Please help me decide whether to drop out...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Hey all, long time poster but I made a new username for privacy.

I'm a IL at a t25 school and just found out a bombed my first semester. I got a C+ in civpro and a B, B+, and A- in writing (2.96 total gpa). School curves to a b+.

Alright, so maybe I'm focusing on this too much now for obvious reasons but I don't have a burning desire to be a lawyer. I mean I was excited to come to law school (for what many people would say are stupid reasons--to get the degree/prestige, door opening, etc), but I wanted the degree more so than wanting to work a Biglaw, law firm job etc. I'm on 15K a year scholly with no stipulation. Civ pro was my first exam and I def didnt think I did well on it coming out of it, unfortunately I scored near the bottom of my class for it.

I don't have anything lined up if I drop out, I would try to get an internship/entry level at a record label or something and try to work my way up from there. Or be bartender in hawaii who knows. I want the law degree to eventually work at a label and do something with music (not nec legal issues, but I naively figured having the degree would help somewhat). To be fair it has in a way, I've learned a lot and the whole how to think etc has been sorta helpful. I dont know if its worth a hundred grand though.

The question is is that worth it now? If I change my mind and want to actually work in a law firm is that pretty much out? I dont go to school where I want to work (my school is fairly strong in the city I want though--nyc) but I don't know if I can bring up my grades enough to get back there. This would be a huge problem, not getting back to ny is pretty much unacceptable to me.

As far as studying goes, I didnt brief, didnt start outlining till reading periods and didn't get to do all my classes practice exams. I essentially spent 14 hours a day outlining for all of december and would finish my outline a day before teh exam and then do prac tests for a day or two. I know this sounds really stupid in retrospect lol. I did a hard science major and its the only way I've ever studied. I'm above my schools lsat range for what its worth (apparently nothing lol). I also didn't really go out that much this past semester. I spent too much time on LRW and going to bed too early.

So what to do?

ANY help advice is appreciated. Again I'm not a first timer trying to get quick advice so for what its worth I've been contributing to the forum for several years if that makes a difference to anyone.

Thanks again.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 am

Drop out.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 am

Don't want to be a lawyer? Drop out.

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks for the reply? Any reason? I'm guessing its the following....
megadeth317 wrote:Alright, so maybe I'm focusing on this too much now for obvious reasons but I don't have a burning desire to be a lawyer. I mean I was excited to come to law school (for what many people would say are stupid reasons--to get the degree/prestige, door opening, etc), but I wanted the degree more so than wanting to work a Biglaw, law firm job etc.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 am

I think virtually the only reason to stay in law school now would be some burning desire to be a lawyer, regardless of the hardships. Drop out. Cut your losses while they're still relatively small.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 am

I know many TLSers will disagree with me. However, I think that if you have a burning passion for the law you should stick it out for at least one more semester. Your grades are poor, but you know why they are poor. Basically, you did not study smart. Law School requires you to study smart. You have to work on countless multiple choice and essay practice problems or you will never get good. Some people are successful without an outline; however, most are not. Start outlining early. Start working on practice multiple choice problems 1-2 months into the semester. Start working on practice essays 2-3 months into the semester. Study hard, but study smart.

You are in a T25 school. Being below median is not the end of the world. However, being significantly below median will hurt you even with non-big law jobs. Stay in school for one more semester. See how you do next semester (with a smart studying strategy) and then make your decision about dropping out or not.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:26 am

random5483 wrote:I think that if you have a burning passion for the law you should stick it out for at least one more semester.


megadeth317 wrote:Alright, so maybe I'm focusing on this too much now for obvious reasons but I don't have a burning desire to be a lawyer. I mean I was excited to come to law school (for what many people would say are stupid reasons--to get the degree/prestige, door opening, etc)

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 am

random5483 wrote:I know many TLSers will disagree with me. However, I think that if you have a burning passion for the law you should stick it out for at least one more semester. Your grades are poor, but you know why they are poor. Basically, you did not study smart. Law School requires you to study smart. You have to work on countless multiple choice and essay practice problems or you will never get good. Some people are successful without an outline; however, most are not. Start outlining early. Start working on practice multiple choice problems 1-2 months into the semester. Start working on practice essays 2-3 months into the semester. Study hard, but study smart.

You are in a T25 school. Being below median is not the end of the world. However, being significantly below median will hurt you even with non-big law jobs. Stay in school for one more semester. See how you do next semester (with a smart studying strategy) and then make your decision about dropping out or not.


