WHAT.THE.HELL

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

WHAT.THE.HELL

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

i am SO PISSED!!!!!!!!

I just got my legal writing grade--every score I received this semester was above median..the last one, worth 50% of our grade, was about 30 points above median...I got my grade today: B+..MEDIAN!!

what the hell happened here?!?!?!?!?!?!?

nealric

Re: WHAT.THE.HELL

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Meh. I got a B- second semester in legal writing after getting all A/A- grades in substantive subjects. LRW is a stupid class.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm

nealric wrote:Meh. I got a B- second semester in legal writing after getting all A/A- grades in substantive subjects. LRW is a stupid class.

not for me though..I worked REALLY hard in that class because I felt like I had some level of control over how I did. It was my INSURANCE POLICY...and I needed it bc I messed up torts

Im overall median :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am a HUGE fail. I am so disappointed...I feel like studying is useless now..Im going to be median anyway

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm

goosey wrote:what the hell happened here?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You went to a law school with graded LRW, it seems.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Talk to your teacher.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:

ahahahaha. i lol'd.

Seriously goosey, LRW is usually worth less credits that your other classes, it shouldn't hurt you that much. Also, talk to your prof for sure.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:53 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

ahahahaha. i lol'd.

Seriously goosey, LRW is usually worth less credits that your other classes, it shouldn't hurt you that much. Also, talk to your prof for sure.

it hurt me because my gpa is now a 3.26...and A would have made it 3.35 which is top 25%, and A- would have made it 3.31, which is top 33% aka enough to keep my scholarship. Now I am sitting not-so-pretty between top 50 and top 40.

I am meeting with my professor this week. Meeting wont change the grade though, it will just tell me why the curve is evil and that I shouldnt be disappointed. I seriously feel like dropping out.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm

goosey wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

ahahahaha. i lol'd.

it hurt me because my gpa is now a 3.26...and A would have made it 3.35 which is top 25%, and A- would have made it 3.31, which is top 33% aka enough to keep my scholarship. Now I am sitting not-so-pretty between top 50 and top 40.

I am meeting with my professor this week. Meeting wont change the grade though, it will just tell mewhy the curve is evil and that I shouldnt be disappointedwhat i did wrong and how I can not do that again. I seriously feel like dropping out.

Let the hate flow through you. Use it to crush LRW next semester.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm

goosey wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

ahahahaha. i lol'd.

I am meeting with my professor this week. Meeting wont change the grade though, it will just tell me why the curve is evil and that I shouldnt be disappointed. I seriously feel like dropping out.

Reassess things after next semester's grades. Plenty of people have done very well at 1L despite mediocre first semester grades. Meeting will at least give you some sense of what you did wrong. Good luck.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

I guess I just need to re-focus and try to kill this semester. I thought I was doing that last semester :(

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm

goosey wrote:I guess I just need to re-focus and try to kill this semester. I thought I was doing that last semester :(

Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but I remember that in a number of your posts people suggested that your "outwork" method of approaching law school may not have the results you hope for. I only say this because it seems like your approach is going to be to do more of what didn't really work this time around. There is something to the work smarter, not harder approach.

I would go over each one of your exams now that you've had some space and re-read them. See what you might do different. Then go talk to each professor and have them go over your exam with you. Listen to what they were looking for. Think back over the semester and see if there were clues that you missed that would have helped you to have studied more efficiently.

Reading more and working more isn't likely to do it. Having read your posts, it sounds like you need to learn to filter material better -- learn how to read a case quickly and sum it up into the two or three points that are most essential.

Good luck.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 pm

goosey wrote:
nealric wrote:Meh. I got a B- second semester in legal writing after getting all A/A- grades in substantive subjects. LRW is a stupid class.

not for me though..I worked REALLY hard in that class because I felt like I had some level of control over how I did. It was my INSURANCE POLICY...and I needed it bc I messed up torts

Im overall median :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am a HUGE fail. I am so disappointed...I feel like studying is useless now..Im going to be median anyway

Median with zero debt isn't a bad place to be.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:
goosey wrote:I guess I just need to re-focus and try to kill this semester. I thought I was doing that last semester :(

Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but I remember that in a number of your posts people suggested that your "outwork" method of approaching law school may not have the results you hope for. I only say this because it seems like your approach is going to be to do more of what didn't really work this time around. There is something to the work smarter, not harder approach.

