Please help me decide whether to drop out...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am

Helmholtz wrote:I think virtually the only reason to stay in law school now would be some burning desire to be a lawyer, regardless of the hardships. Drop out. Cut your losses while they're still relatively small.


megadeth317 wrote: I don't have a burning desire to be a lawyer.


Drop out. You can always go back later. Take some time, figure out if this is what you really want to do: you will spend an inordinate amount of your adult life, at work. If at all possible, make work something you really enjoy.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby iagolives » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I might have missed it, but can you afford to drop out, OP? If you took out a lot of loans to go, you may not be able to afford to, as those loans come due pretty quick after you leave and, if you don't have a job, you are up a creek. What I would do if you can afford to leave is to stay in at least until the end of the year and try your hardest to find a job you can start as soon as you leave. Good luck with your decision.

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

iagolives wrote:I might have missed it, but can you afford to drop out, OP? If you took out a lot of loans to go, you may not be able to afford to, as those loans come due pretty quick after you leave and, if you don't have a job, you are up a creek. What I would do if you can afford to leave is to stay in at least until the end of the year and try your hardest to find a job you can start as soon as you leave. Good luck with your decision.


Yea I dont have anything lined up at the moment. I'm really starting to hope that the C+ was due to incorrect study habits (hopefully) and am leaning towards sticking it out until the summer and really try to change things around.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Macunaíma wrote:
sethc wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
How do you like the idea of paying $1000/month for nondischageable debt service, on a 45k salary? Put that in your pipe and smoke it, while you mull over another two years of "personal satisfaction". It would cost you a lot less to drop out and move to Colombia for two years of cocaine orgies, and you'd probably regret it less.



No, I completely understand the stress of what it's going to be like to pay back a lot of debt. That sucks and there's no other way to slice it, so trust me I agree with you. I'm only saying that there's something to be said for personal motivation. If something in me (or OP) feels incomplete about not getting a JD, there's no reason that should not be addressed by the individual, in my opinion. It took me a long time (too long) to come to that conclusion and I wanted to pass it on because I think it's good advice. Sorry you disagree, brah.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Learn how to quote please. I really don't being misquoted, especially when its re: cocaine orgies.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm

megadeth317 wrote:I appreciate all the advice both to stay and to leave. Everyone's been really helpful and Sethc I really appreciate the time you put into replying (I'll send you a PM later) I guess its a confusing time (quarter-life crisis kind of thing) and I can't say with certainty what I want--whether its to be a lawyer or not or to have to degree or not etc. Honestly though, I have no real back up plan and no substantial prior work experience to fall back on. Staying motivated is tough though because the prospect of making biglaw money is essentially gone. Its not so much the money but the fact that I don't have a shot at being the best anymore type thing.

That said something in me has to just KNOW if I can do better. I know I didnt study smart, I studied hard but I didnt start outlining until after classes ended and to be honest if you consider exam preparation to mean doing practice tests, reviewing the material, and practicing learning/writing an exam then I really only studied for 1.5 days for civ pro. I'm surprised I even got a B+ in K. I don't know if it makes any sort of difference but I wasn't exactly "with it" first semester. I didn't like the city I was in, was going through the pretty rough last legs of a long term rship, and I'm sure I was burning out hard during reading period.

If I brief, outline on the weekends, and dedicate reading period solely to practice tests/supplements and not STARTING outlines I cant imagine how I couldn't do better. Hopefully it works out but we'll see.


No problem man, send one when you get time - I know we're both busy as shit lol. TLS can be a warzone when you ask some abstract question and expect advice, so that's not your fault. I just wish someone could have given me advice along the lines of what I gave you -- a long time ago. So, I felt compelled. I had/have the advantage of my M.S. that makes me financially comfortable, but don't think you're totally out of $-options if you quit law school man. You might not be making great money than if you had just graduated law school, but you seem like a smart cat, man. Just take a weekend-day and sit down, then think about what you'd do if you flunked out or something and were forced to look at other options. I know that I'd lean back on my MS most likely, but if not then I came up with a great idea to open (actually, re-open) a business for myself in my home state. It's all about being comfortable, man. Best of luck for sure! If nothing else, just know that you're in better shape than me right now, regardless!

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Learn how to quote please. I really don't being misquoted, especially when its re: cocaine orgies.



You got the point.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

sethc wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Learn how to quote please. I really don't being misquoted, especially when its re: cocaine orgies.



You got the point.

What do you mean I got the point? Go back and re-read the last page, dude. Your post attributes a quote to me that someone else said. I never said:

How do you like the idea of paying $1000/month for nondischageable debt service, on a 45k salary? Put that in your pipe and smoke it, while you mull over another two years of "personal satisfaction". It would cost you a lot less to drop out and move to Colombia for two years of cocaine orgies, and you'd probably regret it less.


...yet you attributed it to me anyways. So learn how to quote.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Who gives a shit? Both of you disagree with what I had to say to OP so you both can read it for all I care, dude. Not sure about you but misquoting on an online forum is among the least of my worries, at least in this context.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

sethc wrote:Who gives a shit? Both of you disagree with what I had to say to OP so you both can read it for all I care, dude. Not sure about you but misquoting on an online forum is among the least of my worries, at least in this context.

