Study Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ReesesPieces15

Study Group

Postby ReesesPieces15 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 am

Last semester I worked with a study group but it was not very efficient. Obviously towards the end of the semester it is best to use the study group to go over practice exams, but I was wondering what other people did with their study groups they found helpful.

Geist13

Re: Study Group

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 am

ditched them. Met one on one with a like minded person a couple of times, that's it.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 am

I didn't team up with one until the end and only did so to work on practice tests. Study groups are an inefficient waste of time. If you have time for a study group you have time for a solid supplement that will actually aid in rounding out your understanding of the law - which I presume is the professed goal of your study group. A study group will actually only aid in finding awesome youtube videos.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 am

Just met to do practice problems and then discuss them. This took while, but we never actually "studied" as a group. The more appropriate term for law school study groups should be "practice test group". Having a group of 4-5 students with similar drive leads to good discussion of the PT's imo, and helped me considerably when it came to counter-arguments on the actual exam.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 am

beach_terror wrote:Just met to do practice problems and then discuss them. This took while, but we never actually "studied" as a group. The more appropriate term for law school study groups should be "practice test group". Having a group of 4-5 students with similar drive leads to good discussion of the PT's imo, and helped me considerably when it came to counter-arguments on the actual exam.

This was what my group did. There are 4 of us; we culled outlines and exams from all of our sources, shared them, did practice problems then got together to discuss our answers. Before exams, we met to share our outlines. I thought it was very useful - but there were a couple of nights where I knew I'd get more out of studying on my own and just did so; no one minded.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

I liked my group. I originally wasn't going to work with anyone, but I found I got more out of it then expected (especially for exams). Going over PT's with other people is great, but the other thing I really liked was everyone having to "teach" topics to other members of the group (and we had to pick our weakest topic). Really helped reinforce some principles.

Anyway, I came into LS anti-study group and after first semester I am pro-study group. So take the FWIW.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 pm

I came into law school knowing I study best alone. I can work well with people in a work environment where everyone is professional; however, in a school environment it is very easy for me to get distracted and talk about Football or whatever else the group decides to discuss.

I did talk to a few of my classmates about various practice problems (basically just spotting issues), and I ran some questions by the same classmates when I had them. It worked out very well for me.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Don't like study groups. I met with people about 3 times total last semester, and it was only to go over hypos/practice exams which didn't have professor supplied answers.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”