should i talk to my professor?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trey

should i talk to my professor?

Postby trey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:22 pm

My grades as A, A, A-, C+

I know everyone says to go talk to the professor and talk about the exam but the truth is I just didnt have a full understanding of the course. I think that based on my other grades i know how to take a law school exam and that this was (hopefully) a fluke due to a lack of understanding. Is there a point in going over my exam?

traehekat

Re: should i talk to my professor?

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

i mean, it can't hurt?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Seems like you should have talked to him before finals, but I don't see much point now. It seems like you have a good handle on exam-taking, judging by your other grades. It seems like you are saying that the grade probably reflected your understanding, so there isn't really much to talk to the prof. about.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 pm

traehekat wrote:i mean, it can't hurt?

This.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:52 pm

trey wrote: but the truth is I just didnt have a full understanding of the course.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
traehekat wrote:i mean, it can't hurt?

This.

I agree with the quoted posters. Talking to the professor cannot hurt you. However, if there was an underlying reason why you did badly (different type of exam than the ones you did well), understanding what your professor wanted might improve your handle on how to handle such exams in the future.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:47 pm

I think I agree with what the others say - there's not much point now. It sounds like you might oughta just re-take or at least think about it (which sucks) BUT, in the event you do anyway, I want to stress something:

Check your schools' policy regarding final grades.

I think it varies quite a bit from school-to-school, but I know where I'm at they have a very strict policy about contacting the prof after finals. I THINK we're not supposed to contact the prof directly regarding the test if grades aren't posted and doing so waives the right to appeal and you basically have to swallow your grade or just retake the course. I'm not sure what the process is once our grades are actually posted, but I do know that it's often a very sneaky caveat to forcing students into retaking (presumably for $).. at least that's my take on the policy. If your school is relaxed as shit about professor contact, you may not have a thing to worry about.

It's still worth checking into though because a C+ definitely doesn't suck for law school, but it would chap my ass if I had the grades you got and got shafted with a C+ haha. At any rate, think before you leap - it sounds like you're smart as shit.. and you probably understand the class concepts much better than you think you currently do. I know I'm in the same boat as you with my Torts I class.. except my grade hasn't posted. I'm going to be livid if I fail though because I know I understand what I'm supposed to from that class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Idk, I think its always worth it. I have gone to one prof with the exam and had a good discussion about it to know the small things I could have changed. I have another one scheduled for this week with another prof. Best case scenario they will give you some solid advice that you can use in the future, worst case scenario you can butter them up for a letter of rec in the future.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Well, you're right but the main point I was getting at was that you want to make sure you don't stumble into an Honor Code Violation when easily avoidable. I just did it in a way where I wouldn't sound too much like a boring ass 75yo faculty member lecturing about it lol. I've heard horror stories about HCV's coming back to haunt people when it came time for the bar.

I do have one question some of you might be able to speak about. As I've mentioned in a lot of posts, I go to a low-tier school which means there's a LOT of students, especially in all the 1L classes.. so 1on1 time with the prof is tough for me to get a handle on. I'm sure they answer a million emails from students on top of everything else they have to do.. so I'm hesitant to ask for a meeting. Some of the questions I have can't really be answered in 15-25 minutes, and with office-hours of like 3-4 hours on certain days, I can't make an appointment and expect it to just last indefinitely, right? Like, my questions aren't completely class or lecture-specific.. they're sort of intertwined with career advice and basically just are "encompassing" in general. Anyone else had to tackle this sort of thing?

Plus, I don't want to just strike up a conversation with some new professor because they're likely to think I'm just a gunner that wants nothing more than brownie-points and I promise that's not the case. It took me the whole first semester to build up enough personal rapport so that 1 or 2 out of like 5-6 (counting Intro here) could at least recognize my face and maybe name if I ever ran into them. Anyone have any problems with something like this? Obviously this isn't going to apply to most of the T25+ people and is, I think, specific to low-tier schools. I could be wrong though.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

sethc wrote:I think I agree with what the others say - there's not much point now. It sounds like you might oughta just re-take or at least think about it (which sucks) BUT, in the event you do anyway, I want to stress something:

I think it varies quite a bit from school-to-school, but I know where I'm at they have a very strict policy about contacting the prof after finals. I THINK we're not supposed to contact the prof directly regarding the test if grades aren't posted and doing so waives the right to appeal and you basically have to swallow your grade or just retake the course. I'm not sure what the process is once our grades are actually posted, but I do know that it's often a very sneaky caveat to forcing students into retaking (presumably for $).. at least that's my take on the policy. If your school is relaxed as shit about professor contact, you may not have a thing to worry about.

It's still worth checking into though because a C+ definitely doesn't suck for law school, but it would chap my ass if I had the grades you got and got shafted with a C+ haha. At any rate, think before you leap - it sounds like you're smart as shit.. and you probably understand the class concepts much better than you think you currently do. I know I'm in the same boat as you with my Torts I class.. except my grade hasn't posted. I'm going to be livid if I fail though because I know I understand what I'm supposed to from that class.

Professors usually will not talk to you about exams before they grade them. However, I have never heard of a policy where you get screwed over for discussing an exam with a professor after the grades are posted.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:05 am

random5483 wrote:
sethc wrote:I think I agree with what the others say - there's not much point now. It sounds like you might oughta just re-take or at least think about it (which sucks) BUT, in the event you do anyway, I want to stress something:

Professors usually will not talk to you about exams before they grade them. However, I have never heard of a policy where you get screwed over for discussing an exam with a professor after the grades are posted.

Well, that's sort of what I was saying, or at least trying to lol. The policies are sometime really vague & ambiguous on purpose so you could wind up with a violation in just about any scenario regarding finals. This is true where I go and though it's a low-tier school, I can't imagine the overall policy manual is drafted that much differently at every single other school. I could be wrong, but my point was to just C.Y.A. (cover-your-ass) because something with harmless intentions or is incredibly innocent should never cost you a grade or retaking the course entirely. Due diligence, my friend! Isn't that what lawyers do? :)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 am

Talk to them. Even if you had a poor grasp of the course, a C+ is just so far below your other grades that it is likely you messed up on some stuff that you can do better next time. Getting a C+ serves as a black mark on your transcript, so you want to do everything in your power not to let it happen again. And as other students said, it can't hurt.

Also, try to talk to your profs more during the semester (if you didn't do it much last semester). If you don't understand the material, you should be doing office hours as often as you can without coming off as a pain in the butt. You clearly have the ability to succeed in law school, so keep working hard and good luck next semester.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 am

I'd talk to your prof. I had a professor first semester 1L who made a point of saying he especially encouraged students who did worse in his class than in others to come and see him.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”