to drop out given your school's rank and the scholarship. CCN send people into biglaw at and below median. Did you lose the scholarship due to the grades?

CCN scholarships are not conditional on grades - none of the three is a TTT by George! Bottom 1/3 is still fucked. I assume your CCN curves to a 3.2 or a 3.3. A 2.7 puts you pretty much at the bottom of the class. You need to get top 40% or so next semester to get biglaw. Think you can do that?

Also, what do you think you did wrong (curious about whether I have any B-s on the way)?

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

policestate1234 wrote:Did you read any of the how to do well in law school Advice?

Skimmed it, so I didn't really "absorb" any of the stuff. Failed to put the vast majority into practice as well, which makes me feel like an even bigger screwup.

I feel like basically trying to do the spring semester "right", but worry the I'll still mess up the follow through w/my lack of understanding.

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Anon135 wrote:
policestate1234 wrote:Did you read any of the how to do well in law school Advice?

Skimmed it, so I didn't really "absorb" any of the stuff. Failed to put the vast majority into practice as well, which makes me feel like an even bigger screwup.

I feel like basically trying to do the spring semester "right", but worry the I'll still mess up the follow through w/my lack of understanding.

Describe how you studied.

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Veyron wrote: Bottom 1/3 is still fucked. I assume your CCN curves to a 3.2 or a 3.3. A 2.7 puts you pretty much at the bottom of the class. You need to get top 40% or so next semester to get biglaw. Think you can do that?

Also, what do you think you did wrong (curious about whether I have any B-s on the way)?

The bold is what I'm worried about. This semester has messed up my confidence, no doubt, especially b/c I'm really no sure what I was supposed to be getting from the material. It seemed straightforward in class, which is why I kept dismissing the "I'm missing something big here" thoughts that kept running through my head. I didn't even feel like I could ask professors for clarification, b/c I wasn't sure what the hell I needed clarification on.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Anon135 wrote:
Veyron wrote: Bottom 1/3 is still fucked. I assume your CCN curves to a 3.2 or a 3.3. A 2.7 puts you pretty much at the bottom of the class. You need to get top 40% or so next semester to get biglaw. Think you can do that?

The bold is what I'm worried about. This semester has messed up my confidence, no doubt, especially b/c I'm really no sure what I was supposed to be getting from the material. It seemed straightforward in class, which is why I kept dismissing the "I'm missing something big here" thoughts that kept running through my head. I didn't even feel like I could ask professors for clarification, b/c I wasn't sure what the hell I needed clarification on.

wait, so how did you feel about your exams themselves? did you start taking them and go...oh shit. or was it like, this is easysauce?

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

policestate1234 wrote:Describe how you studied.

Outlined using notes created by the professors, attended a few study groups (generally felt a bit lost in them though), went to TA sessions and did a couple of practice test questions. That said, I piled on the studying later instead of tackling a bit of it after each class/topic section. Again though, this is mostly b/c I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I think the lack of feedback might have been partially what f'ed me up.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Anon135 wrote:Outlined using notes created by the professors, attended a few study groups (generally felt a bit lost in them though), went to TA sessions and did a couple of practice test questions. That said, I piled on the studying later instead of tackling a bit of it after each class/topic section. Again though, this is mostly b/c I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I think the lack of feedback might have been partially what f'ed me up.

bolded shoulda made you worry a bit, but that being said, how did the EXAMS themselves make you feel? did you feel like they were easy? or super hard?

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: wait, so how did you feel about your exams themselves? did you start taking them and go...oh shit. or was it like, this is easysauce?

I felt pretty weird, something in the middle. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure. It's messed up funny too, b/c I was always good at knowing when I didn't know something specific, and getting help in the area. This time, I couldn't figure out what it was I didn't know.
Last edited by Anon135 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Anon135 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: wait, so how did you feel about your exams themselves? did you start taking them and go...oh shit. or was it like, this is easysauce?

I felt pretty weird. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure.

Man, im sorry to hear it. I kinda know what you mean, because you've set off a cold chill inside of me as I wait for my grades...lol. felt good about them, but who knows for first semester right?!

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Talk to your professors. Figure out where you went wrong. Amend study habits accordingly.

Also: as hard as it might be to keep believing in yourself, it's really essential that you do it.
Last edited by tamlyric on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:Man, im sorry to hear it. I kinda know what you mean, because you've set off a cold chill inside of me as I wait for my grades...lol. felt good about them, but who knows for first semester right?!