Well I definitely understand the poster's views telling me to drop out, I cant' help thinking how things may have been different if I had studied smart and not just crammed (which is essentially what I did). I don't really have a BURNING desire to be a lawyer, but from talking to a lot of people in my class those people are much less common than not (but again they dont probably dont have my grades). I know what the real world is like and getting a job now sucks. On the flip side I know paying this amount in tuition to put off the real world is also really stupid. I find it hard to believe that at least having a JD wouldn't be beneficial in the long run. I know many will argue with this though.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 am

I find it hard to believe that at least having a JD wouldn't be beneficial in the long run. I know many will argue with this though.


Many very successful people firmly believe that JD's are very valuable. Whether or not they I right I don't know but at least you know you aren't the only one.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:39 am

Man, I want to respond to you - seriously. I might get flamed because my other posts show my current law school = not impressive (unlike yours!) but I have sound, sincere, and good advice for you. I might get flamed for it by you or others, but I'm not worried -- I want you to read it and think about it because I'm speaking very seriously & am very nearly might face what you currently are.. *gasp* OK, here goes:

Short answer = DON'T. DROP. OUT.

First, the school you or I go to is irrelevant here. I'll tell you if you want, but my advice is still going to be the same. I've gotten 1 grade back from 1st-term so far (B, CrimLaw-great for my school&class) so just take all that for what it's worth and bear with me for the rest of this post.

It just hit me no less than a month ago, but I'm exactly like you. My whole life was a burning passion to be a lawyer. I crafted my undergrad curriculum/major around it. I need you very seriously to just trust me on that. Fuck, after I graduated and got shot down on every single place I wanted to go -- I "took a year off" by spending 1.5yr in a graduate program to get a fucking M.S. that I did NOT even want! I knew it'd be a year before I could re-apply, so rather than taking a job I just decided to go to grad-school so I could still party and have a "fall-back job" or a Plan-B, in other word. I excelled with straight A's, got my degree like it wasn't no thang, and so on. The degree was excellent - pretty easy with amazing potential for some good $$$ (~60k/yr starting out average for other graduates) in case law school blew up for me. By then, I grew up a little and got a little smarter and had narrowed my law school to something realistic in terms of my LSAT score. I now realize that my goal all along has been education 1st, prestige 2nd (by way of being educated), and $$ 3rd. Everything else as a reason for law school was and is irrelevant for me.

Fast-forward to now. I just finished my first term. I moved with my current-gf (serious relationship) to a new town, new state, new city, new climate, new everything. I didn't know a goddamn thing about this place other than that I had my girlfriend with me & that this shit was going to be hard as hell. If I came out without being hurt too bad (in ANY aspect) then I'd be damn happy just to be alive. Seriously. Point being is that I knew I had back-up options if I failed law school, but I'll be goddamned if I wasn't going to try it first.

I have no clue about my grades right now, overall. I might have bombed everything but 1 and I might just come out with 1st-term grades that just "won't make me happy" - which is likely the case. I could fail 1 outright, get a D, the rest C's, I'm not sure. But, where you come in is the latter "unhappy" notion. Again, bear with me here. I have no idea about my future - I may be a lawyer, I may not be, I may move back home with a B.S. , M.S. , and a J.D. and figure out out from there. I DO know one thing though - I want those 2 letters beside my name (JD). I hate to sound dramatic or hyperbolic, but I'm extremely serious about it. Yeah, I could fail and that would blow ass and would likely depress me for a long time. But, my point is that I want to graduate law school. Period. If that means from a shitty school - fine. If it means transferring - fine. If it means never practicing law - fine. Right now, I'm pretty sure that I DO want to be a practicing/career lawyer. That might change. I dunno. We'll see I guess, but I'm not worried about that right now. I'll at least finish this year and THEN revisit the issue, but only if I need to. Or maybe even if I WANT to revisit the issue, I will. Is this babbling starting to make a little sense? lol

Anyways, back to you. You got really great grades man. Think about it. You didn't fail anything & you don't really need to re-take anything. If you didn't grasp a thing from the classes, that might be one thing, but outside of that then you're fine. I say that because I think you're looking @ law school through the same glass that I am. Namely, you're not real sure you wanna be a lawyer - but you want the degree. You're obviously smart enough for law school - that much is clear. You're at a T25 you said, so what have you got to be so upset about, my man? I'd switch spots with you in a heartbeat.. as would many. I will say that you may need to work on your study methods/priorities etc. Funny coming from a guy with 1 grade back, I know, but I did the same kind of December-cram method as you did and regardless of what grades might end up being, I plan on modifying my study approach. If this post inspires you to push through the jungle like I'm doing, then think about doing so. I'm no law or law-school expert, but I think changing your study habits can't hurt you. I know law school is "doing what works for you" so stick with that mantra and you'll be fine, study-wise.