I would go over each one of your exams now that you've had some space and re-read them. See what you might do different. Then go talk to each professor and have them go over your exam with you. Listen to what they were looking for. Think back over the semester and see if there were clues that you missed that would have helped you to have studied more efficiently.

Reading more and working more isn't likely to do it. Having read your posts, it sounds like you need to learn to filter material better -- learn how to read a case quickly and sum it up into the two or three points that are most essential.

Good luck.

I totally get what youre saying about working smarter and not harder, but I pretty much know what I did wrong in every class other than legal writing and civ pro--which I got an A- in and I worked hard for it. LWR confuses me because every grade I got all semester was above median..the last, weighted 50% was WAY above median and the second highest score in the section. the registrar blocked this professors grades bc supposedly she gave too many good grades. the professor and registrar battled it out and in the end reached a compromise--I am not sure what the compromise was but Im sure shell tell me when I meet to talk with her. one thing that comes to mind is that she agreed to give less A's if they allow her to give more B's, etc..this way the mean still falls between 3.1-3.2 as its supposed to. whats frustrating is that I could have worked less hard and gotten the same grade...my transcript wont say "2nd highest score"--it will have the same grade that the 20th highest score got. and that sucks.

I would agree with you except that the one class I worked REALLY hard in is the one I got the A-. Not to say I didnt waste crazy amounts of time on unnecessary things--I did. And I will def cut those out, but Ill just add in what I should have done more of

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Wait, one grade at median and the rest above?

Drop out now. It's obvious you aren't cut out for law school.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 pm

When you say you did 20 points above median, do you mean you did 20 points above the actually classes median or did you do 20 points above what the median should be?

It sounds like your prof might have been giving too many A's, and that your 20 points above median wasn't really.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:When you say you did 20 points above median, do you mean you did 20 points above the actually classes median or did you do 20 points above what the median should be?

It sounds like your prof might have been giving too many A's, and that your 20 points above median wasn't really.

she didnt give any letter grades all semester.

our assignments were given point values..at the end of the semester, she added all the points up and then distributed them on the curve. so its at the end of the semester, when distributing the grades on the curve that she gave grades that didnt fall between the 3.1-3.2 mean.

when I say 20 points above median I mean the actual scores that were given.

so if median was 425-430, I got a 455. The highest score was 460.

I just want to meet with her and find out what the hell happened.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Yea meet with her. Try not to be accusatory, especially if you have her again. Is any part of your grade participation or anything.

Or the professor gave nearly everyone B+'s.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea meet with her. Try not to be accusatory, especially if you have her again. Is any part of your grade participation or anything.

Or the professor gave nearly everyone B+'s.

i have her this semesteer and I know its not her fault at ALL. I think its the registrar and that she was just trying to do what would help us out the most...so maybe that meant giving more people B+'s at the expense of giving one or two less A's

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:

haha.

Anyways, LWR can be weird. I set the curve on one graded assignment, but finished the class with an A-, so I'm still waiting to see what happened on the final assignment. In any case, it's not a GPA course, so meh.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:18 pm

missinglink wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

haha.

Anyways, LWR can be weird. I set the curve on one graded assignment, but finished the class with an A-, so I'm still waiting to see what happened on the final assignment. In any case, it's not a GPA course, so meh.

me too, only my grade was worse :?

I guess everyone's 3rd memo was awesome... though I didn't work too much on it, I put in a good showing

le sigh

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm

nealric wrote:LRW is a stupid class.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm sure legal writing is important, and that I earned my B in it. But damn, the class just doesn't instruct.

Every time I talk to my prof I get different advice.

Fuck LWR

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm

LWR is rough mostly because, at least in my class, we get very little instruction and you're just supposed to "go with it" based on the instructions of the assignment. Another section has a prof who gives too much instruction and its all inconsistent so he makes you change your paper every time you meet with him. Although I did fairly well on the closed research memo and felt pretty good on the ORM (grade not back yet) I have a sickening feeling that when I have to do this stuff over the summer for some employer I am just gonna completely blank on how to do it cause we essentially taught ourselves.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:43 pm

LRW can choke on a dick and die.

seriousstudenttt

Postby seriousstudenttt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:47 pm

how many credits was that? usually you're better off focusing on the core subjects rather than wasting precious study time trying to perfect a memo.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”