Tell me about it. I figured I'd be medium, and was ok with that. But this far below is making me want to /self. Wish I never knew my damn grades.

Meanwhile, I really want to figure out what the hell my problem is, so I can fix it. I really want to be a lawyer, but one more semester of shit grades like this, and I figure I won't get hired for anything, which kills the point of this whole experience.
Last edited by Anon135 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Anon135 wrote:

I felt pretty weird, something in the middle. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure. It's messed up funny too, b/c I was always good at knowing when I didn't know something specific, and getting help in the area. This time, I couldn't figure out what it was I didn't know.

Go talk to your professors about exams. And next semester, when you take practice exams, go over them with the professor. Trust me, it is EXTREMELY helpful and will give you a good idea of what you missed.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Pretty sure that at NYU, straight B-s is probably bottom 5-10%. If your goal is to make big money as a lawyer, I think you should cut your losses now. Feel free to PM me if you have detailed questions.

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm

keg411 wrote:Go talk to your professors about exams. And next semester, when you take practice exams, go over them with the professor. Trust me, it is EXTREMELY helpful and will give you a good idea of what you missed.

Yeah, definitely going to see the professors. I just hope I understand what they tell me when they explain where I went wrong. And yeah, I HAVE to do practice tests early and more often. I'm thinking it was a lack of understanding may have been a consequence of not properly testing myself.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Veyron wrote:

CCN scholarships are not conditional on grades - none of the three is a TTT by George! Bottom 1/3 is still fucked. I assume your CCN curves to a 3.2 or a 3.3. A 2.7 puts you pretty much at the bottom of the class. You need to get top 40% or so next semester to get biglaw. Think you can do that?

I agree with all advice regarding work you should do to prepare for next semester. For better or worse though, I'm a bit more optimistic about job prospects for people at the bottom of CCN, particularly given the scholarship. The world isn't over if you don't get Biglaw or Art III, but you will need to consider your goals. There are not many people coming out of CCN that cannot find a decent paying job. Now what and where that job will be is another question.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Anon135 wrote:So, got some grades back. Looks like it'll be straight B-'s for everything. At CCN w/a good scholly. Drop out?

I clearly did not "study smart". The major problem = not knowing what the problem was. I had a feeling I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure out what. Still don't really know.

Could use some advice.

hey bro, if you drop out, what are u gonna do?

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Anon135 wrote:
keg411 wrote:Go talk to your professors about exams. And next semester, when you take practice exams, go over them with the professor. Trust me, it is EXTREMELY helpful and will give you a good idea of what you missed.

Yeah, definitely going to see the professors. I just hope I understand what they tell me when they explain where I went wrong. And yeah, I HAVE to do practice tests early and more often. I'm thinking it was a lack of understanding may have been a consequence of not properly testing myself.

bro, did u use E&Es? also, did you write in IRAC format for ur essay style exams?

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 pm

dood wrote:
bro, did u use E&Es? also, did you write in IRAC format for ur essay style exams?

No to both. And no clue what I'd do if I drop out. TTT undergrad =me worried.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Anon135 wrote:
dood wrote:

look man, if u'r for real - id say at a minimum do the E&Es alongside ur daily reading. and when u practice exams, write out IRAC answers. as far as dropping out - well, i think u kinda hit it on the head - figure out ur exit strategy if u r serious about leaving law school. good luck bro.

Anon135

Postby Anon135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

dood wrote:
Anon135 wrote:
dood wrote:

look man, if u'r for real - id say at a minimum do the E&Es alongside ur daily reading. and when u practice exams, write out IRAC answers. as far as dropping out - well, i think u kinda hit it on the head - figure out ur exit strategy if u r serious about leaving law school. good luck bro.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Lack of testing definitely did not help me.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anon135 wrote:

I felt pretty weird. There was definitely a "oh crap" moment at the beginning of any test, but then I'd look at the question and think I could see the issues we were supposed to address. That said, I always had the feeling I was missing issues, potentially big ones, but I couldn't figure out what they might be.

In other words, for the issues I saw, I thought I explained them pretty well. That said, I could have been wrong about the issues. Or heck, I could've been wrong with my explanations. I feel like such a bad judge of my capabilities right now, I'm not sure.

Man, im sorry to hear it. I kinda know what you mean, because you've set off a cold chill inside of me as I wait for my grades...lol. felt good about them, but who knows for first semester right?!

No shit. Now I'm even MOAR terrified.

P.S. Shut yo' mouth pineapple - HYS has a shot at biglaw from anywhere in the class. What, are you worried about your V5 prospects or something?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”