I'm sorry for seeming like I'm a rambler, but I felt like you deserved my most sincere advice. I hope it helps and I also hope my words & tone are clear as I'm trying to make them haha. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask at all man - I mean it. I only ask that if it's something "personal", so to speak, just PM me instead of replying in the thread. Thanks!

Oh, and good luck if nothing else. If you're like me, ANY motivation is good motivation :)

edit: initial post made my first sentence sound like your school sucked lol, so I had to change some grammar a tad.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 am

megadeth317 wrote:
random5483 wrote:I know many TLSers will disagree with me. However, I think that if you have a burning passion for the law you should stick it out for at least one more semester. Your grades are poor, but you know why they are poor. Basically, you did not study smart. Law School requires you to study smart. You have to work on countless multiple choice and essay practice problems or you will never get good. Some people are successful without an outline; however, most are not. Start outlining early. Start working on practice multiple choice problems 1-2 months into the semester. Start working on practice essays 2-3 months into the semester. Study hard, but study smart.

You are in a T25 school. Being below median is not the end of the world. However, being significantly below median will hurt you even with non-big law jobs. Stay in school for one more semester. See how you do next semester (with a smart studying strategy) and then make your decision about dropping out or not.


Well I definitely understand the poster's views telling me to drop out, I cant' help thinking how things may have been different if I had studied smart and not just crammed (which is essentially what I did). I don't really have a BURNING desire to be a lawyer, but from talking to a lot of people in my class those people are much less common than not (but again they dont probably dont have my grades). I know what the real world is like and getting a job now sucks. On the flip side I know paying this amount in tuition to put off the real world is also really stupid. I find it hard to believe that at least having a JD wouldn't be beneficial in the long run. I know many will argue with this though.



Staying or dropping out really depends on your goals. If you must have big law, I would tell you to drop out right now. If you think you did badly because you studied "dumb", then I would recommend you give it one more shot. If your second semester GPA is good, you will know whether you are capable of doing well the next 2 years of law school.


Debt is a major concern. Unless you really want to be a lawyer it is probably not worth your spending more money to see if law is the right career for you. However, if you do really want to be a lawyer, then perhaps it is worth sticking it out one more semester. In your position, I would not drop out. Not till I got my second semester grades anyways.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 am

Hm, I just noticed I did forget to mention anything about debt or much about $$ in my first post. My bad, I didn't mean to make it sound like it costs $25 per semester to go to law school or anything haha. Without going into a lengthy, rambling post.. I can give you my outlook in the debt thing, but for the sake of everyone else posting in this thread (and maybe yourself? lol) I'll just wait until you ask me about it.

Just an FYI, I guess.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 am

rad law wrote:
random5483 wrote:I think that if you have a burning passion for the law you should stick it out for at least one more semester.


megadeth317 wrote:Alright, so maybe I'm focusing on this too much now for obvious reasons but I don't have a burning desire to be a lawyer. I mean I was excited to come to law school (for what many people would say are stupid reasons--to get the degree/prestige, door opening, etc)




Good point, I misread his post :)


Property is killing me tonight. Big headache. i blame Property!

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 am

random5483 wrote:Good point, I misread his post :)


Property is killing me tonight. Big headache. i blame Property!



Word. Property has made me gag since Future Interests. The landlord/tenant law shit has been a bit more interesting to me.. but that's about where it ends lol

User avatar
KeepitKind
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby KeepitKind » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:11 am

[quote="megadeth317"] if I drop out, I would try to get an internship/entry level at a record label or something/quote]

if you pursue a career in the music industry, will it be to further the career of bands similar to megadeth, megadeth317?

.. maybe u shud stay in school.

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 am

KeepitKind wrote:
megadeth317 wrote: if I drop out, I would try to get an internship/entry level at a record label or something/quote]

if you pursue a career in the music industry, will it be to further the career of bands similar to megadeth, megadeth317?

.. maybe u shud stay in school.


hahah its an old email from middle school.

Thanks to everyone whose posted, I'll respond to them all soon. Thanks again.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby phonepro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 am

My friend graduated from a school ranked in the 80s last spring and just passed her bar. She was 33%. She got a job @ a mid sized medical mal firm making 60K a year. Performance bonuses are given 3x a year.

The notion that you can't get a decent job on this board unless you are T14 and top 5% is outrageous. A JD isn't a golden ticket to financial prosperity as it once was (and probably was always exaggerated), but your future job prospects with a JD are much better than without a JD.

