How to handle talking to a handful of my professors?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sethc

How to handle talking to a handful of my professors?

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 pm

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads, but I want some direct advice from you folks.

I'm a 1L @ low-tier school, 2nd termer. So, from that you might can imagine how & why most, if not all, of my classes have ~125-150 people per section. I really don't mind anything about this aspect other than that it makes my professors a little more difficult to approach. I'm outgoing and have no problem speaking my mind in front of a relative stranger or anything, I just am sometimes long-winded and I don't want to come off as a pain in the ass.

I realize most, if not all of my professors have a routine of teaching ~300+ students per semester and yeah that sucks and it's the nature of the beast - but how can I approach them for sound, honest advice without coming off in a "generic" way: another student looking for brownie points & a waste of time? I'd be willing to bet that the general law professor doesn't have an attitude like this, and that's probably true where I'm at, but I think it best to avoid seeming like this in ANY respect.

I had about 2 professors from last term that I really loved and would like to sit down and have a nice chat with. It's mostly centered around career/school/life advice as opposed to being strictly related to the class I was in. I also can see a couple like that emerging already, for this semester. The trouble is, I'm worried they won't remember me at *all* and thus won't be receptive to meeting with a student not currently in one of his/her classes.. and then I'm back to square one.

One other thing - I want to start getting a grip on what practice is like & general job-seeking feedback in about 3 different, specific areas of law. So, I'm thinking about emailing some of the profs that specialize in these 2-3 and trying to set up a meeting.

You guys have any advice, experience, or feedback on how I should approach this problem? Thanks all!

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: How to handle talking to a handful of my professors?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I haven't done this yet, though I plan on sending an email soon to a professor or two from last semester. I would imagine that professors would not mind at all meeting up with you at some time. Just mention that you were in their class last semester. Then tell them you are interested in how they ended up on doing x in their career and would like to meet up to talk with them about it if they have time.

sethc

Re: How to handle talking to a handful of my professors?

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I haven't done this yet, though I plan on sending an email soon to a professor or two from last semester. I would imagine that professors would not mind at all meeting up with you at some time. Just mention that you were in their class last semester. Then tell them you are interested in how they ended up on doing x in their career and would like to meet up to talk with them about it if they have time.

Hmm, that's actually pretty good & simple advice in a roundabout way, for me lol so thanks.

Anyone else have any thoughts on handling this?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”