My Two Cents About Law School Success...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: My Two Cents About Law School Success...

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:50 pm

random5483 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I had a class for my major back in undergrad where we had to learn Microsoft Office applications (it was called "Computer Information Systems"). Ended up being extremely helpful for my job (especially Excel).

I had a similar class I had to take, but I found it less useful. They taught the basics which I already knew (intermediate/advanced user for most office apps).

With regard to typing speed, I type at about 80 wpm on a regular keyboard and between 60-70 wpm on a laptop keyboard. I really wish I typed faster. I type incredibly fast for using 2 fingers 90% of the time. I occasionally use up to four. I am tempted to take a typing class, but I doubt it would be useful now since I type closer to 30 wpm when I try to use more fingers.

For any 0Ls out there, work on your typing speed. Typing > any substantive studying.

Would you be able to think fast enough to require a sustained typing of 60wpm? If that was the case... you'd be able to bang out a short book within 4 hours.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 am

ResolutePear wrote:Would you be able to think fast enough to require a sustained typing of 60wpm? If that was the case... you'd be able to bang out a short book within 4 hours.

There is a difference between being able to type as fast as you are thinking and typing nonstop (which also means thinking only thoughts you want to put down on paper). If I have a thought I need to type out on the exam I generally know what that thought is fairly quickly and have to wait on my fingers to do the action. Then I move on to figuring out what the next thing I want to say is. I type about 80-90wpm and still think faster than I type.

That does not mean I'm typing nonstop during an exam. I'm still taking a lot of pauses to read the question over and over and figure out what I want to say. But once I figured it out, I'm just waiting for my fingers to do the work.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 am

ResolutePear wrote:
random5483 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I had a class for my major back in undergrad where we had to learn Microsoft Office applications (it was called "Computer Information Systems"). Ended up being extremely helpful for my job (especially Excel).

I had a similar class I had to take, but I found it less useful. They taught the basics which I already knew (intermediate/advanced user for most office apps).

With regard to typing speed, I type at about 80 wpm on a regular keyboard and between 60-70 wpm on a laptop keyboard. I really wish I typed faster. I type incredibly fast for using 2 fingers 90% of the time. I occasionally use up to four. I am tempted to take a typing class, but I doubt it would be useful now since I type closer to 30 wpm when I try to use more fingers.

For any 0Ls out there, work on your typing speed. Typing > any substantive studying.

Would you be able to think fast enough to require a sustained typing of 60wpm? If that was the case... you'd be able to bang out a short book within 4 hours.

A lot of writing a law school exam is spouting out important facts from the fact pattern and applying them to legal precedent. I am not sure how often I am typing sustained at my maximum speed, but I am certain that if I typed faster I could write more. People on here regularly break 10k words on 4 hour exams. While this isn't necessary or sufficient to getting a good grade, I think the general consensus is that if you write more (and you're not making up facts or rambling) that you're more likely to get a good grade.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I am in the minority, but I don't think typing speed is nearly as important as people make it out to be. I am a pretty slow typer, I only use two fingers, and it has never hurt me. During my first couple of years of law school, I always made it a point to meet with professors to go over exams. Without exception, I missed points because I missed an issue. It was never the case that I did no expound on an issue enough. I missed these issues because I wasn't that bright, not because I ran out of time.
The advice that I overwhelmingly agree with is to take practice tests though. Particularly in the first and second semester. There is no other way to learn. In my opinion, this is where a disciplined study group can be particularly helpful. If there is no model answer, you can at least compare your answer to the group. Otherwise, I don't see much purpose in study groups either.
Finally, if you can get a hold of a prior outline for the course, and use it during the class, this is absolutely awesome. By far the best thing about Law Review is the access to the outline bank!

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:57 pm

tagged

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote: By far the best thing about Law Review is the access to the outline bank!

So credited.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”