Stay in school, unless you hate it and know you don't want to practice law. Work harder and smarter and try to raise your grades.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby missinglink » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 am

phonepro wrote:My friend graduated from a school ranked in the 80s last spring and just passed her bar. She was 33%. She got a job @ a mid sized medical mal firm making 60K a year. Performance bonuses are given 3x a year.

The notion that you can't get a decent job on this board unless you are T14 and top 5% is outrageous. A JD isn't a golden ticket to financial prosperity as it once was (and probably was always exaggerated), but your future job prospects with a JD are much better than without a JD.

Stay in school, unless you hate it and know you don't want to practice law. Work harder and smarter and try to raise your grades.

I googled "Anecdotal Evidence" + "Logical Fallacy" and I thought I would repost this. I think it's relevant to your example:

(2) Anecdotal Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence. For example "my grandfather smoked like a chimney and died healthy in a car crash at the age of 99" does not disprove the proposition that "smoking markedly increases the probability of cancer and heart disease at a relatively early age". In this case, the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion.

In both cases the conclusion is unreliable; it may not be untrue, but it doesn't follow from the "evidence".


To the second comment that I highlighted: You are actually less employable in many fields with a JD. You are overqualified for some positions, and your resume suggests a skill set not applicable to whatever you are applying to. You are essentially an entry-level candidate with a useless degree. If you don't want to study the law, the JD won't help you, it might actually hurt you.

To the OP: Like others have said, if you want to be a lawyer, stay on for the rest of the semester. Clean up your study habits and put in the work.

If you don't really want to be a lawyer, and saw the JD as a vehicle for something else, drop out now.
Last edited by missinglink on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 am

phonepro wrote:The notion that you can't get a decent job on this board unless you are T14 and top 5% is outrageous. A JD isn't a golden ticket to financial prosperity as it once was (and probably was always exaggerated), but your future job prospects with a JD are much better than without a JD.


God, this is so true. Every single word. Not just because my school sucks, either. Bravo, sir/madam.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 am

Nothing groundbreaking to add here other than to add another vote for the "drop out" crowd.

If you really wanted to be a lawyer, I'd say talk to your profs and figure out how to improve those grades. You can probably find a job at median from a T25 with some hustling, but it almost certainly be low pay, low prestige, and tough sleddin' to manage your debt. But since you have no burning desire to be a lawyer, this is all moot, and you should get out ASAP.

Also, no idea wtf sethc is even talking about (nor do I ever). Zero reason to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a degree that opens a door to a career you are not that interested in, especially when the prospects are so crappy. And really great grades? Huh? A C+ is not a really great grade (no offense to OP). Hell, at my school I think the lowest grade you can get is a 70.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:49 am

phonepro wrote:The notion that you can't get a decent job on this board unless you are T14 and top 5% is outrageous.

Please point to me where anyone ever said that in the history of TLS. The blatantly ridiculous straw man arguments that some of you "anti-elitism" idiots peddle on here make me want to throw my laptop out the window. Maybe try to read and comprehend sometime, instead of just writing everyone off?

Also, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll turn out really good when you base 6-figure, 3-year investments on anecdotes from some random friend of yours.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:52 am

OP: it's impossible to advise you w/o knowing which "t25", or at the very least which market it's in and if you'd be happy ending up in it. Your grades aren't great (you know that), but basically one class sank you. Also, I don't know a lot of schools outside the top 20 or so that have B+ medians...it's kind of rare. If you're in law school, you put in some effort (LSAT, apps, etc.) and must have had at least a vague notion/desire to be a lawyer.

Give it one more semester, and see if you can learn from your mistakes. If you can get your GPA up closer to or (b/c your GPA's young) above median then you'll be happy you stayed the course. The idiots telling you to drop out don't have enough info to provide that as a reasonable alternative...so your tack vis-a-vis their suggestions should be simple: ignore 'em.

Best of luck w/ 2d semester.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:58 am

romothesavior wrote:Nothing groundbreaking to add here other than to add another vote for the "drop out" crowd.

If you really wanted to be a lawyer, I'd say talk to your profs and figure out how to improve those grades. You can probably find a job at median from a T25 with some hustling, but it almost certainly be low pay, low prestige, and tough sleddin' to manage your debt. But since you have no burning desire to be a lawyer, this is all moot, and you should get out ASAP.

Also, no idea wtf sethc is even talking about (nor do I ever). Zero reason to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a degree that opens a door to a career you are not that interested in, especially when the prospects are so crappy. And really great grades? Huh? A C+ is not a really great grade (no offense to OP). Hell, at my school I think the lowest grade you can get is a 70.