You're an asshole. Yes, I do care about misquoting and I take care not to do it because 1) it is a courtesy to others and 2) I don't want to associate myself or anyone else with something they didn't say. If you're going to be a productive member of the TLS community, show a little etiquette and don't be such a jerk, especially over something as trivial as people simply disagreeing with you.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby swc65 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 pm

megadeth317 wrote:
iagolives wrote:I might have missed it, but can you afford to drop out, OP? If you took out a lot of loans to go, you may not be able to afford to, as those loans come due pretty quick after you leave and, if you don't have a job, you are up a creek. What I would do if you can afford to leave is to stay in at least until the end of the year and try your hardest to find a job you can start as soon as you leave. Good luck with your decision.


Yea I dont have anything lined up at the moment. I'm really starting to hope that the C+ was due to incorrect study habits (hopefully) and am leaning towards sticking it out until the summer and really try to change things around.



Economic hardship deferrals FTW. I think you can get up to two years on Fed loans.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sethc wrote:Who gives a shit? Both of you disagree with what I had to say to OP so you both can read it for all I care, dude. Not sure about you but misquoting on an online forum is among the least of my worries, at least in this context.

You're an asshole. Yes, I do care about misquoting and I take care not to do it because 1) it is a courtesy to others and 2) I don't want to associate myself or anyone else with something they didn't say. If you're going to be a productive member of the TLS community, show a little etiquette and don't be such a jerk, especially over something as trivial as people simply disagreeing with you.



I've shown plenty of etiquette on this board, and if you've read a majority of my posts then you could discern that easily for yourself. In fact, I'd venture to say I show etiquette more than most on TLS but that's conjecture. My misquote was clearly a formatting mistake (and you know that) and you started being a prick about it, especially with that [nor do I ever] quip earlier. If you didn't mean thing one bit personal about me, then my bad - I'll take that one.

User avatar
Macunaíma
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Macunaíma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sethc wrote:Who gives a shit? Both of you disagree with what I had to say to OP so you both can read it for all I care, dude. Not sure about you but misquoting on an online forum is among the least of my worries, at least in this context.

You're an asshole. Yes, I do care about misquoting and I take care not to do it because 1) it is a courtesy to others and 2) I don't want to associate myself or anyone else with something they didn't say. If you're going to be a productive member of the TLS community, show a little etiquette and don't be such a jerk, especially over something as trivial as people simply disagreeing with you.


You are a fierce gunner! What do you have against coke orgies? Are you religious or something?

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Macunaíma wrote:You are a fierce gunner! What do you have against coke orgies? Are you religious or something?



Bahah, not sure if you meant that @ me or not but I lol'd. After 1 semester, I feel like I have the potential to be a true legendary gunner, even though I made it a point to avoid even looking like one during my first term. So, thanks for again reminding me that gunners ain't cool, but gunners gonna gun. Oh, and I've never participated in a coke-orgy, but watching one at least would rock.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:23 pm

--ImageRemoved--

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 pm

*slow clap* love it. simply brilliant. I want to print 500000 copies and plaster them on the walls at my school.

savagecheater
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby savagecheater » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 pm

sethc wrote:*slow clap* love it. simply brilliant. I want to print 500000 copies and plaster them on the walls at my school.


You go to a T4, completely misread the OP, and thus misinterpreted the OP's point. You then proceeded to give awful advice and get defensive when others called you out for giving generally terrible advice.

What credibility do you have?

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 pm

savagecheater wrote:
sethc wrote:*slow clap* love it. simply brilliant. I want to print 500000 copies and plaster them on the walls at my school.


You go to a T4, completely misread the OP, and thus misinterpreted the OP's point. You then proceeded to give awful advice and get defensive when others called you out for giving generally terrible advice.

What credibility do you have?



Generally terrible? Awful? Those are all a matter of opinion, I would posit. My credibility as absolutely zilch, negative even, if you go by TLS standards as your metric. But, the author thanked me for my advice & told me he was going to send me a PM, presumably to ask further questions - but don't worry, bro, if he thinks it sucks then I'll clarify what I mean. That's enough satisfaction for me, Captain Credibility.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

megadeth317 wrote:
iagolives wrote:I might have missed it, but can you afford to drop out, OP? If you took out a lot of loans to go, you may not be able to afford to, as those loans come due pretty quick after you leave and, if you don't have a job, you are up a creek. What I would do if you can afford to leave is to stay in at least until the end of the year and try your hardest to find a job you can start as soon as you leave. Good luck with your decision.


Yea I dont have anything lined up at the moment. I'm really starting to hope that the C+ was due to incorrect study habits (hopefully) and am leaning towards sticking it out until the summer and really try to change things around.


Don't drop out, unless you plan on trying to cram again.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 pm

[Went off topic]
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Oh, Hello.
Just a reminder that it would be SWELL if everyone stayed on-topic, here....
:D

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

haha, yeah totally agree. My bad @OP (and everyone else) I just get defensive over things personal to me, sometimes. I'll do my best to avoid doing that again. At any rate, I'm free if you have any questions OP.

User avatar
Macunaíma
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Macunaíma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Are you two gonna do it?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 pm

I'll do my part to help get this back on track.

rad law wrote:Don't want to be a lawyer? Drop out.

User avatar
Fancy Pants
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Oh, Hello.
Just a reminder that it would be SWELL if everyone stayed on-topic, here....
:D


No thanks.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests