. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Egg

New

Post by Egg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Last edited by Egg on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: No reported median! ... How did I do?

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Egg wrote:Help please! ... My school - BU Law - gives only limited info about grade distribution, so I don't know anything useful like quartiles or the median.

I see on another thread that the curve for BU was reported to be B/B-, but in the info thread on BU and on the school's website, they report this:

A+ 0 to 5% of the class
A+, A, A- 20 to 30% (A+ subject to 5% limitation)
B+ and above 40 to 60% (subject to limitations on A range above)
B 10 to 50% (subject to limitations above and below)
B- and below 10 to 30 % (subject to limitations on ranges C+ and below)
C+ and below 0 to 10%
D, F 0 to 5%

There are three ranges: 1) "B+ and above" "B on the nose" and "B- and below." So everything seems to gravitate around the B grade. I went to the CDO and to the registrar and all they were allowed to give me was that past years had historically set the top 10% at about 3.7 and the top third at about 3.45 (I looked at a folder with the past 7 years). To my frustration, these were the only reference numbers the school releases. :evil:

A B+ median would be a 3.33 and a B would be a 3.0. Obviously, I hope it is closer to a 3.0, but how can I tell if the school won't offer anything more than this? Without the average or information about normality of the curve, I don't know how to decipher this beyond "most people get b-range grades," but that isn't helpful at all. Does anyone else know how to pull this apart better?
HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

This too (citation from wiki):

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... 02&yr=2010
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:15 pm

According to that, it seems to have the highest curve of any LS.

Egg

New

Post by Egg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

I looked at that, but the source is whack! If you follow the link, it doesn't say anything about the median. Also, wikipedia reports a median of 3.44, which is actually almost the historic top-third cutoff. In fact, I just changed it so that it now reads 3.04 to highlight the uselessness of the Wiki entry :roll:
Last edited by Egg on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Egg wrote:
I looked at that, but the source is whack! If you follow the link, it doesn't say anything about the median. Also, wikipedia reports a median of 3.44, which is actually the historic top-third cutoff. Useless Wiki entry :roll:
Haha well I tried. A for effort (<--well above curve).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Egg

New

Re: Need help: No reported median! ... How to gauge grades?

Post by Egg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 pm

I just figured it out. It doesn't matter! It is what it is. There is no way to tell and I have to write a fucking memo or else my grades will drop this semester. No matter how you slice it, I am probably near the median and, if no one in my class can find out the what the cut off is, employers won't know either. Fuck it!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: .

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 pm

You're welcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”