Uhm, well, I'm sorry you can't ever understand what I'm talking about. I tend to write in a very abstract sort of fashion, I guess. I also speak how I write & write how I speak.. so take that FWIW if you're having trouble understanding me. If you ever want to but don't, just ask me.. usually I never mind clarifying myself. Besides, I got nothin' but time when I'm not studying.

I will staunchly disagree with you that spending a shitload of money for something you'll never do is a complete waste, dude. Have you ever heard of "personal satisfaction" ? Sure, law school is a costly one and I realize not everybody has a rich uncle/aunt/parents/whatever to fall back on - but I certainly have none of those, yet I have financial options beyond law school that will allow me to pay back my debt (eventually) in a way that's comfortable. Most people reallllllllly exaggerate loan-payback and how cumbersome it is. They aren't like collections-companies or credit-card-companies.. you're not totally fucked if you can't make a monthly payment. Financial aid = flexible as shit, man. Once you get out, if you pay em SOMETHING every month, then chances are they'll be happy. There's a lot of variables, I admit, but being in debt for law school is not the end of the world. It can be done. It's just a matter of deciding if law school is worth it personally.

megadeth317
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby megadeth317 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:46 am

I appreciate all the advice both to stay and to leave. Everyone's been really helpful and Sethc I really appreciate the time you put into replying (I'll send you a PM later) I guess its a confusing time (quarter-life crisis kind of thing) and I can't say with certainty what I want--whether its to be a lawyer or not or to have to degree or not etc. Honestly though, I have no real back up plan and no substantial prior work experience to fall back on. Staying motivated is tough though because the prospect of making biglaw money is essentially gone. Its not so much the money but the fact that I don't have a shot at being the best anymore type thing.

That said something in me has to just KNOW if I can do better. I know I didnt study smart, I studied hard but I didnt start outlining until after classes ended and to be honest if you consider exam preparation to mean doing practice tests, reviewing the material, and practicing learning/writing an exam then I really only studied for 1.5 days for civ pro. I'm surprised I even got a B+ in K. I don't know if it makes any sort of difference but I wasn't exactly "with it" first semester. I didn't like the city I was in, was going through the pretty rough last legs of a long term rship, and I'm sure I was burning out hard during reading period.

If I brief, outline on the weekends, and dedicate reading period solely to practice tests/supplements and not STARTING outlines I cant imagine how I couldn't do better. Hopefully it works out but we'll see.

User avatar
Macunaíma
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Please help me decide whether to drop out...

Postby Macunaíma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 am

sethc wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Nothing groundbreaking to add here other than to add another vote for the "drop out" crowd.

If you really wanted to be a lawyer, I'd say talk to your profs and figure out how to improve those grades. You can probably find a job at median from a T25 with some hustling, but it almost certainly be low pay, low prestige, and tough sleddin' to manage your debt. But since you have no burning desire to be a lawyer, this is all moot, and you should get out ASAP.

Also, no idea wtf sethc is even talking about (nor do I ever). Zero reason to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a degree that opens a door to a career you are not that interested in, especially when the prospects are so crappy. And really great grades? Huh? A C+ is not a really great grade (no offense to OP). Hell, at my school I think the lowest grade you can get is a 70.



Uhm, well, I'm sorry you can't ever understand what I'm talking about. I tend to write in a very abstract sort of fashion, I guess. I also speak how I write & write how I speak.. so take that FWIW if you're having trouble understanding me. If you ever want to but don't, just ask me.. usually I never mind clarifying myself. Besides, I got nothin' but time when I'm not studying.

I will staunchly disagree with you that spending a shitload of money for something you'll never do is a complete waste, dude. Have you ever heard of "personal satisfaction" ? Sure, law school is a costly one and I realize not everybody has a rich uncle/aunt/parents/whatever to fall back on - but I certainly have none of those, yet I have financial options beyond law school that will allow me to pay back my debt (eventually) in a way that's comfortable. Most people reallllllllly exaggerate loan-payback and how cumbersome it is. They aren't like collections-companies or credit-card-companies.. you're not totally fucked if you can't make a monthly payment. Financial aid = flexible as shit, man. Once you get out, if you pay em SOMETHING every month, then chances are they'll be happy. There's a lot of variables, I admit, but being in debt for law school is not the end of the world. It can be done. It's just a matter of deciding if law school is worth it personally.


How do you like the idea of paying $1000/month for nondischageable debt service, on a 45k salary? Put that in your pipe and smoke it, while you mull over another two years of "personal satisfaction". It would cost you a lot less to drop out and move to Colombia for two years of cocaine orgies, and you'd probably regret it less.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests