Law School is Dumb

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
arod24

Law School is Dumb

Postby arod24 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:35 pm

There are two people. Their names are Joe and Don. They are the same in every respect. In fact, they are twins.

Universe 1: Both Joe and Don have a 3.9 GPA. Joe gets a 171 on the LSAT. The girl next to Don has a cold and sneezes a few times. Don is distracted and misses two more questions. As a result, he gets a 169. Joe gets into Harvard. Don gets into Duke.

Universe 2: Joe and Don attend law school at a T1. They are both in the same section. Their Torts professor uses many of the exact same multiple choice questions that she used two years ago on the final exam. Joe does well, as he was able to get them from a 3L. (As a hardcore gunner, Joe did not share these questions with his brother.) As a result, Joe gets an A- and ends up in the top 25% -- barely. Don gets a B+ and ends up right outside the top 25%. Many firms at OCI ignore Don. Don is left scrambling for a 45k job and has no hope of paying off his student loans while Joe makes 160k in biglaw.
Last edited by arod24 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Re: Law School is Dumb

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

The situation you describe is not unique to law school. Life isn't fair. Get over it.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

arod24 wrote:There are two people. Their names are Joe and Don. They are the same in every respect. In fact, they are twins.

Universe 1: Both Joe and Don have a 3.9 GPA. Joe gets a 171 on the LSAT. The girl next to Don has a cold and sneezes a few times. Don is distracted and misses two more questions. As a result, he gets a 169. Joe gets into Harvard. Don gets into Duke.

Universe 2: Joe and Don attend law school at a T1. They are both in the same section. Their Torts professor uses many of the exact same multiple choice questions that she used two years ago on the final exam. Joe does well, as he was able to get them from a 3L. (As a hardcore gunner, Joe did not share these questions with his brother.) Joe ends up barely in the top 25%. Don is not so lucky. As a result, many firms at OCI ignore Don. Don is left scrambling for a 45k job and has no hope of paying off his student loans while Joe makes 160k in biglaw.

There are more of these.

Srsly, Don needs to learn how to concentrate.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm

arod24 wrote:There are two people. Their names are Joe and Don. They are the same in every respect. In fact, they are twins.

Universe 2: Joe and Don attend law school at a T1. They are both in the same section. Their Torts professor uses many of the exact same multiple choice questions that she used two years ago on the final exam. Joe does well, as he was able to get them from a 3L. (As a hardcore gunner, Joe did not share these questions with his brother.) Joe ends up barely in the top 25%. Don is not so lucky. As a result, many firms at OCI ignore Don. Don is left scrambling for a 45k job and has no hope of paying off his student loans while Joe makes 160k in biglaw.

There are more of these.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:43 pm

What's your point? Life sucks, get a helmet.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:The situation you describe is not unique to law school. Life isn't fair. Get over it.

haha yeah i was just about to say this

like a "lulwut?! life isnt fair?"

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Both jobs I had had before LS were acquired through pure dumb luck and chance occurrences. That's life.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Thats just how it is. I am firmly anti-LSAT, at least in determining your competency for law school. I had a freakish incident during my LSAT which had nothing to do with studying that ended up costing me 3 points (and very possible more scholly money). Can't win 'em all. I am a firm believer that law school grades are ridiculously arbitrary as well. Your prof could have had a fight with his wife the day he graded your exam, was pissed off and decided to grade harsher than a day when he was happy cause his daughter gave birth and he was a grandpa and because of his mood graded everyone up.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm

You're dumb.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:The situation you describe is not unique to law school. Life isn't fair. Get over it.

haha yeah i was just about to say this

like a "lulwut?! life isnt fair?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscsuuKF6ZE

O fortuna.

SamuelLChang

Postby SamuelLChang » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm

What kind of jobs do the brothers get in Universe 1? Don't leave me hanging like that.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Thats just how it is. I am firmly anti-LSAT, at least in determining your competency for law school. I had a freakish incident during my LSAT LSAT, SAT, MCAT, GRE, Job Interview, Hitting on Girls, Networking Meet & Greet which had nothing to do with studying that ended up costing me 3 points (and very possible more scholly money). Can't win 'em all. I am a firm believer that law school grades law school grades, undergrad grades, grad school grades, life, jobs, resume collections, any decision by any person ever are ridiculously arbitrary as well. Your prof could have had a fight with his wife the day he graded your exam, was pissed off and decided to grade harsher than a day when he was happy cause his daughter gave birth and he was a grandpa and because of his mood graded everyone up.

life as a whole is random and based on a million different subjective factors that you have jack squat control over

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Universe 1b Both Joe and Don have a 3.9 GPA. Joe gets a 171 on the LSAT. The girl next to Don has a cold and sneezes a few times. Don is distracted and misses two more questions. As a result, he gets a 169. Joe gets into Harvard. Don retakes, gets a 175 and goes to yale?

Universe 2b: Joe and Don attend law school at a T1. They are both in the same section. Their Torts professor uses many of the exact same multiple choice questions that she used two years ago on the final exam. Joe does well, as he was able to get them from a 3L. (As a hardcore gunner, Joe did not share these questions with his brother.) As a result, Joe gets an A- and ends up in the top 25% -- barely. Don gets a B+ and ends up right outside the top 25%. Many firms at OCI ignore Don. Don is left scrambling for a 45k job and has no hope of paying off his student loans while Joe makes 160k in biglaw. Untill one day, Don buys a scratch ticket wins 100 mill and spends his days chilling on beaches and throwing wads of cash as hookers while spraying champagne all over their asses?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Can I lock a thread for being retarded? Yes? Okay.

Everybody get IBTL.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Everybody get IBTL.
Last edited by California Babe on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Can I lock a thread for being retarded? Yes? Okay.

Everybody get IBTL.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.

Sors immanis
et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus,
vana salus
semper dissolubilis,
obumbrata
et velata
michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum
dorsum nudum
fero tui sceleris.

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

WIN!

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 pm

SamuelLChang wrote:What kind of jobs do the brothers get in Universe 1? Don't leave me hanging like that.

Joe went on to a brief stint as an arsonist.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 pm

ooo i never get IBTL; at least not when i see it coming! so exciting

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”