WHAT.THE.HELL

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: WHAT.THE.HELL

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:Talk to your teacher.

This.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Talk to your teacher.

This.

yeah, I am. I have a feeling about what I'll be told.

I think I feel marginally better now...I just have to make sure Im at a solid A this semester.

the reason this sucks the most is that at the end of this yr, legal writing will be worth 4 credits--the same as torts. the torts that I screwed up royally. was hoping to counteract. no such luck. oh well, Ive got 16 credits worth of potential A to add onto that transcript. i can either whine about last semester or start preparing to kill this one. </done whining>

wesker

Postby wesker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm sure legal writing is important, and that I earned my B in it. But damn, the class just doesn't instruct.

Every time I talk to my prof I get different advice.

Fuck LWR

this is what makes LWR so frustrating! my prof "loved" my memo draft and then hated everything she loved the first time around...?

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm

That's tough goosey, but you're capable of turning it around. This can motivate you or discourage you and from reading your posts this entire semester I think we all know how you will respond. (motivated!)
I have a question though: where did u get your info that a 3.35 is top 25%? I'm not questioning you I'm just wondering if that is a guess or fact.

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm

----------------------B-------------------------------------------B+-------------------------------------------A-

||......................................||...................(median)...........(you)..||.........................................||

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm

goosey, I also think you need to take a step back during the semester. You are overworking yourself and stressing out about every little thing. Sometimes you have to look at reading on a daily basis sometimes as "better done than perfect" rather than have to know every thing about every class right away. I just think you are sometimes defeating yourself.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:04 pm

christmas mouse wrote:That's tough goosey, but you're capable of turning it around. This can motivate you or discourage you and from reading your posts this entire semester I think we all know how you will respond. (motivated!)
I have a question though: where did u get your info that a 3.35 is top 25%? I'm not questioning you I'm just wondering if that is a guess or fact.

from nalp...its based on class of 2009, so obviously I dont mean it as a set in stone kind of thing, but 3.45 is top 25%...I think I may have mixed that up [I just double checked]

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 pm

keg411 wrote:goosey, I also think you need to take a step back during the semester. You are overworking yourself and stressing out about every little thing. Sometimes you have to look at reading on a daily basis sometimes as "better done than perfect" rather than have to know every thing about every class right away. I just think you are sometimes defeating yourself.

you're right..just going to focus and do my best.

Its easy to get sucked into biglaw or bust...and when I started on this path I didnt want biglaw. And I guess even if I'm not top 15% and dont ever get a biglaw job, as long as I keep this scholarship and get a jd for free, I am good to go. This was more a personal accomplishment thing because of the situation I was coming out of. Shouldnt be crying about a B+ in a 2 credit course.

thanks guys, for the perspective

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 pm

in my 4 BLL courses, I graded top 10-15% of the class

I got below median on my LRAW memo

it's honestly a joke to curve LRAW courses, every professor/attorney/judge has a different opinion of what's good, what works, what's helpful, etc...

it took me about a half bottle of whiskey to get over it, you're not alone

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 pm

uwb09 wrote:in my 4 BLL courses, I graded top 10-15% of the class

it's honestly a joke to curve LRAW courses, every professor/attorney/judge has a different opinion of what's good, what works, what's helpful, etc...

Exactly this. (Except replace whiskey with Tequila or Hennessey)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Man, I must be the only person on these forums that likes rum above all.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 pm

at my school, which also has a 2 credit graded LRW, i feel like the vast vast majority of people (70-80%) got B+s, right on the curve.

knowing that, and given the fact that it's a class that's pretty subjective really--and a class wherein you are going to get all kinds of cryptic "advice" from TAs and the teacher and not really know what the fuck you are doing no matter how much you are working--and that it is only 2 credits, you should probably just focus on your other classes.

I did almost nothing for my LRW, literally wrote the papers the night before they were due, edited them the night before they were due--got a b+. if i had done a lot more work, guess what? Probably a b+. And EVEN if i could have worked my way to an A-, it's not worth it, bc that time spent working on LR is time not spent doing something for a class more important than LR.

just my 0.02.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm

goosey wrote:
nealric wrote:Meh. I got a B- second semester in legal writing after getting all A/A- grades in substantive subjects. LRW is a stupid class.

not for me though..I worked REALLY hard in that class because I felt like I had some level of control over how I did. It was my INSURANCE POLICY...and I needed it bc I messed up torts

Im overall median :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am a HUGE fail. I am so disappointed...I feel like studying is useless now..Im going to be median anyway

You're not a fail if you're at median. It sounds like you have the ability to get As in some classes, so you have to be pretty close to being on the right track. Just get some good feedback about your performance, and adjust. No matter what the attitude is on here, it's never too late to turn things around.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Man, I must be the only person on these forums that likes rum above all.

Captain Morgan Black Cask is some goooooooooooood stuff. Incredibly mixable and incredibly tasty.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 pm

goosey wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:That's tough goosey, but you're capable of turning it around. This can motivate you or discourage you and from reading your posts this entire semester I think we all know how you will respond. (motivated!)

from nalp...its based on class of 2009, so obviously I dont mean it as a set in stone kind of thing, but 3.45 is top 25%...I think I may have mixed that up [I just double checked]

Don't most schools have a tighter curve for 1L's? If that's the case at your school, then the NALP percentages are going to be on the low side when predicting 1L class rank.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
goosey wrote:

Don't most schools have a tighter curve for 1L's? If that's the case at your school, then the NALP percentages are going to be on the low side when predicting 1L class rank.

our school uses the same curve for all years, except for upper level classes with fewer than 25 students, where the curve does not apply. also, for upper level courses with over 26 students the professor has the leeway to expound the distribution by 6% at every tier, so if on the standard curve 20% get A's the professor can do anywhere from only 14% all the way to 26% getting A's. Im sure these differences may account for some ease in the curve, but would it make such a huge difference, do you think? I mean I know the difference between top 33 and top 25 is .1 or something, but I am not sure if some wiggle room in seminar classes would really inflate upperclass gpa's a great deal. thoughts?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

goosey wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
goosey wrote:

our school uses the same curve for all years, except for upper level classes with fewer than 25 students, where the curve does not apply. also, for upper level courses with over 26 students the professor has the leeway to expound the distribution by 6% at every tier, so if on the standard curve 20% get A's the professor can do anywhere from only 14% all the way to 26% getting A's. Im sure these differences may account for some ease in the curve, but would it make such a huge difference, do you think? I mean I know the difference between top 33 and top 25 is .1 or something, but I am not sure if some wiggle room in seminar classes would really inflate upperclass gpa's a great deal. thoughts?

All i know is that the median at UT is a B+ and in a UT thread a poster made an educated guess that 50%ile for 1L's was 3.37, based off of the class of 2010's 1L grades, and NALP shows the 50%ile for the graduating class of 2009 to be 3.43. Maybe I'm just hoping the NALP numbers for graduating classes are inflated b/c of seminars for 2Ls and 3Ls though.

Thoughts from 2Ls/3Ls?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:All i know is that the median at UT is a B+ and in a UT thread a poster made an educated guess that 50%ile for 1L's was 3.37, based off of the class of 2010's 1L grades, and NALP shows the 50%ile for the graduating class of 2009 to be 3.43. Maybe I'm just hoping the NALP numbers for graduating classes are inflated b/c of seminars for 2Ls and 3Ls though.

Thoughts from 2Ls/3Ls?

1L opinion here, but since this is the first year that 1Ls are discouraged from taking electives (i.e., gpa-boosting seminars), it's likely that the 1L median will conform more to the standard 3.3.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”