LS classes pass fail

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pasteurizedmilk

LS classes pass fail

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Does this look bad on a transcript, or do employers not really care?

TYIA

sethc

Re: LS classes pass fail

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:24 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Does this look bad on a transcript, or do employers not really care?

TYIA

What sort of class was/is it? I know my intro-to-law class during 1L was pass/fail and I think across the board most law schools have some kind of equivalent. Mine didn't count for any credits or anything, but I passed. I think most employers know about this and usually aren't concerned. But, if it was anything beyond that (i.e. a regular law class with credits) then I have no clue, but I'd be interested in finding out.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 pm

It's a regular class.

sethc

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:It's a regular class.

Oh ok, mind if I ask what class? I can't speak much on the subject since I haven't had one of those, but how does a P/F compute into your school/semester's GPA?

KidA23

Postby KidA23 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:54 pm

sethc wrote:

Oh ok, mind if I ask what class? I can't speak much on the subject since I haven't had one of those, but how does a P/F compute into your school/semester's GPA?

It doesn't.

sethc

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 pm

KidA23 wrote:
sethc wrote:

It doesn't.

Oh ok, well then if you want my opinion then I'd say to just not sweat it. If the class sounds impressive & you passed, then I'd make some small mention of it.. otherwise fuck it.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I've sort of been wondering this same question with Retroactive pass/fail. Since most employers familiar with the school will know that the P was substituted likely for a not very strong grade.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm

I had an interview with a very prominent firm and the interviewer asked me why there were so many P's on my transcript. I explained to her that each class was mandatory P/F, and she seemed satisfied enough even though I didn't answer why I took those classes (some were mandatory courses, others not really by choice like journal, and others were optional classes with mandatory P/F).
Last edited by jenesaislaw on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I had an interview with a very prominent firm and the interviewer asked me why there were so many P's on my transcript. I explained to her that I had no choice in any of the classes, and she seemed satisfied enough even though I didn't answer why I took those classes (some were not by choice, others not really by choice like journal, while others were optional classes with mandatory P/F).

large firms probably care (a little bit), but smaller firms probably do not

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 am

Don't sweat it if it is just one class you are pass/failing. Just don't elect pass/fail on a ton of your classes where you wind up with a plethora of "P"s on your transcript. Also, don't pass/fail a lot of harder doctrinal courses and take a bunch of seminars graded. Employers will notice those types of things (particularly judges for clerkship hiring).

kings84_wr- retroactive pass/fail is a little tougher to justify because, like you mentioned, employers will know that you elected pass/fail because you got a shitty grade in the class. (Usually schools publicize their policies in their handbooks or on their websites, which sucks.) I guess it's better than having something like a "C" on your transcript and bringing your GPA down, but, personally, I'd avoid it unless it's a really bad grade (like a C).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”